U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,463 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

It seems people on this forum are pretty nice for the most part so I thought I'd post this little request and see what you all thought. I just got a job offer for a sales position that will have me traveling quite a bit between several locations throughout the east LA/north OC area (specifically, Fullerton, Pomona, and East LA). I'm from the Central Valley and will be relocating soon.

So obviously I'd like to live somewhere close enough to those places to where I'm not driving for 3 hours every day - ideally I'd be within 40 minutes of each location without traffic. (I'd be leaving early enough in the mornings, between 6 and 7 am, to avoid most of it, I'm guessing.) However, I'd also like to find a place with some semblance of young people and a vibrant weekend night life - I'm single and in my early 20's. So while I could try to find an apartment in, say, Anaheim, I've heard it's not exactly the most happening spot.

The base play + commissions should allow me to comfortably afford a single bedroom apartment in the $800-1000 range - I've seen enough ads online already to know that there are plenty available in the region, and I'm not overly concerned with how nice the apartment itself is. But I would like to be in a relatively safe location.

So to recap - location (east la, north oc), night life, and safety are probably my top issues. I know that given the area, its going to be tough to get everything I want. Really tough. But any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
Just guessing from reading other posts but downtown? Also Pasadena?

My gut feeling is neither of those places above can be had for $1000/month though.

Probably ought to concentrate on finding a best commuting location and work your social life from there. I think best commuting locations will be cheaper anyway.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

671 posts, read 1,854,858 times
Getting in to East LA will be your slowest part of the route, so I'd move closer to there than to Pomona.

Normally I'd say Fullerton is what you want, but, getting in to East LA on the 5 is rather slow. The 60 flows
better than the 5, so you're better off living near the 60.

So, in terms of drive time, the center of those places is probably South El Monte or La Puente, but, those towns aren't exactly hotspots. Mostly they're boring Chicano suburbia.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone. Yeah it seems like no matter how I swing it I'll have to either drive for an hour each way every day or live in some bland suburban landscape.

Mike121: I was considering a place in Montebello to get around the horrible traffic heading towards downtown, and it would still give me quick access to all of my other locations. Any thoughts?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM

4,118 posts, read 8,657,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus_rex View Post
Thanks everyone. Yeah it seems like no matter how I swing it I'll have to either drive for an hour each way every day or live in some bland suburban landscape.

Mike121: I was considering a place in Montebello to get around the horrible traffic heading towards downtown, and it would still give me quick access to all of my other locations. Any thoughts?
You're latino?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
You're latino?
Nope, but I'm from the Central Valley so I'm not overly concerned about living among them either

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,538,194 times
Sorry, people, I can't resist:

Below the belly button and above the thighs. Same as everywhere else in the state.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry, people, I can't resist:

Below the belly button and above the thighs. Same as everywhere else in the state.
Well played.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM

4,118 posts, read 8,657,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus_rex View Post
Nope, but I'm from the Central Valley so I'm not overly concerned about living among them either
Ok, so long as your cool with nearly 100% Latino community.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Status: "Cancer free what more can I say" (set 21 days ago)

984 posts, read 1,438,809 times
@atticus_rex, regarding the social scene.....on Whittier Blvd (in Montebello), theres Alondra Hot Wings, especially during game season - full house, & variety of restaurants near the Mall off the 60 fwy, Applebees being one, BJ's Brewery inside the mall, dunno what Charlie Brown's is like anymore...but this is just some short info......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or