U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 6,490 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I plan on moving to California from Jersey City, NJ this September. I think I'm going to settle for Fullerton, LA, or Valley Village. Only problem is I don't have a car bc like NYC we use lots of public trans here in Jersey City.

Am I going to survive in CA without a vehicle? I know Fullerton's website says it has tons of transportation.

Thanks in advance,

DEG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,048,219 times
Sure, if you like taking forever to get anywhere.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM

982 posts, read 1,387,131 times
Are you working/going to school in Fullerton? If so, thats the ideal choice, obviously., but if you are frequenting LA, then LA is the better choice. Fullerton & LA are spread out apart, and the commute via public transportation can get costly (especially metrolink) ontop of the time issue....

Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM

68 posts, read 130,930 times
I hope you realize how far apart Fullerton and Valley Village are. Fullerton is close to Anaheim, which is far to the South. Valley Village is a neighborhood in the North Hollywood area.

Where is your job going to be located?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 AM

4 posts, read 6,490 times
No job yet. Going with money saved up, and a few friends as roommates. We have enough to cover around 3-4mths of rent and plan on finding a job within that time. I'm literally coming from NJ with nothing but clothes.

I wanna live near LA but Im told it's way to expensive to get a town on the outskirts of it. Valley Vill and Fullerton were the only two recommended.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,048,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaEvilGenius View Post
No job yet. Going with money saved up, and a few friends as roommates. We have enough to cover around 3-4mths of rent and plan on finding a job within that time. I'm literally coming from NJ with nothing but clothes.

I wanna live near LA but Im told it's way to expensive to get a town on the outskirts of it. Valley Vill and Fullerton were the only two recommended.
Neither are far enough to be considered the outskirts, at least not enough to mean they're cheap because they're on the edge of civilization. You'll have to go much, much farther from LA to find that. Think Palmdale or Hemet for that.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,673,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaEvilGenius View Post

Recommended by who? Just for the record Valley Village(AKA North Hollywood) is City of LA.

You do have buses and the Red Line(subway) in North Hollywood which would you get you to downtown and from there you can continue south.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:38 AM

29 posts, read 96,130 times
If those are your only choices, go with Valley Village. I came from another state with nothing years ago and by pure accident ended up in Van Nuys near North Hollywood, which was a godsend looking back. Cheap and close to everything. And nowhere near as scary as most here will make you believe. Then, I just so happened to live in Fullerton last fall, and frankly, aside from the small downtown area, it didn't strike me as anything better than Van Nuys circa 2003. A friend has been complaining about steady decline in the 15 years he's owned a home there. Unless you go to school there or plan to get a job in nearby OC, there is really not much to do or see there.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:47 PM

4,035 posts, read 8,315,443 times
I still don't understand why Fullerton or Valley Village are the only options. Bizarre people you are talking to about the LA area.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:38 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,673,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I still don't understand why Fullerton or Valley Village are the only options. Bizarre people you are talking to about the LA area.

I don't get that either. There are plenty of places to live that would cost about the same between those two locations.

OP didn't share enough information in order to help.

I also don't think they have a clue as to what they're doing, I wouldn't move to the LA area without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles