U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I move to New York, Hollywood (LA), or remain in Chicago?
New York 3 15.00%
Hollywood(LA) 12 60.00%
Chicago 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 9,454 times

Advertisements

My story is I'm a 20 year old aspiring hip-hop artist born and raised in Chicago, IL, looking to further my career and accomplish my dream of succeeding in the music business. I've been rapping for over 7 years, built a fairly decent online presence, and even met with prominent record labels such as Def Jam, Universal, and G-Unit Records. However, sadly I haven't been able to build a buzz or win over the support of my hometown (Chicago) for some reason. Iím a former high school dropout but as a result of tough times these past few years I decided enough was enough and enrolled in school, recently taking the GED test (I am waiting on the results now). After doing some research online I've found two schools "The Institute of Audio Research" in New York and "The Musicians Institute" in Hollywood that I'm very interested in attending! Now I live with my mom (who is sick and a struggling single mother who works part time) in Chicago. My dad does live in New York but he isnít supportive at ALL when it comes to my music career, but he does promise to help me get on my feet (don't know if I believe him or not LOL). I don't really know anyone in Hollywood/LA but from what I've heard it is a great place to be that many others like me have become successful. Being that I am broke and jobless at this point I'm just not sure what direction to go in or what to do. So with that being said do you guys/girls think I should move to New York and go to school? Should I try to conquer the unknown and move to Hollywood and go to school? Or should I just stay in Chicago and try to make it work? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,392,059 times
I say LA, go for it!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,930,592 times
If by chance you don't make it as a hip hop artiest, what is your plan B?

Why does your dad discourage you from becoming a hip hop star?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 9,454 times
My plan B in the event that being a artist doesn't work is to work in the music industry as a engineer, producer, etc or maybe even on the business side as a publicist, manager, etc which the reason why I am going back to school.

Also, the main reason is because he is a real estate agent and has always wanted me to become a businessman like him, but I just don't see that for myself atleast in that way.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM

559 posts, read 1,079,230 times
alexross: First off, I know practically nothing about the music business so don't take what I say as authoritative. Musicians Institute is well known but it costs $30,000 a year not including rent (expensive) and all other living expenses. Right now, L.A. has lots of unemployment, meaning you'd have a really tough time getting a day job. I just don't know if there will be a good chance of a payoff for the cost of coming to MI. Don't some community colleges have production/engineering classes? Business classes? Chicago is a huge city; can L.A. really offer something that Chicago doesn't? I don't know anything about New York so I can't comment. Lastly, if your mom is sick and struggling, do you want to be thousands of miles away from her?

You sound like you have passion for music and I definitely don't want to crush your dream, but, be careful, especially if you're possibly talking about tens of thousands of dollars of debt. Lots of musicians make music that really satisfies their artistry but it doesn't click with a large audience. They won't be able to live off of it but it's a great creative outlet. Maybe you can do the real estate thing with your dad to generate income( even if your heart's not in it) and do your music on the side?

I applaud you for going for your GED and give you props for writing well.

Sorry for not being more helpful. Maybe this article from last year about L.A. producer Madlib can give your some inspiration:

LA Weekly - The Madlib Mystique

Best of luck.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM

6,234 posts, read 9,538,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexross View Post
My story is I'm a 20 year old aspiring hip-hop artist born and raised in Chicago, IL, looking to further my career and accomplish my dream of succeeding in the music business. I've been rapping for over 7 years, built a fairly decent online presence, and even met with prominent record labels such as Def Jam, Universal, and G-Unit Records. However, sadly I haven't been able to build a buzz or win over the support of my hometown (Chicago) for some reason. I’m a former high school dropout but as a result of tough times these past few years I decided enough was enough and enrolled in school, recently taking the GED test (I am waiting on the results now). After doing some research online I've found two schools "The Institute of Audio Research" in New York and "The Musicians Institute" in Hollywood that I'm very interested in attending! Now I live with my mom (who is sick and a struggling single mother who works part time) in Chicago. My dad does live in New York but he isn’t supportive at ALL when it comes to my music career, but he does promise to help me get on my feet (don't know if I believe him or not LOL). I don't really know anyone in Hollywood/LA but from what I've heard it is a great place to be that many others like me have become successful. Being that I am broke and jobless at this point I'm just not sure what direction to go in or what to do. So with that being said do you guys/girls think I should move to New York and go to school? Should I try to conquer the unknown and move to Hollywood and go to school? Or should I just stay in Chicago and try to make it work? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Since your an aspiring hip-hop artist, the best choice would be to head east for New York. That IS where hip-hop originated after all. But seeing as how NY and everywhere else up north is in a major blizzard, I would go west to LA. Just because of the weather. I wouldn't put myself in a worse situation like New York even to follow my dreams. I cannot believe how much snow we have in Dallas. Right now it's bitter cold and wind chill in San Antonio. I can't imagine what New York is going through. Anyway, I say LA. Check the reviews of the muscian's institute online and see if it is reputable and what kind of programs and workshops they have and if it is right for you.

Normally, my advise would be to stay where you are because you have no job and no money and basically live rent free. But I saw the news about the north and the weather here is getting ready to kill me so I couldn't stay a minute in Chicago if I was in your shoes. And I have lived in Chicago. Great city but um, this blizzard thing ain't for me.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,392,059 times
dude is right, Chicago is a frozen hell right now, I say follow your dreams, head out to LA an take your chances

Old 02-02-2011, 04:38 PM

109 posts, read 158,685 times
Is being broke and jobless a good reason to move to a place where you don't know anybody who would be willing to help you out? Dude... seriously.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM

425 posts, read 836,314 times
I currently live in NYC, and I am looking to head west. NY is getting hammered w/ snow and ice storms all winter and more on the way. I am not familiar with the hip hop scenes in LA, but LA is the entertainment center of the world, and maybe if you can get a job somewhere else in the entertainment industry if it does not pan out.

I am a writer and comic artist, I will be working on mini-comics, screen plays, sending writing submissions to publishers and anything else I can think of, remember in any part of entertainment, it's also who you know as much as what you know. So make connections with everyone you meet, be it a bus boy, a cashier, a waitress and treat them as if they are lifelong friends because you never know who may "break in" before you. My only advise is make yourself as diverse as possible, so that way you can be ready to jump at any opportunity that comes your way.

Also you do not need to fixate on Hollywood itself, you could always live in some nearby areas that have access, like Silver Lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz & Atwater Village and Downtown LA. These are places I have become interested in, in my research.

Good luck, and hope you reach your dream.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM

396 posts, read 771,384 times
Wait.. is your dad a successful businessman in New York? Go there, see if your dad could hook you up pushing papers and do hip hop on the side. Going to LA would be a bad idea (especially if you dont know anyone).

If you did want to go to LA, you should enroll in some type of music business program to get connections. Hell, you could do that in Chicago if you wanted to (chicago has a better hip hop/rap scene than LA).

LA isn't really known for hip hop these days. NYC is much better known for that, plus you have family to help you out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or