Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a great NYC type (thin crust) pizza that delivers in Burbank or NoHo?

I hardly ever eat pizza anymore, and when I do... I want it to be amazing. I can't do what I've done in the past... try every pizza in the new town as I'm not in my 20s (or even early 30s) anymore, heh.

I've only had Dino's (since it's right down the street from me) and I don't like it. Any thoughts?

Also, I figure I'll throw this out there, any good Chicago-style pizza for my husband?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM

42 posts, read 69,867 times
There are some decent places, still nothing like NYC/Boston or Chicago style.

Santino's in Sherman Oaks on Woodman for thin crust.

Taste of Chicago in Burbank owned by the actor Joe Mantegna. FYI, the deep dish is like $30.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,967,143 times
I am originally from Boston, been here in Los Angeles going on forty years, and finding a comparable pizza in this state does not exist.
People here don't know how to make a good tasting pizza.
Until they have a pizza made in New York, or Boston, they don't know pizza.
Out here , people think Dominos, and Pizza hut are great pizzas.
That sticky gooey white cheese that's like rubber is what they call good here in California.
My brother just came back from a visit too Boston, and mentioned he had been to a pizza place that is still around since I was a kid, and my mouth watered for one of their pizzas.
Bob.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:53 PM

42 posts, read 69,867 times
Regina's in Boston. yum!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Sorry to deflate this statement, but MEH. Wasn't bowled over by DiFara's and Totonno's. Very good, but not up to the hype that former New Yorkers heaped on them.

Quote:
No I don't, and I'm a people. I wouldn't touch that crap with your hands.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Well, I'm going to answer my own question. I went on Yelp and did some digging and finally ordered a pie from North End Pizzeria in Burbank tonight. They do "Boston style" pizza.

It. Was. Awesome.

Every bit as good (if not better) as Regina's! Yay! I found my pizza place! Kind of expensive... but worth it.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I am originally from Boston, been here in Los Angeles going on forty years, and finding a comparable pizza in this state does not exist.
People here don't know how to make a good tasting pizza.
That sticky gooey white cheese that's like rubber is what they call good here in California.
My brother just came back from a visit too Boston, and mentioned he had been to a pizza place that is still around since I was a kid, and my mouth watered for one of their pizzas.
Bob.
The worst is that weird "sweet" pizza they have out here. Like, they put sugar in the crust or something!

I gotta say, up until tonight, I would have said the only thing Boston (where I'm from too) has over LA is the pizza. But no more!

Now there is nothing holding me back from complete adoration of LA.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 PM

What is Boston-style pizza? I've never even been to Boston. Although, one of my most favorite dessert items is Boston cream pie.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
What is Boston-style pizza? I've never even been to Boston. Although, one of my most favorite dessert items is Boston cream pie.
Honestly? I'm not sure what the difference is between "Boston style" and "NYC style." I suspect not much.

It's thin. There's more sauce on it (although, I asked for extra sauce and it came with just the right amount. I always need to ask for extra sauce in LA or it will have hardly any on it). There's a lot of oil. It's floppy as hell. The sauce is nicely spiced (but not too spicy). There's a nice amount of good-tasting non-rubbery cheese. And you gain about 8 pounds just by looking at it.

All I know is it says "Boston-style pizza" on the website and "Boston's Finest" on the box. And, well, that sold me.

There are rumors (on Yelp) that the owner has the water for the crust imported from Boston. I've heard one reason the pizza on the west coast isn't so great is the hard water here vs. the soft water in Boston. So, maybe that's it... I don't know.

I'm just really happy to have found this place.

My husband is from Chicago and is much more into a thicker crust pizza, but he liked it too.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 AM

On my list of things to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles