U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 PM

13 posts, read 27,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Try Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com for a list of jobs. There seems to be a ton.

Lancaster is off the beaten path, you will feel isolated out there.

Downtown Los Angeles and Hollywood have a lot going for it, entertainment-wise. However, finding a place to live there with pets will be hard, especially at $700/month. But if you find a place near the Red Line or Purple Line you can get to those places easily. That opens your range. North Hollywood will likely be cheaper but more suburban than Wilshire. I think you are looking at roommates, at least initially.

In the meantime, I would be socking away as much money as you can. It may take a bit to get established
Sweet! Thanks for tips. I'd heard that Lancaster was far off plus I'm sure it's one of the cities I usually drove right through when visiting L.A. from Vegas. Lol. Thanks again for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
You can get a 1 bedroom for $850 in Encino and Tarzana. Those are safe areas.
Thanks for the additional places to look! I never would have thought of Encino and Tarzana.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:02 AM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvette View Post
Thanks, nmnita! This is the second time I've heard about Cal State. Maybe I should change my deferment of UCLA to a denial and just go with Cal State. I've heard they're less expensive with both resident and non-resident tuition. Unfortunately they don't have an Informatics department but maybe they will in a later term. That's how it was at UNLV but then they ended up dropping the department three years later due to budget cuts. Anyhoo, I've also heard that I should just pass on L.A. and focus on Long Beach since it's not as expensive. Is that true? I've never been to Long Beach so I'm not familiar with the area. I've also heard that Lancaster is inexpensive but that seems to be in the middle of nowhere. Something like a 2 hour train ride to downtown L.A.? I'd like to live as close to downtown as possible but without being raped, robbed, and murdered. LOL. But with my budget I'm willing to live anywhere on the outskirts of L.A. and just drive in further for social events and so forth.
How come "downtown LA"? Social events will probably occur mostly where you end up living anyway. I'd really think about where you are going to go to school first and concentrate on finding a place to live in that area so you won't have to move again. Don't count on any new majors being added, you must be aware that CA is cutting higher education budgets to the bone.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,367,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
You can get a 1 bedroom for $850 in Encino and Tarzana. Those are safe areas.
no? where did you get that from

Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM

16 posts, read 26,204 times
I moved to Torrance, in an area about 1-1.5 miles from redondo beach with 2 roommates and we only pay 565/mo each. It's a great area, close to everything, safe, etc

GET ROOMMATES.

On the job hunt myself right now, and it's daunting with where to even begin.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 PM

927 posts, read 2,097,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpa View Post
I moved to Torrance, in an area about 1-1.5 miles from redondo beach with 2 roommates and we only pay 565/mo each. It's a great area, close to everything, safe, etc

GET ROOMMATES.

On the job hunt myself right now, and it's daunting with where to even begin.
Roomates are where it's at!

I pay $525 in Silver Lake and live in a 3 bedroom house.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM

34 posts, read 57,169 times
Wow, UNLV is suffering budget cuts too? Wow. Anyway as for moving here, if you can get into UCLA or USC, do it they are great schools. I'm a UCLA alum myself. Anyway, depending on where you live and quality of life, you should look into certain areas. 700 dollars a month is tough to find unless you wanna live in the hood. I'd say, like a poster said here try Silverlake. Maybe you can get like a bachelor apt, you know the one with just a living room and a bathroom. Those might fit your budget. If you wanna live in the nice areas, you'll have to pay a lot more. Try rooming with someone. With pets it may make it harder to find a place, but the city of LA is very pet friendly. Areas to avoid (South LA anywhere usually south of Jefferson and east of La Brea Ave) and (East LA anywhere east of the 5 freeway south of Huntington Drive and North of the 60.)

You sound determined and level headed. I wish you the best. You remind me a lot of myself years ago when I moved out here, except I came here to go to UCLA. I believe if you want it bad enough and work at it enough you can do it. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM

6,230 posts, read 9,515,264 times
If you go to community college for a year or two, by the time your done you would have established in-state tuition. Santa Monica College boasts the highest transfers to UCLA in the LA area. It's pretty cheap tuition. Same price as in-state tuition in other states. Pasadena is a nice area to move to as well. It has a good and pretty huge community college. PCC also boast a high-transfer rate to UCLA.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3i6nm8n View Post
Wow, UNLV is suffering budget cuts too? Wow. Anyway as for moving here, if you can get into UCLA or USC, do it they are great schools. I'm a UCLA alum myself. Anyway, depending on where you live and quality of life, you should look into certain areas. 700 dollars a month is tough to find unless you wanna live in the hood. I'd say, like a poster said here try Silverlake. Maybe you can get like a bachelor apt, you know the one with just a living room and a bathroom. Those might fit your budget. If you wanna live in the nice areas, you'll have to pay a lot more. Try rooming with someone. With pets it may make it harder to find a place, but the city of LA is very pet friendly. Areas to avoid (South LA anywhere usually south of Jefferson and east of La Brea Ave) and (East LA anywhere east of the 5 freeway south of Huntington Drive and North of the 60.)

You sound determined and level headed. I wish you the best. You remind me a lot of myself years ago when I moved out here, except I came here to go to UCLA. I believe if you want it bad enough and work at it enough you can do it. Good luck.
Thanks, R3i6nm8n. So it looks like I will be concentrating on the Silver Lakes area since quite a few people have suggested it. The bachelor pad setup seems like a great plan. Like I said, I'm not picky at all just as long as it's safe and pet-friendly/tolerant. I did a search and it seems that the zip codes 90026, 90039, and 90029 are the ones for the Silver Lakes area in L.A. Also, thanks so much for the tips on areas to definitely avoid. That's exactly the type of info I need from people who know this city.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:24 AM

425 posts, read 1,678,175 times
USC is a private school, so it will not matter whether you are a California resident or not. The only thing that may count in your favor living in California and trying for USC is that I think they have a program that gives preference to people living within 100 miles of the school.

And while out of state tuition may be cheaper at a community college, until you are considered a resident of California by the school, you will pay out of state tuition. Just keep that in mind. Nine credit hours will be around $2,000 a semester. (But probably cheaper than UCLA, just something for you to keep in mind.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles