U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 AM

2,561 posts, read 4,869,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
HAHAHA, everyone's found out about that eh. If it came down to Camden, NJ or San Francisco, CA, I would pick Camden, NJ in a heart beat. (Not being sarcastic either)
If I had the experience you had in SF..can't say I would love it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 AM

7,245 posts, read 5,537,384 times
Quote:
HAHAHA, everyone's found out about that eh. If it came down to Camden, NJ or San Francisco, CA, I would pick Camden, NJ in a heart beat. (Not being sarcastic either)
Why camden over san Francisco?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:00 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,186,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
If I had the experience you had in SF..can't say I would love it either.
Haha yeah, they really need to fix some things up. It's a pretty city and all, and even though I hate its guts I give it the credit it deserves, nothing more or less.

But yes, the San Francisco living on this forum and Los Angeles hating has to stop, both of those things are a bit overdone. Actually the entire Sunbelt gets a lot of hate, don't see why either. I've lived in a few places before and some of the Sunbelt cities really do have a lot going for them that this site wont ever acknowledge. Which is a shame.

By the way, one of my all time top cities is Denver, along with Tucson, San Diego, & Seattle those are my absolute top cities of choice and the ones I like the best and think of as the best. But that's just me though. My follow up group after that is Washington DC, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, & New York (Mostly Brooklyn).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Why camden over san Francisco?
Haha to put it without insulting a city or bashing it (I'm not like that), I just hate the place a lot more than I can ever even try to explain, I like the Bay Area, just not San Francisco. There was very little I liked about the place (San Francisco), each and every time I've gone there.

I think of Los Angeles as California's lead city, even though I have complex ways of viewing the places, Los Angeles in my opinion and experience has been a great city to visit and come back to.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 AM

7,245 posts, read 5,537,384 times
I still view LA as the big city of the west. Before I joined this site, to me, it was always NY & LA... they were the top 2

Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,168,985 times
Probably top 10 most famous and top 10 most diverse, but no, it is not #1.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 AM

15,666 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think in few other cities of the world are outlying suburbs and cities as famous as the city itself. Names like Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Bel Air, Long Beach, Anaheim and now Orange County are like household names. As well as all the streets and other landmarks. LA is of course extremely diverse physically, culturally.etc - much moreso than pretty much any world city I can think of, even the Old World ones and New York City.
LA metro area is most famous in a pop culture sense. But that's going to be short-lived and ultimately not so important compared to many other places in my opinion. Hollywood celebrities aren't filling pages of history books anytime soon.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 02-10-2011 at 05:31 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
LA metro area is most famous in a pop culture sense. But that's going to be short-lived and ultimately not so important compared to many other places in my opinion. Hollywood celebrities aren't filling pages of history books anytime soon.
Hollywoods been big for the lat 100+ years. Short-lived? How do you know? Pop-culture IS relevant to history whether you believe it or not.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 AM

15,666 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Hollywoods been big for the lat 100+ years. Short-lived? How do you know? Pop-culture IS relevant to history whether you believe it or not.
Name one Hollywood actor/actress (not politician) that is ever going to be mentioned in the same breath as Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,063,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Name one Hollywood actor/actress (not politician) that is ever going to be mentioned in the same breath as Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King, Jr.
Well if you were just listing American politicians, then Ronald Reagan.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,635,062 times
Quote:
Haha yeah, they really need to fix some things up. It's a pretty city and all, and even though I hate its guts I give it the credit it deserves, nothing more or less.

But yes, the San Francisco living on this forum and Los Angeles hating has to stop, both of those things are a bit overdone. Actually the entire Sunbelt gets a lot of hate, don't see why either. I've lived in a few places before and some of the Sunbelt cities really do have a lot going for them that this site wont ever acknowledge. Which is a shame.

By the way, one of my all time top cities is Denver, along with Tucson, San Diego, & Seattle those are my absolute top cities of choice and the ones I like the best and think of as the best. But that's just me though. My follow up group after that is Washington DC, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, & New York (Mostly Brooklyn).

Haha to put it without insulting a city or bashing it (I'm not like that), I just hate the place a lot more than I can ever even try to explain, I like the Bay Area, just not San Francisco. There was very little I liked about the place (San Francisco), each and every time I've gone there.

I think of Los Angeles as California's lead city, even though I have complex ways of viewing the places, Los Angeles in my opinion and experience has been a great city to visit and come back to.
The sunbelt cities are laid completely differently than traditional older cities. The downtown are smaller and less mixed use, harder to walk around and see things, you see less people compared to cars, so at first glance its seems less lively. Someone used to Northeastern or European cities will find it hard to get used to and think "there's nothing here".

It's harder to find everything in LA for a visitor so it loses a bit of respect, too. When I saw SF, I liked it rather quickly. LA, not so much. SF felt like a less overwhelming low-rise NYC that still had plenty to see and was in a scenic location. Wished more of the Bay Area was built like San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or