U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 12:57 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,147,036 times

Advertisements

There is a Citywide Primary Election on March 8, 2011, and a General Election on May 8, 2011.
http://cityclerk.lacity.org/election/

I have just received my ballot in the mail, as a stark reminder that where I live falls within the City of Los Angeles What do you guys all think about the propositions proposed this time around? Are any of you guys planning to vote this time around? Given that municipal/local elections always have low turnout (in a country that already has low voter turnout as it is), I feel that the latter is a fair question to ask.

As we speak, I'm sending in my mail-in ballot. Given that the City of LA's budget is SEVERELY out of whack, I think its sort of a good development that most of the propositions directly address the budget problem. Problem is I wish that there were more sweeping changes besides the ones they are proposing, but maybe that will change by the General Election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:42 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,297,103 times
We could start by placing a ballot proposition to ammend the city charter so that:

1.) City Council becomes a part time job with a max pay of $25K a year. Currently our city council is paid $178K a year. To put that in perspective, thats 28% more than the next highest paid city council...Washington DC...is paid, at $130K a year.

2.) Eliminate all staffers for the city council as well as the 2 million dollar a year slush fund. Instead assign 5 city employees to staff the city council field offices and take citizen complaints and concerns. The field offices should refer all calls for information to the city 311 line, which already exists for that purpose. Because its a part time job,the city council person and the staff assigned to them ought not be in the business of catering to individual citizens on most city related matters.

3.) Elminate patronage. Eliminate the Mayor's ability to hire exempt employees, and force the mayor to use the civil service process to staff his office. Also have the same apply to termed out city council people...make it so that the only way they can work for the city again is to apply for a civil service position. No more corrupt drug & hooker addicted councilmen working for the city after they are no longer on the city council.

Save the city ~ $60 millions dollars a year right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or