Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 PM

13 posts, read 26,266 times

Advertisements

My son (21 yrs. old) and his friend are going to be relocating to Long Beach from Pennsylvania to attend WyoTech's Long Beach campus. ANY advice or tips would be welcome. They are in need of housing, preferably close to WyoTech, 2161 Technology Place in Long Beach. Any advice on any student friendly housing in maybe downtown Long Beach would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 AM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAmom View Post
My son (21 yrs. old) and his friend are going to be relocating to Long Beach from Pennsylvania to attend WyoTech's Long Beach campus. ANY advice or tips would be welcome. They are in need of housing, preferably close to WyoTech, 2161 Technology Place in Long Beach. Any advice on any student friendly housing in maybe downtown Long Beach would be appreciated.
That campus is not really in the center of anything. The closest area with students would be downtown. It's less than 5 minutes by car but I doubt you could walk it. Could probably bike it. As you would expect this is an urban area.

There are also a lot of Cal State Long Beach students in the Belmont Shore area and traffic circle area in the apartment complexs by PCH and Atherton. These areas would be 10 to 15 minutes by car. BS is a coastal area with retail,coffee shops, etc that the students tend to like and the circle area is mostly suburban.

In either case if they don't have a car Long Beach has a pretty good bus system and is relatively bikable.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM

171 posts, read 530,424 times
Have you contacted the school about this? You don't say how much money they will have to spend on housing. Or is the cost of it included in the expense of going to the school?

Talk with Us Live - Simply Submit Your Phone Number

Housing for your son or daughter
Where a student will live is just as important as the education they’ll receive. Many of our students discover the housing choices made available offer the same comforts and freedom of having their own place. WyoTech offers student housing in Blairsville, Laramie, Sacramento, Long Beach, and Fremont.
Students are also provided with transportation to and from school at selected campuses and housing sites. Both the education and safety of our students is a top priority at WyoTech, and comfortable and safe housing allows our students to live with others who share the same level of interest and passion for getting ahead in life.
Everything Parents Need to Know about WyoTech

Long Beach Housing
WyoTech Long Beach’s Student Services Department assists students in searching for affordable rentals. The campus provides referrals for students in need of housing and is successful in helping students find compatible living arrangements.
Contact us to learn more
WyoTech Long Beach - What You Should Know

Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 PM

That is great info thank you...my son rides his bike everywhere anyway!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 PM

Oh I've been in contact with the school about this. Yes, on their website it says it assists with affordable housing. Well so far the only thing I've gotten is a link from them for the Gazette. I'm slightly discouraged by this...as for how expensive their school is, I think that they should do a little more than e-mail me a link for the Gazette. I've called so many places listed on their and they all require proof of income that shows 2.5 times the rent as income which for a student is just not possible.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Thank you both, we've decided on the Fremont, CA campus as they provide student housing. The person we spoke with at the Long Beach campus misinformed us.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Fremont is pretty nice.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 PM

171 posts, read 530,424 times
I'm sorry the choice of Long Beach for school didn't work out because of the housing problem. I lived in the Bay Area when I was young and loved being so close to San Francisco. I hope everything works out for them and they enjoy the expereince of living in the Bay Area.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM

We did not have a positive experience with WyoTech's rep. My son is now exploring his options and looking into LATTC - Los Angeles Trade Technical College.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAmom View Post
We did not have a positive experience with WyoTech's rep. My son is now exploring his options and looking into LATTC - Los Angeles Trade Technical College.
Is there a reason he is looking to move to CA instead of training in PA? Seems like a huge expense to go cross country for a trade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles