Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 8,870 times

Advertisements

Where is the cheapest reasonably safe place for a small white female to live that's close to LA?

I will most likely have a roommate, but would still like to cut costs any way I can.

I am not currently employed outside of some odd jobs but am hoping to work (at least) two regular jobs when I get out of my current situation. I have minimal education but may attend beauty school before long, considering work as a haircutter or makeup artist as a day job. I do not expect to be making much and am accustomed to low-income conditions (I only buy clothes secondhand, I don't watch TV so no need for cable, I buy cheap food, no fancy new electronics, clean/sober/nonsmoker, etc). I have no plans to ever own a home or have a family. My only real goal is to pursue a vocal career. I know a few people in both NY and LA, and was originally considering NY since I figured LA would be more saturated, but cost of living is also a big issue for me, so I'm looking further into the possibility of LA.

Sorry if this post is disorganized, I haven't slept - but any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 02:28 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,827,125 times
You'll need to do some research and find out what specific part of LA you are interested in. When you say "close to LA", do you mean DT, the city, the county, the metro area...?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:40 PM

723 posts, read 2,994,199 times
If you're looking for a vocal career, you're going to want either: Hollywood, the west side, or the Valley; depending on the kind of gigs you wanna play.

Look on craigslist for listing for female roommate wanted. You'll find plenty of adds there that fit your needs, and you can get a feel for housing prices.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:44 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,324,588 times
Glendale has an excellent beauty school that many people I know have gone through. You can get fairly cheap studio apartments nearby as well as jobs and the local buses are free.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the help, I'm looking into all of this. Any other details I should know...? As of yet, I've never been to the state let alone the area.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:30 AM

175 posts, read 730,173 times
Stay where you are and get better at your music. Record demos, put up a website, play local gigs etc. LA is very expensive and you will probably need to spend alot of time working some day job just to pay the bills. If your music is really good and people hear you online and suggest you come to LA for auditions etc.... then it would be the time to go. You sound really green at this point.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:32 AM

175 posts, read 730,173 times
Oh another thing... Just buy a plane ticket and VISIT LA.. Don't just have some pipe dream in your head of what the place is about.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
Stay where you are and get better at your music. Record demos, put up a website, play local gigs etc. LA is very expensive and you will probably need to spend alot of time working some day job just to pay the bills. If your music is really good and people hear you online and suggest you come to LA for auditions etc.... then it would be the time to go. You sound really green at this point.
I don't want to get into my background on here, but staying where I am is absolutely out of the question and rather expensive as well. I already plan on spending most of my time working "some day job". I am not expecting "easy" or even "success".

Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
Oh another thing... Just buy a plane ticket and VISIT LA.. Don't just have some pipe dream in your head of what the place is about.
I am not one to rush into things. Right now, I'm trying to do as much research as possible on the place (among other places). Though judging by your posts you seem to think it, I am not expecting a shiny happy easy street.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:47 PM

28 posts, read 157,838 times
i wld recommend lving in west hollywood or santa monica. Honestly if ur white and not a native of LA u shld move to a safe part of twn or else ul be a lone ranger. Im just trying to be helpful i was raised near LAX which is the la airport in a very shady neighborhood. Im white and in my neighborhood there were only 3 white families so i tried to make piece with everyone no matter color. LA is really a city of diversity u can find anyone in a neighborhood in the less gang populated parts of town. For a small white female stay safe on the coast or west hollywood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles