Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,538 times

Advertisements

It was recommended by a friend who goes to school in Cal State- Fullerton. Not sure he knows alot about LA but he's really the only contact I had out there.

Please if you know of anywhere else that would cost the same, please let me know. Also, we aren't entertainers, we are just trying to start life somewhere new - so we chose LA.

I won't have a car at first but I can always save up for one when I get there. I want to try to use all my savings for any living expenses, then a car later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,953,573 times
Well - if he goes to Cal State Fullerton it is certainly odd that he would reccomend Valley Village as an alternative to his area - not that VV is bad - but like others who have posted here I think it seems an arbitrary option. That said , I have never lived in the Valley - I have lived and do work/live in North O.C/S.E. LA counties - and spend a lot of time in Fulerton. I don't know if you are looking to rent or buy but either Fullerton or Whittier or even La Mirada would likely be similar in cost. If you are comaring Fullerton and Valley Village - it really comes down to where you want to live - u are talking at least 30 miles or more distance between these locations. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 660 times
If you are looking for a pedestrian friendly town where you could have a lot of activities at your convenience (grocery store, retail stores, boutiques, restaurants, bars, beach) without a car (yet), then I suggest looking at Hermosa Beach or Manhattan Beach. You may or may not be in sticker shock for apartment rentals, but the lifestyle is pretty laid-back & there is a lot of action there especially during the summer. I grew up in Torrance and frequented these beach areas a plenty when I was younger, single and no kids!! I also really like Fullerton for its small town charm in the downtown area, which would be pedestrian friendly for you. But I will caution you that a car is a MUST here!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,982,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaEvilGenius View Post
Hey everyone,

I plan on moving to California from Jersey City, NJ this September. I think I'm going to settle for Fullerton, LA, or Valley Village. Only problem is I don't have a car bc like NYC we use lots of public trans here in Jersey City.

Am I going to survive in CA without a vehicle? I know Fullerton's website says it has tons of transportation.

Thanks in advance,

DEG
Valley Village and Fullerton are no where near each other ... Where are you planning to work/go to school? I use mass transit as my sole means of getting around but there are areas that make mass transit use difficult. Certain parts of Fullerton has a lot of mass transit options including Metrolink/Amtrak which takes you right into Downtown LA. As many posters have already stated, you need to research this more to determine WHERE you want to live in terms of work and social life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles