U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,149,534 times

Advertisements

I currently live in South Bay area of LA, and need some advice in helping my sister and her family move here. My brother-in-law has applied for the LAPD here, and will be taking the test (they don't offer lateral moves unfortunately) and he will be attending the Academy once he's accepted (who knows when)

They are looking to move by end of the year.

However, they want to send my nephew early so that his school isn't interrupted. He just started Kindergarten, and they want to enroll him in a school here for first grade. I don't have kids of my own, so they'll be granting me legal guardianship until they move here (which can be 4-6 months till they do).

My questions:

1) When does the LAUSD School year start - I thought I heard that they start in August, so that means I would need to get my nephew settled here in LA by end of July.

2) What will I need for him in regards to his schooling ? - Current medical records? School transcripts?

3) Do I have to send him to a school in my neighborhood, or can I choose to send him to a school near my place of work? I live in the Torrance area, but work near LAX. It would be easier to pick him up near where I work, than having try and beat the traffic home to pick him up from a school nearer home.

I'll be putting him under my medical insurance through work until my sister is able to find a job and do so under hers.

Advice is greatly appreciated of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,819,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
My questions:

1) When does the LAUSD School year start - I thought I heard that they start in August, so that means I would need to get my nephew settled here in LA by end of July.

2) What will I need for him in regards to his schooling ? - Current medical records? School transcripts?

3) Do I have to send him to a school in my neighborhood, or can I choose to send him to a school near my place of work?

I'm surprised none of this information was on the LAUSD website.

Los Angeles Unified School District

Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM

4,035 posts, read 8,311,337 times
You live in Torrance and want to put the kid in an LAUSD school?

Que?!?!?!?!?

And BTW, good luck on that LAPD thing. Currently LAPD is only hiring enough to combat attrition, which isn't much. And lots of talk about not doing even that. You sure your brother in law wants to leave a job he already has?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,824 times
They won't be in LAUSD if they move to Torrance, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and so on.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 PM

34 posts, read 57,201 times
I currently live in South Bay area of LA, and need some advice in helping my sister and her family move here. My brother-in-law has applied for the LAPD here, and will be taking the test (they don't offer lateral moves unfortunately) and he will be attending the Academy once he's accepted (who knows when)

They are looking to move by end of the year.

However, they want to send my nephew early so that his school isn't interrupted. He just started Kindergarten, and they want to enroll him in a school here for first grade. I don't have kids of my own, so they'll be granting me legal guardianship until they move here (which can be 4-6 months till they do).

My questions:

LAUSD starts the 2nd to last week of August. anyway are you sure you live in Torrance or do you live in an area near Torrance that is still considered LA, like the area around the port.

Transcripts not need, medical records you will need. He will need to be updated or have proof of shots for the following: Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus and polio (there will be more but when my sis enrolled her kids in schools in OC they were told it's a requirement in MOST school districts to get these shots.)

3) Do I have to send him to a school in my neighborhood, or can I choose to send him to a school near my place of work? I live in the Torrance area, but work near LAX. It would be easier to pick him up near where I work, than having try and beat the traffic home to pick him up from a school nearer home.

Usually where they go to school is supposed to be in the vicinity of the address where they live at. In this case if you live in Torrance and that will be his home address, then more than likely he will have to go to school in Torrance. Unless he goes to a magnet school or charter school he'll likely have to stay near his residentual address.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
I found this thread a little late, so if you already have answers, that's terrific. Most of the South Bay school districts will allow transfers into their districts if there is a child care/transportation issue such as you describe. They will require some kind of proof of residence or in your case, if you are trying to get into, for example, El Segundo, some proof of your job there. I would recommend Torrance or El Segundo schools over Los Angeles Unified Schools that are north of the Airport. The previous poster had the info correctly about vaccinations.

I am a Realtor in the area so you can tell your sister and brother in law if they need help finding a place for themselves when they get here, I am happy to help. My website is Fabulous South Bay if that helps them to see info about the area and figure out where they can afford to land. I believe that LAPD might require new recruits to live in LA proper, but there are LOTS of areas near you such as San Pedro or Westchester that are actually city of Los Angeles.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,417,248 times
So Kindergartners are so tender these days they can't tolerate changing school systems in the middle of the school year? Is the concern continuity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or