U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 10,978 times

Advertisements

Please-can you help me out. Currently in NYC area-relocating to California...

a) beautifully scenic area (Great beaches, clean, upscale feeling etc.)
WARM WEATHER, my husband is loving Berkeley, but Im concerned about the weather-I sort of feel if I am moving all the way from NYC to a new life in CA-I want that great CA sunny weather....which makes me think maybe Southern CA is the best bet...?? that being said-the type of people we are would love a place like berkeley but me wanting the "sun" where would you point us then for Southern CA???

b) Great Public schools (very important as we have 4 children!)

c) Walkable downtown area w/ unique one of a kind boutiques, restaurants, nightlife (we dont get out that much these days but still :>)

d) Cultural opportunities nearby (Important-we have always loved 'college towns' b/c of the offerings etc...Im not necessarily crunchy granola girl-Im pretty laid back but do like to get dressed up every now & then....

e) Down to earth, laid back vibe (ie-NOT materialistic, showy, money focused etc.) Perhaps a place w/ more diversity economically or socially or that is super wealthy-but the people don't really even care much about $ so there isnt a focus...???? open to suggestions w/ this issue...? this is important to me.

g) other young families ?

h) Love old architecture (from the 20's etc.)

thats about it....i know its a lot of requirements-but if there is anyway you can help me out that would be great!

So as not to offend anyone-If we chose a place like berkeley-I think id love the people so much (usually no one snotty, stuck up etc...) and Id prob. be on the 'cooler' side of folks :> that being said I can easily be in a more burb-mainstream place but typically find that the people are more small minded-and not as individualistic & more conformist a bit more homogenous...I love the arts, the main thing is we are very down to earth folks....

I have been to LA--my main concern is the way of life & the focus on material stuff.....? Someone mentioned S. Pasadena? I love Laguna Beach but worried about the public schools? .People say San Diego is "conservative" but perhaps Mission Hills or LaJolla/Del Mar...I really don't know which way we should go here. From the looks of it-Santa Barbara sounds GREAT!--we want to be able to get on a plane back to NY easily & it looks like SB has to go via LA or somewhere else....although maybe it would be worth it for such a pretty place? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as Im trying to do as much research before we go out to visit & narrow in..

Really-we want absolutely great weather, beautiful scenery, wonderful beaches, lots for the kids to do & nice down to earth people......

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,586 times
i would say Manhattan Beach would be a perfect fit for you! thats where I live, and there are a lot of families here, no stuck up people that i've seen so far, GREAT public schools, very cute little downtown with lots of little stores and cafes! It's also very close to the beach obviously and the weather is mild year round.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
What line of work are you in?
Where will you work?
Buy or rent? Budget?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM

600 posts, read 1,257,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where will you work?
Buy or rent? Budget?
This. We cant really give advice if we dont know what your rental/purchase budget is. And how far you are willing to commute would be helpful too

Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where will you work?
Buy or rent? Budget?
With four kids it doesn't sound like you're retiring. How do you support yourself?

No one can give you any help unless you know where you will be working.

Sounds more like you're just looking out the window in NY dreaming of warmer weather.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
With four kids it doesn't sound like you're retiring. How do you support yourself?

No one can give you any help unless you know where you will be working.

Sounds more like you're just looking out the window in NY dreaming of warmer weather.

The original poster posted identically on the Orange County forum. They both work at home and they want to rent for now but their budget will be around $800K.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:33 PM

8 posts, read 10,978 times
Thanks for the above poster-this is me..yes we both work from home so we can work from anywhere....Narrowed down to LA, SF and Orange County....if the Manhattan beach person is on-can you tell me are most of the people in the Entertainment Industry? (b/c we're not) prob. will rent for a year but budget around $800k (i know its not going to get much-maybe a townhouse in a great area) we'd rather be in a fantastic area in a townhouse then a brand new 3000 sf house somewhere else.....hope that helps? I appreciate everyones advice so far! thanks so much...

Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,299,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanieb View Post
e) Down to earth, laid back vibe (ie-NOT materialistic, showy, money focused etc.) Perhaps a place w/ more diversity economically or socially or that is super wealthy-but the people don't really even care much about $ so there isnt a focus...???? open to suggestions w/ this issue...? this is important to me.

?????????

Your asking for basically the very most expensive areas of LA that aren't Beverly Hills, San Marino, or Bradbury, but they you throw in this requirement?

Bizarre IMO.

Theres basically no way to get around this. I'm mean, really....places do not get great schools with "diversity economically or socially".

I suppose North of Montana in Santa Monica cause the multimillionaires there like to pretend they don't care about money.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanieb View Post
Thanks for the above poster-this is me..yes we both work from home so we can work from anywhere....Narrowed down to LA, SF and Orange County....if the Manhattan beach person is on-can you tell me are most of the people in the Entertainment Industry? (b/c we're not) prob. will rent for a year but budget around $800k (i know its not going to get much-maybe a townhouse in a great area) we'd rather be in a fantastic area in a townhouse then a brand new 3000 sf house somewhere else.....hope that helps? I appreciate everyones advice so far! thanks so much...

No, there are no people from the Entertainment Industry in MB.. I think there are like one celebrity living in Manhattan Beach and he is an athleet (Id never heard of him before someone told me)..

Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 PM

1,725 posts, read 5,935,284 times
Please do those of us in the South Bay a favor. Move to San Francisco. If for no other reason than you want to be sooo cool, yet don't know the usage of then and than.

Quote:
I think id love the people so much (usually no one snotty, stuck up etc...) and Id prob. be on the 'cooler' side of folks
Quote:
"super wealthy-but the people don't really even care much about $ so there isn't a focus."
It's important to you? Are you looking to sneak in and "fit in" because no one talks about money? Not gonna happen in the LA area. SF will try to disguise it, but you'll still be the mommy at the sandbox asking what you have to do to get your little one into the best pre-pre-school, but it doesn't matter, because you don't care about money. I'm sorry, truly, but your post made me laugh out loud and then I shook my head.

Yep CDers, familiar with my posts, I'm in one of THOSE moods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or