U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
 
18 posts, read 50,470 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
mscherie, I hope you didn't think I was being critical of your choice of Santa Monica. It's a lovely city, and if that's where you want to live and you are able to then you should. I lived there with my family for awhile when I was a kid in the 60s. We were working class poor. The city has changed so much, but I'm glad to know that there are at least some places that are available to pople with less money to live on.

Why do so many people think being low-income is something to be ashamed of, almost as if it's a crime? I hope you find a good place for you and your daughter to live.
@linden52 no i don't think you were being critical.I think the poster "seain" used your comment to try and add to his own argument as to why I shouldn't feel "so entitled" to want to live in Santa Monica.

I think people think being low-income is something to be ashamed of for a few reasons
1. they have never been poor themselves/been 1 paycheck/illness/disaster away from being without (disconnected)

2. they are working middle class/upper class people who look down on lower income because we can receive assistance that they wish they could qualify for(being unhappy with their own situation)

3. Some people judge others for fun or mind other's business because they don't have their own
(if you're living your own life happily how can you find time to make another persons life miserable or add negativity?)



I'm definitely still trying for Santa Monica because it's basically where my heart is right now it just "feels right" for what my daughter and I need.

to ALL:
Great thanks goes to the posters who have offered up information and encouragement to make my transition/search a bit easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: California
29,597 posts, read 31,914,576 times
Reputation: 24734
Quote:
Why is it your business?
Because you posted on a public forum which is an invite for people to comment. If this isn't to your liking you should probably NOT post things like this and just deal with whatever agencies you need to deal with and life your life privately. But really, if you can get past hurt feelings there is usually something to learn or answers to questions you didn't even think about asking...such as the COL in such an area compared to other places. No matter where you live or how much it is or isn't costing you there are so many other things to take into consideration like job availability, average salary, transportation, how much groceries cost, what a parking ticket will set you back (seriously...this wiped out my daughters bank account the first couple months she lived in LA) etc. It's good to throw thats stuff out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM
 
18 posts, read 50,470 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Because you posted on a public forum which is an invite for people to comment. If this isn't to your liking you should probably NOT post things like this and just deal with whatever agencies you need to deal with and life your life privately. But really, if you can get past hurt feelings there is usually something to learn or answers to questions you didn't even think about asking...such as the COL in such an area compared to other places. No matter where you live or how much it is or isn't costing you there are so many other things to take into consideration like job availability, average salary, transportation, how much groceries cost, what a parking ticket will set you back (seriously...this wiped out my daughters bank account the first couple months she lived in LA) etc. It's good to throw thats stuff out there.
@Ceece
my original post asked for information on section 8 properties. period.
I didn't ask for people's opinions on section 8..or to air their own personal issues with "welfare receipients" /people receiving assistance ,the state of California's economy etc
or for them to comment on how "entitled" i must feel because I want to live in Santa Monica. (the audacity of me!)

Re: job availability/salary/groceries/parking tickets/transportation I already stated that I'm a full time student and the rest of those costs are covered.

I definitely appreciate feedback but everyone can keep the negativity to themselves.
For eg: if you have a problem with section 8-please don't come onto a section 8 recipients page/post to rant.

Also if people read MY WHOLE posts then they will have a better level of understanding(I HAVE lived in California prior and am very familiar with the cost of living there) I am concerned with the availability and safety or areas for section 8. Everything else is covered. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 PM
 
16,785 posts, read 19,639,274 times
Reputation: 33226
I was referring to the poster from TX who said she worked part time.

It is my business as a tax payer.

You have a sense of entitlement. You can move wherever you want. But in your case you're relying on the govt. to support you.

Good luck getting Section 8 in LA county, there is a waiting list with people who have been on it for a couple of years. People who already reside in CA.

You might want to check into that.

And when you post on a public forum you're not always going to comments back that might agree with your point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
 
18 posts, read 50,470 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I was referring to the poster from TX who said she worked part time.

It is my business as a tax payer.

You have a sense of entitlement. You can move wherever you want. But in your case you're relying on the govt. to support you.

Good luck getting Section 8 in LA county, there is a waiting list with people who have been on it for a couple of years. People who already reside in CA.

You might want to check into that.

And when you post on a public forum you're not always going to comments back that might agree with your point of view.
the "waitlist" is for people waiting to receive section 8 vouchers..not people who already have them IN HAND.
I have checked into that so thanks for the suggestion.
You're just an argumentative very opinionated person who obviously has nothing better to do than come on here and make random suggestions based on misinformation.
They say when you argue with a fool two fools argue and people from afar can't distinguish which is the fool so on that note good day, please go about your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
 
1,465 posts, read 4,413,770 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnsonyvette View Post
@ mscherie I was criticized big time for wanting to move out to San Diego or Orange County on section 8 housing. I live in Dallas, Texas and the people on those threads are telling me to stay put and not move out to California. They told me the exact same thing that I would end up homeless if I came there. I recieved a LOT of negative feedback. I already checked out the waiting lists and everything and I have been to Orange County a few times to look around and check things out. I think they have it all wrong! Some people on section 8 do abuse it but you can't be critical of other people just because of it. I use to work at a hospital and I worked in that industry for a number of years but I am under a doctors care and they advised me to work part time ONLY! I told my doctor it's hard to live off current income. The only way I know to make it off my income is get on section 8 so that they can help me pay part of my rent. I draw disability and I work part time doing home heath aide. I asked my doctor if he would support me going back to work full time and he said no. My doctor told me to keep my disability because once you lose it it's hard to get it back. So he advised me to work part time and keep what I have. All areas that take section 8 don't have bad areas because I have been to a couple of nice areas that I wouldn't mind living in. Section 8 renters are criticized because of other peoples behaviors and so forth and thats not right. I told the people on my thread I don't play loud music, I love nice things and I enjoy quiet. I don't know whats going on with section 8 and California. Someone told me that they were getting rid of section 8 in that state because they were having money problems. This whole country is having money problems its just not California and I don't see other states talking about they getting rid of there programs.
You appear ready, willing, and able to work full time (and presumably leaving Section 8 assistance) but don't because your doctor indicated that getting back in will be hard. Have you stopped to consider that you are taking somebody's spot? Somebody that is not able to work full time.

These assistance programs have real value but they are so abused that it is of limited value. You are part of the problem.

I think the first step for reform is to quit calling it 'entitlements'. There really is a problem when people think that is what it is.

Become part of the solution. Work full time. Report that doctor. Help somebody else that might need it. Quit being selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,679 posts, read 8,247,228 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I was referring to the poster from TX who said she worked part time.
Shes from Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM
 
1,465 posts, read 4,413,770 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Shes from Ohio.
Why don't you start here and maybe it will make sense. seain is referring to ajohnsonyvette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 PM
 
18 posts, read 50,470 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
You appear ready, willing, and able to work full time (and presumably leaving Section 8 assistance) but don't because your doctor indicated that getting back in will be hard. Have you stopped to consider that you are taking somebody's spot? Somebody that is not able to work full time.

These assistance programs have real value but they are so abused that it is of limited value. You are part of the problem.

I think the first step for reform is to quit calling it 'entitlements'. There really is a problem when people think that is what it is.

Become part of the solution. Work full time. Report that doctor. Help somebody else that might need it. Quit being selfish.
@downtownventura
i dont disagree with what you're saying about assistance being abused and i definitely don't agree with a physician advising a patient not to work because they may profit more from making a conscious effort to "stay disabled"? If there is such a thing.
i believe the only person that referred to assistance as "entitlements" is seain in this pompous statement:

"Exactly. Talk about entitlement. Many working people who don't get subsidized housing can't afford to rent in expensive beach cities.

In fact I was shocked to see Santa Monica and Section 8 in the same sentence.

There are areas like Highland Park which have Section 8 housing, but I believe there is quite a waiting list.

Why is someone moving to one of the most expensive places in the country to live when they're relying on assistance anyway?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 PM
 
1,465 posts, read 4,413,770 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscherie View Post
@downtownventura
i dont disagree with what you're saying about assistance being abused and i definitely don't agree with a physician advising a patient not to work because they may profit more from making a conscious effort to "stay disabled"? If there is such a thing.
i believe the only person that referred to assistance as "entitlements" is seain in this pompous statement:

"Exactly. Talk about entitlement. Many working people who don't get subsidized housing can't afford to rent in expensive beach cities.

In fact I was shocked to see Santa Monica and Section 8 in the same sentence.

There are areas like Highland Park which have Section 8 housing, but I believe there is quite a waiting list.

Why is someone moving to one of the most expensive places in the country to live when they're relying on assistance anyway?"
I largely agree with what you are saying. I am particularly sensitive as I know of people that are on the waiting list.

I wasn't making reference to anyone here on the term 'entitlements'. I was just saying that we, as a country, need to quit calling it that because it sends the wrong message. There are the abusers of the system that feel they are entitled to the welfare. There are the taxpayers that wonder why they are paying for somebody's lifestyle that they themselves can't afford. Why aren't they 'entitled' to the same, after all, they are the ones funding it.

Seain's points are certainly valid. people are tired of the abuse. We have all heard stories where government partially or fully pays the rental expenses and the recipient drives a Cadillac. Seain works all day, many Section 8 recipients will absolutely not work even if capable. Some even admit it on public forums.

Section 8 is a good program. I feel it is a step above the projects for the reasons you stated earlier. However, we (the country) have not figured out how to minimize or eliminate the abuse so that all people that need good, clean, safe housing can get it. I am for Section 8. I am against abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top