U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,723,723 times

Advertisements

i am facing having to have to run back home after 6 years in this place. and i have good contacts, great references and marketable skills. do not underestimate how bad it is here job wise. i would wait til at least summer. it isn't like NYC in terms of unforgiving, scowling locals and rudeness. even the traffic isn't as bad as some other places- LA seems to be peculiarly proud of how bad the traffic is. there was a study done recently and LA was sixth on the list. atlanta was way worse. but that won't matter if you don't have a car, and it can be done but it isn't easy. most if not all the people i know who get by without cars have friends that can take them to the grocery store or pick them up at odd hours when the buses stop running. if you don't have that and are depending on public transport its gonna be very very tough. factor in also registration fees, and whether or not your car will pass smog. if it doesn't there is a program for poor people that will pay up to 500 bucks for repairs so it will pass. i don't know if that applies if you are coming from out of state tho. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 PM

757 posts, read 1,415,768 times
Why not Omaha? Too much like where you are now? At least there, you can use your network for employment opportunities, to help you move, etc.

What are your circumstances? I mean age an occupation. If you're young, unskilled and your earning power is low enough- sorry to be blunt - Omaha may be a better, smaller step for you right now and you may benefit from being in a less absurdly expensive, unforgiving city than LA.

Then you can use Omaha as your springboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or