U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:13 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,447,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That Ahhhhs place IS hideous.
Isn't that place unbelievably out of character? It looks like they imported that building from an industrial zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
An industrial zone from a Terry Gilliam picture.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
We had an Uncle John's Pancake House in Bloomington, MN that I recall from the 60's. They use to pass out to the kids, black cardboard handle-bar mustaches you'd stick up your nostrils.

Assume this Toledo location is the last store remaining from that chain of restaurants judging by the mustache on this guy...

Uncle Johns

Uncle Johnís is owned and operated by Paul Baumann and his son, Bret. The elder Baumann bought the restaurant 32 years ago and has been putting in 12 hour days, seven days a week ever since. Prior to his purchase in the early Ď70s, the Uncle Johnís on Secor Road had been part of a nation-wide franchise that died in the Ď60s. Baumann has kept the eatery alive; it is the lone surviving remnant of the original chain.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:07 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,428,209 times
wow.... Uncle John's brings me back to when i was a kid and used to have Sunday breakfasts out with my grandparents who lived up in Brentwood. That place was always mobbed on the weekends.

and years later i remember all us westside teens would feed our hangovers after a long night of partying since it was one of the few places open 24 hours.

iirc, the food wasn't anything special; the breakfast at say John O'Groats was 100000x better. oh, Uncle bill's is tasty but parking can be a hassle.

That reminds me, am i the only one who misses Regular Jon's?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,447,940 times
Yeah, in the early 90's I remember going in there at like 3AM with my friends.

Regular John's was good too. You could play on the fire engine until your pizza was ready, then go inside to eat with the rest of your AYSO soccer team mates -- and if you were lucky, mom gave you a few quarters for Donkey Kong.

Now the new place where Regular John's was located is some sort of pretentious prototypical New Brentwood wannabe-hipster bar & grill thing with obnoxious men and mustachioed women sitting out front, each trying to look more important than the other. *sigh*

Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
and mustachioed women

Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,314 times
we have one in toledo ohio im a hostess lol

Old 07-03-2011, 12:03 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I really miss that place. They had four different flavors of syrup at each table, and just about every sort of pancake type anybody would want. And the waitresses had those little white hats. And there was the Ms. Pacman machine that was there for about 20 years. And there was the bicycle outside with the giant front tire and tiny rear tire. That was a really cool place. Now there's that plain white building with H&R Block and an overpriced stereo store. What a shame.

Bring back my Uncle John's Pancake House!
I miss a lot of places in LA from the 80's (as a kid).

-I remember Uncle Johns. Also, all american burger on wilshire. Pollys. The old santa monica place mall, use to go trick or treating there.

There use to be a sizzler in a bank building on wilshire, I think wilshire and bundy?

I miss the marie calendars in marina del rey. Hamburger Hamlet on sepulveda.

Flakey Jakes on pico and sepulveda. I use to have back to school nights there. There was a sportings good store across the street, I think oshman's?

Places in the 80's had charm....they werent as big box and commercialized. I remember the ms pacman machine was in the lobby. SM had about 60% of the traffic it does now.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I miss a lot of places in LA from the 80's (as a kid).

-I remember Uncle Johns. Also, all american burger on wilshire. Pollys. The old santa monica place mall, use to go trick or treating there.

There use to be a sizzler in a bank building on wilshire, I think wilshire and bundy?

I miss the marie calendars in marina del rey. Hamburger Hamlet on sepulveda.

Flakey Jakes on pico and sepulveda. I use to have back to school nights there. There was a sportings good store across the street, I think oshman's?

Places in the 80's had charm....they werent as big box and commercialized. I remember the ms pacman machine was in the lobby. SM had about 60% of the traffic it does now.
The All American Burger on Sunset near Fairfax is the last one left. There are 3 remaining Hamburger Hamlets, on the Sunset Strip, in Sherman Oaks, and in Pasadena. I know of at least two remaining Marie Callenders - in Mar Vista and the Miracle Mile - although their future is uncertain.

Westside traffic was nowhere near as bad in the '80s as it has been in the last decade and a half. It was possible to get from Pico and Barrington to Beverly and La Brea in 20 minutes, or get from Pico and Barrington to Sherman Oaks (taking Beverly Glen) in 20 minutes. Even then, however, the 405 was the worst of all the freeways.

I miss what was destroyed to build Santa Monica Place. The '80s represented the death of charm and the rise of the minimall spurred on by Proposition 13.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The All American Burger on Sunset near Fairfax is the last one left. There are 3 remaining Hamburger Hamlets, on the Sunset Strip, in Sherman Oaks, and in Pasadena. I know of at least two remaining Marie Callenders - in Mar Vista and the Miracle Mile - although their future is uncertain.

Westside traffic was nowhere near as bad in the '80s as it has been in the last decade and a half. It was possible to get from Pico and Barrington to Beverly and La Brea in 20 minutes, or get from Pico and Barrington to Sherman Oaks (taking Beverly Glen) in 20 minutes. Even then, however, the 405 was the worst of all the freeways.

I miss what was destroyed to build Santa Monica Place. The '80s represented the death of charm and the rise of the minimall spurred on by Proposition 13.
It's incredible how much the traffic has changed in only 10 or 15 years. It was a pittance in the 80's. You could zip through all of the santa monica streets in no time.

When did the all american burger in westwood go out? There was one on westwood blvd, near the borders book I think. I've been to the hamburger hamlet on sunset a few times.

Some changes are for the better, like the new SM library downtown. Things like that. Other changes - horrible.

It seems like the traffic around olympic and sawtelle is some of the worst. And wilshire near westwood What a nightmare. The worst in west la? You'd think someone would have planned for that 10 or 15 years ago. The entire UCLA area seems completely outdated with the lack of parking and access, in this LA traffic.

Back to the 80's - Flakey jakes was probably my favorite. Their hotdogs were $2 or something. And McDonalds and Burger King was fun. Before some of the play area rules changed. Weren't they more lenient for awhile? Before the chains started getting sued, or parents got upset.

There was a burger king on washington blvd, near the costco. And the mcdonalds in culver city was fun, on sepulveda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles