U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:30 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,011,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
What does this have to do with her original question of what properties are available in SM that are Section 8?

If she has a voucher she has every right to use it how she wishes to use it in the areas she is allowed to use it in the city an states that have granted her permission to use it.
I don't see a star next to your name, were you hired to moderate this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,734,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I don't see a star next to your name, were you hired to moderate this thread?

I don't see one next to yours either!

My point was STICK TO THE TOPIC.... the girl ask where she could use her voucher not to be lectured on WHY she has one!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:19 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,586,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscherie View Post
@jbr724 thanks for the input...actually HACOLA does indeed include some of Santa Monica's section 8.
Also for the info- i have actually been able to search both sites and there is some great info on there and more selection should things not work out in Santa Monica.
I also understand exactly where you're coming from on the negative stereotypes and I myself hate thinking about moving into an entire area of housing that would be filled with section 8 because not everyone uses the opportunity to build on their lives and many abuse it. I couldn't imagine myself and my daughter living in project housing or an unsafe area simply because I have section 8. People should be able to receive assistance and maintain a safe living condition.
You mentioned several times about how responsible that you are. You mention here that people should be able to recieve assistance and maintain a safe living condition. From my point of view responsible people do that. They pay their own way. No one owes anyone anything. You do owe it to yourself to make a better life for yourself. Why should we the people have to pay for you to live in Santa Monica? The problem with our budget is that too many people think that they are entitled to a better life. That is not the case. No one is entitled to a better life. You make your life better on your own. You want to live in Santa Monica? Do the responsible thing and pay your own way.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 PM

17 posts, read 25,486 times
@mscherie I wish you and your little girl the best regardless of what is said on this thread. I hope everything works out for you and I hope they put you in a mansion.........just because.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM

28 posts, read 59,247 times
So one can apply for Section 8 while living in another state? Never new, thought you had to live in the same state to get on the list to receive a voucher.

How long is the wait list?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM

4,679 posts, read 8,248,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I already stated that I'm a full time student and the rest of those costs are covered. Bet my tax dollars also cover those costs.
Do you get financial aid ? Because I'm almost certain my tax dollars pay for that.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM

4,679 posts, read 8,248,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEELINGROOVYBABY View Post
So one can apply for Section 8 while living in another state? Never new, thought you had to live in the same state to get on the list to receive a voucher.

How long is the wait list?
You're allowed to port to another city in another state only after you've lived in your current apartment/house in your current state for one year.

I only know this because our apartment was destroyed in Louisiana for Katrina and we were temporarily on the FEMA sec. 8 voucher.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM

28 posts, read 59,247 times
Very interesting. I am going to check this out, since I am looking to move to California to attend beauty school and living on SSD at the moment in another state.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,011,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Do you get financial aid ? Because I'm almost certain my tax dollars pay for that.
The OP is the full-time student, not me.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
This is for school right?...was it FIDM? It can be pricy too. I'm not sure how costs will be covered if someone has an income that lets them qualify for section 8. Seriously. I hope things work out OP becaues really it sounds near impossible, nevermind finding work. Good luck though! Stay offline and work with people who can actually help you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or