Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM

14 posts, read 33,053 times

Advertisements

Im a jazz musician and was wondering if any other musicians out there could comment on the jazz scene in LA. Are there any good jam sessions to go to to meet people? I know theres several good clubs and many prominent musicians in LA teaching at USC. Im mostly into electric jazz ala Pat Metheny, Yellowjackets but love straight ahead bop as well. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,241 times
I don't think LA's jazz scene (esp. the experimental side) is in as healthy as shape as it was say 10 or 15 yrs ago. That said, I do NOT go shows much anymore and there are still plenty of places to go see live shows and meet fellow jazz fans and musicians.

The LA Weekly (see link) has weekly run downs of live shows. You'll have to sift through the rock/alt shows to find the jazz shows (fewer of these of course). But this can definitely point you in the right direction, esp. for the experimental/avant stuff.
Los Angeles Events - Los Angeles Entertainment Guide

Unfortunately, one of LA's BEST jazz clubs closed down in the last year or so (victim of the recession/landlord issues). The "JAZZ BAKERY" was housed in an old bakery building in Culver City and played host to MANY great jazz shows. The GOOD news is they are planning on coming back. Here's a link: The Jazz Bakery "Movable Feast"

The Catalina Bar and Grill USED to be a great place, in my opinion, until they moved about 5, 6 years ago to their current space on Sunset Blvd. Located in an office building that makes you feel you are going to a dental apt or something. That said, they STILL book some good shows, albeit more of the mainstream variety.
CATALINA JAZZ CLUB

The REDCAT Theatre is a small space connected to the Disney Concert hall. They book cutting edge stuff....EVERYTHING, not just jazz or music. But I did see Fred Frith (of Naked City/John Zorn fame) here a few years ago.
Roy and Edna Disney/CalArts Theater | REDCAT

The Baked Potato in Studio City books some good shows too (including eclectic, experimental type artists).

These are many more venues....just naming a few resources.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,241 times
Last but not least, you should definitely check out Taix, a french restaurant in Echo Park since the 1920's, that books very ECLECTIC artists (from jazz to alt rock to punk). Good place to see a show and meet fellow musicians that are into the experimental side of things.

This is a review from a few years ago. Taix: Dinner and a Show - LAist

And the actual website:
http://www.taixfrench.com/321lounge.html (broken link)

I've not been there in about 3 or 4 years but the last time I was there I saw Joe Baiza (fromerly of LA's experimental alt band Sacharine Trust) play a gig there. I think I payed $5 to get in and Joe was very approachable. I talked to him after the show. What a shame that a guy with that kind of talent has to have a day job. Yet, so many idiots go on from American Idol to make millions.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM

14 posts, read 33,053 times
Default Jazz in LA

Great! Thanks for the info. This is very helpful. Ive also heard of a place called Largo. Do you know about this place and if its still open? Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone68 View Post
Great! Thanks for the info. This is very helpful. Ive also heard of a place called Largo. Do you know about this place and if its still open? Thanks again.
Largo was a small dinner theatre but is now a larger theatre that looks like it was formerly a movie theatre. Only been there once.

I am not too into the jazz scene but I saw Andy Summers of the Police in a trio twice at the Baked Potato in 2003. REALLY good shows.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,196 times
Definitely not what it was 10, 15 yrs. ago. I'd recommend NYC for jazz; even that's not what it was, but it's better than L.A. If you do end up in L.A. and you're looking for a place to hang, meet other musicians, sit in and eventually get a few paying gigs, try Charlie O's in Van Nuys. Maybe I'll see you there.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:44 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
the mint on pico is a good spot for up an coming jazz "artists"...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Check out http://www.jazzandblues.org/index.aspx They always know where local jazz is.

Long Beach has a few jazz bars.
There is one on the Queen Mary I enjoy, the Observation Lounge on the bow of the ship. There is a valentines night on the ship this weekend promoted by the Grunion Gazette , always a few lounges with jazz. Pretty nice night to enjoy the queen, probably a dozen venues on the ship to enjoy. Plenty of great restaurants with varied prices.

I think the best way to find jazz is to ask the bands where they play.
I remember a night 25 years ago, bunch of friends wanted to catch some live jazz. I knew where the Yellow Jackets were playing that night. I asked the doorman if they could waive the cover charge since we would be buying drinks, 20 of us. He could not push us in any quicker than he did. Oddly my friends left 30 minutes into a set.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
If you don't mind trekking down to Orange County - Steamer's in downtown Fullerton is a good jazz venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles