U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM

600 posts, read 1,259,186 times

Advertisements

PP are correct. Dont even consider coming without a job unless you have an endless amount of money saved away to cover living expenses. The cost of living here is very high, have you compared the difference in what you will pay here as opposed to Col.? Oregon is not better off - their unemployment rate is high too and couple that with 8 months of rain and you would want to get the heck outta there pretty quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Pretty clear what YOU'RE thinking, gringo.

BTW, I'm from Arkansas myself, whose "indigenous population" was forcibly displaced by Europeans about three centuries ago.

To the OP, we don't call it "Cali." (Also, the city by the bay is not "Frisco.") And anyone thinking of moving here right now, without a job already in hand, is nuts.
........who were busy replacing each other when my ancestors arrived some time ago. I spent my formative years in arizona. "gringo" has lost all of it's intended effect. But yeah, mexican nationals are replacing people who were born and raised there. I would have to add, I do agree with you, I wouldn't try to live in southern california these days.....on a bet.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 PM

422 posts, read 1,567,222 times
I don't understand your point. Are population changes, as evidenced by centuries of history, to be accepted as unavoidable, or fled? Or just changes from a certain direction? Personally, I love living in SoCal so much that after having to move away twice, I moved back twice. But I did have a job waiting for me each time.

Is the Old South cafe still in Russellville?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,104 times
For those of you with the insightful and helpful advice--thankyou! For those who just needed to correct my grammar on the States or cities, maybe you should find another thread to complain about. I don't think it matters where we live in this country as long as we are happy and fulfilled

Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 PM

4,747 posts, read 5,961,269 times
I applaud your sense of adventure, but the ugly truth is that even “official” unemployment is very high in California. Being geographically desirable helps to land a job, but I would not suggest moving here without one, because the risks are just too high.

Reports are that SoCal should soon experience some job growth:
SoCal job market poised for growth - Handling Hard Times - The Orange County Register

The downside to this, if the past is any indication of near future trends, is that the biggest recent increases occurred at the lowest end of the pay scale. Maybe this will change, but who knows?
Low-paid jobs are biggest in growth - Handling Hard Times - The Orange County Register

I would recommend trying to find a job in a warm state where the cost of living is lower than California’s. I know this is not the news you wanted, but don’t let anything dampen your spirit, keep looking, and good luck!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 PM

52 posts, read 165,704 times
my wife and i moved here without jobs, but this was back in late 2007, right before everything went belly up. and i have been very lucky to still have the same job (my first and only job in LA). my wife however, has not. but we are doing fine now, but i wouldnt move here if i didnt have a job, its slowly starting to look up, but it's still pretty miserable here, job-wise.

My brother lives in denver and his mouth drops to the floor when i tell him about the cost of living here, its a lot more expensive. However, there are many suburban towns in the greater los angeles area that might be similar to your mountain lifestyle with a lower cost of living, but those areas are less desirable, because they are located inland and tend to suffer from high summer heat.

i would wait if i were you, come visit a few times before making the move. my wife and i were crazy to move here, but we visited a few times and have a large base of close friends that helped us out with temporary housing and job networking to make the transition smoother.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:43 PM

14,009 posts, read 13,629,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Cali, Columbia is quite a move. Why are you posting this in a California thread?
LOL. I've never heard of anyone over age 25 calling California "Cali." I admit it makes one think that the OP knows very little about this state. And making a major move to a state with an unemployment rate like ours just means that it's hard to take the thread seriously.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 PM

63 posts, read 172,884 times
How about coming to visit, and arranging to meet with prospective employers during that time? Do you know anyone who lives in CA (you could stay with them and/or put down their contact info on resumes)? Would you be willing to lower your standards and rent a small & shabby place for awhile until you have jobs?

What kind of jobs will you be looking for?

The Los Angeles area is pretty expensive, if you want to live in a decent neighborhood. How about outside the metro LA area?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,304,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
LOL. I've never heard of anyone over age 25 calling California "Cali." I admit it makes one think that the OP knows very little about this state. And making a major move to a state with an unemployment rate like ours just means that it's hard to take the thread seriously.
Someone shouldn't move to a state because they use a cutesy name for it that you dislike? That seems a little silly. (PS - I call it "Cali" all over the internet. Was born and raised there and lived there 20 years. I find this intense hatred of it on this forum to be kind of pointless).

OP, what industry are you looking for work in? "I need a job in California" is pretty vague and difficult to give advice about. More specifics might help people point you in the right direction of cities or regions to look for employment in.

It depends on your risk level too. I have basically zero risk tolerance--I'd never move anywhere without a secure job offer in hand. My sister, on the other hand, is a free spirit who goes wherever, and generally finds a way to make it work, even if it's not ideal. You have to figure out your comfort level and what you'd be willing to sacrifice to move to California.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 PM

14,009 posts, read 13,629,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Someone shouldn't move to a state because they use a cutesy name for it that you dislike? That seems a little silly.
I believe you misinterpreted my post.

Quote:
I call it "Cali" all over the internet. I find this intense hatred of it on this forum to be kind of pointless.
Hatred? Who hates it? We wouldn't be living here if we hated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or