Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,117 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move from Florida to downtown L.A. Reason being I am starting school in October. I have been searching the net for cheap studio/efficiency around $600-$725. However, because I am a female and will be living alone I do want to be in atleast a decent area. I do plan to take my car but I would like to stay around the 90015 or 90017 area because I would be close to my school. Any suggestions of Apartments in decent areas that I can consider???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Define decent, because I'm not sure your budget will get you a studio/efficiency in a decent area by my definition. Maybe Koreatown, which is near downtown but I hesitate to call it decent. What about sharing a place in Silverlake, Hollywood, echo park, or downtown.

Apartments you are able to afford will typically be in less than decent areas. Roommates are a good idea.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,117 times
I would want to get a roommate but the fact I don't know anyone in L.A is the problem. Does anyone know what kind of areas public housing will be located?? Also, how is the job market, I plan to have an studio in early August and want to have a job by early October, is that realistic in L.A?? I will have my AA degree before I move, will that help me out a little bit with finding a job??

Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
IN rough areas. Do you even qualify for it?

The job market is really bad. What kind of job are you thinking of. I'm sure you'd be able to land something in the service industry at least.

Looking for roommates, that's what craigslist and various other sites are for

Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Are you starting school or looking for a job? Your school should be able to help you with student housing.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2011 View Post
I have been searching the net for cheap studio/efficiency around $600-$725. However, because I am a female and will be living alone I do want to be in atleast a decent area.
Not realistic IMO. Only with a roommate.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,806 times
I would think about getting a roommate and maybe looking up around Los Feliz or Atwater Village area. It will put you at ease. Some of the areas you are talking about, you may not feel comfortable living in. IMO

Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2011 View Post
I would want to get a roommate but the fact I don't know anyone in L.A is the problem. Does anyone know what kind of areas public housing will be located?? Also, how is the job market, I plan to have an studio in early August and want to have a job by early October, is that realistic in L.A?? I will have my AA degree before I move, will that help me out a little bit with finding a job??
What school will you be attending? Oct is a strange time for the start of new semesters. I would suggest you go through the college housing dept and look for others that will need room mates.

the job market is plain awful, what is your field? As for public housing, what are you thinking of when you say "public housing"? You certainly do not really want to even consider that for a day, plus the wait lists can be years long.

I think you need to do a whole lot of research before you make this move.

Nita

Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 PM

18 posts, read 66,787 times
Whatever you do, make sure you're prepared to succeed before moving to LA. I'd say have at least 8 months of living expenses plus an emergency fund saved up; your own working car; and a full wardrobe. It's even better if you can have a couple of second interviews or a job offer lined up for you already when you get there.

When I moved to CA as a single gal about 20 years ago, I advanced my resume before I got there, so I had a job in a week. I was also able to stay with my friend's family until we found a place to share. I had a roommate for about 9 months, and then I moved to my own place for another 9 months. Even way back then, when my rents were $430 with a roommate in Torrance and $695 for an apartment on my own in Hawthorne, money was tight for me on a social worker's salary. I had a pretty hefty savings account to start, but it didn't seem to last very long.

Are you already accepted into and enrolled in your school? If not, you may want to do a lot more research before taking the plunge and moving to LA. School will still be there, and it will still cost money!

Roommates are fairly easy to find; you just have to talk to them A LOT and run reference checks before moving in. If you can find someone you get along with and that you can share expenses with, it makes life a lot easier.

As far as areas, I only know about living in Torrance (good) and Hawthorne (was OK 20 years ago, not so sure now). There are nicer neighborhoods in Los Angeles, and I'm sure folks will weigh in soon. You can check the apartment rents on Trulia.com to get a feel of what you'd pay for a place on your own or a roommate in the neighborhoods you like.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what are you thinking of when you say "public housing"? You certainly do not really want to even consider that for a day, plus the wait lists can be years long.
One can always pay a visit to Imperial Courts or Nickerson Gardens to find out, but I wouldn't readily recommend such a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles