U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,390,422 times

Advertisements

^That might have happened a few years ago. These days they won't allow it. Unless, of course, your asian girl buddy was the one driving.

when you get back to LA, don't even go over the limit 5... I'm telling you

I actually used to drive a crappy beat up car and used to speed/not care about anything, and I remember passing by cops, nothing ever happened. as soon as I switched to something pretty desirable, they were on my ass. so it is partially about what you drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,731,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
to sum it up: white chick = LAPD loves you and lets you go.

i've heard stories from my white female friends about how lenient the cops are on them. I was in the car with one of my white female friends, she was tipsy and made a left turn too fast or whatever bs, cop pulls her over. ahve you been drinking? "OH NO MR OFFICER IM SORRY", he doesnt even ask for license or registration, doesnt even give an infraction, just lets her go.

or another girl was speeding on the 10 at 3 am drunk out of her mind, cop pulls her over, she denies drinking and shows some cleavage, gets off with a speeding ticket.

if you're a male of color, or a white male in a nice car, police hate you. it's an unfair system.
yeah, true, but they haven't even STOPPED me. never even noticed me. i am a really good driver tho, and with my big van i don't drive fast, etc- so i haven't given them a reason. its not like they have stopped me and let me go, they just never stop me. hell, back home i got pulled over all the time for looking too freaky or what have you. i have had cops say "you HAVE to have someting on you!" nope. here, they got bigger fish to fry. or else they are just a bunch of racists....

Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,825,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^That might have happened a few years ago. These days they won't allow it. Unless, of course, your asian girl buddy was the one driving.

when you get back to LA, don't even go over the limit 5... I'm telling you

I actually used to drive a crappy beat up car and used to speed/not care about anything, and I remember passing by cops, nothing ever happened. as soon as I switched to something pretty desirable, they were on my ass. so it is partially about what you drive.
It also depends on where you are. The only time I ever saw cars pulled over in Manhattan beach, they were beaters with nonwhites at the wheel. I blew past a cop sitting on Rosecrans at about 10 over once in my then-new Jetta and was positive I was gonna get lit up... he just sat there, but then I'd get pulled over going the speed limit in a straight line on an empty 5-lane boulevard and accused of nearly running over Cruz Bustamante as he tried to usher some disabled nuns across the street while going 75mph over the limit getting fellated by a hooker

The LAPD really is out of control. If they're not kicking in the door to the wrong house and throwing an abuelita on the ground, putting an MP5 at her and demanding to know where the coke is, then they're pulling over a working stiff obeying traffic laws because they don't like his car, skin tone, or the way the sun hit the rear window and writing him a $1000 ticket and a summons to court.

When I first moved up to the Bay, I was sitting at a light and an Oakland PD cruiser shot by me as I was at a light, then reversed and came back. The cops were smiling and said, "hey buddy! Did anyone ever tell you that you look like Quentin Tarantino?!" I laughed and then they told me I had a nice car, and went on their merry way. Quite a contrast!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,148,997 times
I don't cruise around anymore but used to enjoy driving the curves of Mulholland when I was in my late teens/early 20's.

I try to stay off the roads as often as possible I can't stand the traffic, or crazy drivers.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,731,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It also depends on where you are. The only time I ever saw cars pulled over in Manhattan beach, they were beaters with nonwhites at the wheel. I blew past a cop sitting on Rosecrans at about 10 over once in my then-new Jetta and was positive I was gonna get lit up... he just sat there, but then I'd get pulled over going the speed limit in a straight line on an empty 5-lane boulevard and accused of nearly running over Cruz Bustamante as he tried to usher some disabled nuns across the street while going 75mph over the limit getting fellated by a hooker

The LAPD really is out of control. If they're not kicking in the door to the wrong house and throwing an abuelita on the ground, putting an MP5 at her and demanding to know where the coke is, then they're pulling over a working stiff obeying traffic laws because they don't like his car, skin tone, or the way the sun hit the rear window and writing him a $1000 ticket and a summons to court.

When I first moved up to the Bay, I was sitting at a light and an Oakland PD cruiser shot by me as I was at a light, then reversed and came back. The cops were smiling and said, "hey buddy! Did anyone ever tell you that you look like Quentin Tarantino?!" I laughed and then they told me I had a nice car, and went on their merry way. Quite a contrast!
hahahahahaha
i have actually had cops show up to our building in venice twice, and once was because we were shooting arrows in the alley at the dumpster for the hell of it (and we were all drunk). the cops laughed and said, "you KNOW this is a bad idea, right?" and let us go. then another time my friend (latino friend, btw) lost his wallet in hollywood, and they brought it back to him. WTF? they also caught the grim sleeper, let us not forget.

as much of an anti-authoritarian (or as my friend says 'antidisestablishmentarian') as i have always been i will give props to the cops. they aren't as bad as the redneck cops i grew up with who had nightsticks permanently set on "freak". and anyway, the crime rate has dropped hugely, and alot of gangbangers are in jail, and what do i do if i am a cop and i see a latino guy with tattoos, wifebeater and standing on a corner of a known gang street? i mean, really, what the hell do folk do? if you are just a young latino dude with no gang affiliation but you LOOK the part just because that is your thang, then i guess its hard for the cops to tell the good dudes from the bad dudes. hell, a friend of mine went to a bar in altadena with a snoop jacket on, and he got the old "where you from" number pulled on him by some guys there. i mean, this guy is like a hepster who probably couldn't throw a punch if he tried.......damn, but i am digressing.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,390,422 times
Quote:

Yeah, or killing the family dog. That's a favorite tactic of police.

Never, ever, call the police over for a minor incident. Then the situation is in their hands. They take control, and they're usually trigger happy. Mom and dad yelling too loudly? Call the cops? Suddenly dad's facing a felony and jail time.

The neighbors disturbing you with their party? The cops will come, your dog will bark at them, and you just lost Sparky.

You can actually get a $1000 ticket and 2 points on your driving record just for squealing your tires briefly (exhibition of speed)

Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,854,102 times
This is the definition of a "hijacked" thread.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:02 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,088,941 times
i do drive around, but not on purpose. i just happen to have friends all over this town. also, i prefer surface streets, that has me driving around quite a bit. most of the time im on public trans.

do i run into people. yes. all the time. no matter where i am at.
but that has more to do with the fact that this IS MY CITY. and i know people. and i end up where people like to be at.

In a real sense, LA is pretty small. people know people. i happen to know quite a bit of them... that happens with age.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM

425 posts, read 1,681,402 times
Quote:

Manhattan Beach isn't patrolled by the LAPD, however. And my friend did get pulled over once (in Manhattan Beach by MBPD), but he was having a lot of issues with his registration because of a very old ticket he thought he had paid. They actually let him go, but we also thought that if we had been pulled over by the LAPD, he probably would have been hauled off to jail.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

I still love cruising around LA. I haven't done it a lot recently, because I normally like to cruise with a friend. But sometimes when I'm on the freeway and there's a traffic jam or I just feel like it, I get off and try to figure my way home on city streets.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,825,514 times
LA is an awesome town to cruise, if you don't mind writing off an extra $30 for gas for the week and like to explore.

I found so many awesome restaurants, shops, parks, etc. just because of wanderlust and insomnia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or