Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,903 times

Advertisements

Do the South Bay cities, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, El Segundo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM

34 posts, read 66,820 times
Yeah best weather wise with good schools would probably be Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Venice or Santa Monica. They all have pretty decent public schools. The downside is all those cities are along hte 405 freeway so if you go out, youll be dealing with traffic everyday.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
?????????

Your asking for basically the very most expensive areas of LA that aren't Beverly Hills, San Marino, or Bradbury, but they you throw in this requirement?

Bizarre IMO.

Theres basically no way to get around this. I'm mean, really....places do not get great schools with "diversity economically or socially".

I suppose North of Montana in Santa Monica cause the multimillionaires there like to pretend they don't care about money.

No kidding. Doesn't even sound like the OP has spent anytime at all in CA or doing any research.

Sounds like they want to hob knob with movie stars as long as they're down to earth...LOL... and of course socially diverse.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 AM

63 posts, read 209,487 times
Pacific Palisades or Santa Monica (north of Montana) would probably appeal to you. People are pretty down to earth, public schools are good (Palisades Elementary is awesome), and there are independent shops and restaurants to walk to. Pacific Palisades is a little more isolated--you have to take either Sunset Blvd, PCH, or a canyon street to get anywhere else, but it's a nice town with community events, great weather, and proximity to Will Roger's Beach. Santa Monica has more stuff to do (3rd Street Promenade and Santa Monica Mall, lots of restaurants, etc), but also more homeless people and more crime.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:28 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanieb View Post
Please-can you help me out. Currently in NYC area-relocating to California...

a) beautifully scenic area (Great beaches, clean, upscale feeling etc.)
WARM WEATHER, my husband is loving Berkeley, but Im concerned about the weather-I sort of feel if I am moving all the way from NYC to a new life in CA-I want that great CA sunny weather....which makes me think maybe Southern CA is the best bet...?? that being said-the type of people we are would love a place like berkeley but me wanting the "sun" where would you point us then for Southern CA???

b) Great Public schools (very important as we have 4 children!)

c) Walkable downtown area w/ unique one of a kind boutiques, restaurants, nightlife (we dont get out that much these days but still :>)

d) Cultural opportunities nearby (Important-we have always loved 'college towns' b/c of the offerings etc...Im not necessarily crunchy granola girl-Im pretty laid back but do like to get dressed up every now & then....

e) Down to earth, laid back vibe (ie-NOT materialistic, showy, money focused etc.) Perhaps a place w/ more diversity economically or socially or that is super wealthy-but the people don't really even care much about $ so there isnt a focus...???? open to suggestions w/ this issue...? this is important to me.

g) other young families ?

h) Love old architecture (from the 20's etc.)

thats about it....i know its a lot of requirements-but if there is anyway you can help me out that would be great!

So as not to offend anyone-If we chose a place like berkeley-I think id love the people so much (usually no one snotty, stuck up etc...) and Id prob. be on the 'cooler' side of folks :> that being said I can easily be in a more burb-mainstream place but typically find that the people are more small minded-and not as individualistic & more conformist a bit more homogenous...I love the arts, the main thing is we are very down to earth folks....

I have been to LA--my main concern is the way of life & the focus on material stuff.....? Someone mentioned S. Pasadena? I love Laguna Beach but worried about the public schools? .People say San Diego is "conservative" but perhaps Mission Hills or LaJolla/Del Mar...I really don't know which way we should go here. From the looks of it-Santa Barbara sounds GREAT!--we want to be able to get on a plane back to NY easily & it looks like SB has to go via LA or somewhere else....although maybe it would be worth it for such a pretty place? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as Im trying to do as much research before we go out to visit & narrow in..

Really-we want absolutely great weather, beautiful scenery, wonderful beaches, lots for the kids to do & nice down to earth people......

Thanks so much!!!
I think Berkeley is "special." You won't find too many places like it. Coastal So Cal tends to be conservative. You should try the Santa Barbara area.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanieb View Post
...an area that is super wealthy-but the people don't really even care much about $ so there isnt a focus...? other young families....love Laguna Beach but worried about the public schools? Really-we want absolutely great weather, beautiful scenery, wonderful beaches, lots for the kids to do & nice down to earth people......
And I want a pony for Christmas. Seriously, try Laguna Beach; the schools are very good.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 9,244 times
You seem to get the same answers regardless of where you post: Santa Barbara or Laguna Beach.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:51 PM

151 posts, read 223,872 times
are you crazy live in santa monica or OC but never san fransisco, no san fransisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles