U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
397 posts, read 776,184 times
Reputation: 330

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscherie View Post
@ajohnsonyvette
unfortunately this is the plight of being judged and misunderstood when you are/were a tax paying citizen who fell upon unfortunate circumstances.
I also dont "run the streets" and use gas often..I like to walk and being in Santa Monica makes that easier. Also living closer to school makes costs way less.
Other posters don't seem to understand that if you live frugally as a habit and are responsible with finances(as most limited income are forced to do) you can find alternative ways to live in a high cost area with thrift. I've done alot of research and Target stores, thrift stores etc are still as prevalent in Cali as they are in Ohio.
Secondhand and consignment shops are everywhere as are craigslist postings for furniture etc. There are a few things that you cant control the cost of living in expensive areas but most are within your control as a consumer/resident.
You sound very naive and tend to have a bit of an ego. Way too defensive. I, personally, wouldn't recommend you come out here. Especially since you have a kid.

Anyways, my advice, I wouldn't even suggest, if you could find a place in Santa Monica with Section 8, that you move there without seeing it IN PERSON first. If it's Section 8, in Santa Monica, there is probably a reason.

That is my advice for anyone moving out here. DO NOT MOVE INTO AN APARTMENT WITHOUT SEEING IT FIRST!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 PM
 
18 posts, read 50,467 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
You sound very naive and tend to have a bit of an ego. Way too defensive. I, personally, wouldn't recommend you come out here. Especially since you have a kid.

Anyways, my advice, I wouldn't even suggest, if you could find a place in Santa Monica with Section 8, that you move there without seeing it IN PERSON first. If it's Section 8, in Santa Monica, there is probably a reason.

That is my advice for anyone moving out here. DO NOT MOVE INTO AN APARTMENT WITHOUT SEEING IT FIRST!
I'm far from naieve or having an ego. I'm a very tough person with a background full of varied experiences in life (U.S Navy to Mortgage Loan officer to single mother), I've lived overseas and various places through the states. Everyone wants to offer discouragement but obviously this is well in advance of 60 days of moving and I've done an adequate amount of research but will continue to do so. People are critical and I just don't see the need for it.

I'm defensive because people were judging me for getting assistance and felt the need to use this as a sounding board as opposed to offering anything near the information I asked for help about.
and again I will refer back to my original post where i said,
"I plan to make a trip in mid March"...of course I would never move anywhere sight unseen.

and how you could say this :"I, personally, wouldn't recommend you come out here. Especially since you have a kid."
you don't know me personally or what the situation is so how could you make any personal recommendation being that you have extremely limited information about me? wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 2,732,803 times
Reputation: 751
From the sound of this board......you may be better off where you're at. California does not sound like a friendly place for you so far...Which is sad.....but, this is life. Good luck wherever you hang your hat, but, think twice before coming to a city that is not friendly to Section 8 voucher holders from out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 15,009,413 times
Reputation: 64014
As a tax payer I can comment. Most responsible people, finish school, find a job, save money to find a nice place to live, then have a child. You swap the order of your goals, we pay for it, yet we are expected to be quiet? No.

Re: job availability/salary/groceries/parking tickets/transportation I already stated that I'm a full time student and the rest of those costs are covered. Bet my tax dollars also cover those costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 PM
 
18 posts, read 50,467 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
As a tax payer I can comment. Most responsible people, finish school, find a job, save money to find a nice place to live, then have a child. You swap the order of your goals, we pay for it, yet we are expected to be quiet? No.

Re: job availability/salary/groceries/parking tickets/transportation I already stated that I'm a full time student and the rest of those costs are covered. Bet my tax dollars also cover those costs.

@zonababe I did all of the above
:finished school, found a job(2 careers actually as i stated before U.S Navy and a Mortgage broker after I left the Navy), saved money and had a very nice place to live and then I had a child. I didn't "swap the order" of any of those.
I did the right things the "right way" and still ended up losing it all by no control of my own.
Like I've said again and again in this post some of you people are so out of touch and full of yourselves to think of what things in this world could possibly happen that you, as a lifetime taxpaying citizen might fall upon unfortunate circumstance or hard times and actually need the "money" you've paid in.

After all, this IS why we pay taxes, right? Not only for the benefit of others but for ourselves should something tragic happen.

I wish people would get off their high horse because the further up there you are the harder you fall whether you think you're untouchable or not.

an I said I'm on section 8-nothing else about any other benefits. I also stated I'm a veteran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 2,732,803 times
Reputation: 751
I don't get it The Orig poster just asked for properties in SM that take Sect 8 that's IT and many of you keep bashing her for being on Section 8. I notice the same thing with a post I posted on a thread I made...where I ONLY asked for help with locations that are still affordable to buy a condo under 200K near or around W.Hollywood..........all the responses I get are from posters who are not answering my question but, looking for a fight or asking me personal questions that have nothing to do with my question whatsoever.

If you DON'T know the answer to her question move on no reason to keep giving your Epinion of your thoughts about Section 8 voucher holders from out of state. She has one she got it for a reason and if she is allowed to use it in SM or wherever that is HER decision to use it in whatever city, state she wishes since she has that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM
 
18 posts, read 50,467 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
I don't get it The Orig poster just asked for properties in SM that take Sect 8 that's IT and many of you keep bashing him for being on Section 8. I notice the same thing with a post I posted on a thread I made...where I ONLY asked for help with locations that are still affordable to buy a condo under 200K near or around W.Hollywood..........all the responses I get are from posters who are not answering my question but, looking for a fight or asking me personal questions that have nothing to do with my question whatsoever.
@30stm
I don't really take this as a consensus of how "California" people feel about me or my situation because it seems the most lonely, opinionated people who lack a life of their own have the time to come on the internet and bash a complete stranger.

People living their own lives don't have hours upon hours to come on a message board to spread negativity.
The goal of some of these posters is to keep my "low income" self out of their neighborhood but the reality is I've already decided to move and bashing me won't change that.

If they have a problem they can write to congress or lobby for welfare reform etc...unfortunately sometimes the loudest people who will voice their opinion in a staunch manner believe it makes them more right.
Just because you say it louder doesn't make it right! It's easy to sit back and with the click of a button offer an "expert" opinion but the real test is if anyone gets off of their behind to change the state of poverty-if not then you really don't have the right to argue.

People are just out of touch with themselves, the world and one another so this isn't at all surprising to me.
At this point I just have to take the good from those who offer any advice (positive or negative-both have something to offer) and ignore those who are using this as a sounding board.

Poverty is like punishment for a crime you didn't commit. You deal with it, or you fold. Let us not forget the landlords, federal govt, and local housing authorities profit from these transactions. Poverty is a career for lots of well paid people....

The mother's battle for her child with sickness, with poverty, with war, with all the forces of exploitation and callousness that cheapen human life needs to become a common human battle, waged in love and in the passion for survival. LET ME LIVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 2,732,803 times
Reputation: 751
GREAT Post...and bravo to you for having the courage to fight for your country an to deal with you situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 01:42 PM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 15,009,413 times
Reputation: 64014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscherie View Post
@zonababe I did all of the above
:finished school, found a job(2 careers actually as i stated before U.S Navy and a Mortgage broker after I left the Navy), saved money and had a very nice place to live and then I had a child. I didn't "swap the order" of any of those.
I did the right things the "right way" and still ended up losing it all by no control of my own.
Like I've said again and again in this post some of you people are so out of touch and full of yourselves to think of what things in this world could possibly happen that you, as a lifetime taxpaying citizen might fall upon unfortunate circumstance or hard times and actually need the "money" you've paid in.

After all, this IS why we pay taxes, right? Not only for the benefit of others but for ourselves should something tragic happen.

I wish people would get off their high horse because the further up there you are the harder you fall whether you think you're untouchable or not.

an I said I'm on section 8-nothing else about any other benefits. I also stated I'm a veteran.
A 30 year old who decides to become a full-time student is a luxury few can afford. Do you think you should qualify for Section 8 Housing because you paid taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 2,732,803 times
Reputation: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
A 30 year old who decides to become a full-time student is a luxury few can afford. Do you think you should qualify for Section 8 Housing because you paid taxes?

What does this have to do with her original question of what properties are available in SM that are Section 8?

If she has a voucher she has every right to use it how she wishes to use it in the areas she is allowed to use it in the city an states that have granted her permission to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top