U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,732,803 times

Advertisements

ArtsyDiva...you're new so may I suggest you read post 64....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,986 times
All of these posts are so lame and stupid. If someone is making low income and they are smart enough to get themselves on a list for section 8 and they finally get on section 8 bully for them! It is asinine to think that one person would take another person's spot because if you qualify you qualify based on income. I don't think anybody on section 8 feels entitled, they probably feel more grateful than anything else. Further, Newsflash, they have section 8 properties in Santa MOnica, West Hollywood and many other good areas. My mother is a retired and disabled senior and she has lived in redondo beach, santa monica, and will now move to west hollywood. I think those who have posted negative comments are simply jealous and you should be. My mother got into a 1 bedroom apartment with a rent of $1400, and paid $767. nanny nanny nanny! She earned it; however. She worked all her life and now she can't but anyways its not so easy to be on section 8. There is a price to pay like wading through all the bureaucratic nightmare that is the housing authority and then trying to find properties who accept it, and then finally people like many of you, looking down on somebody who has excellent credit and rental history just because they are on section 8.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,849 times
MsCherie don't let other people's rudeness bother you and I wouldn't waste any time and energy explaining myself to them. Most of them are just mad because they can't get an opportunity like you.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 PM

8,147 posts, read 25,630,181 times
Here's the reality, it has no judgement attached. It's really just simple economics that's working against you.

Property owners in wealthy communities like Santa Monica - they can get above market rents without the hassle / headache. Residents of these areas also tend to oppose low-income housing. As a result, you won't find much Section 8 in a city like Santa Monica, or tonier areas of LA, San Diego, etc.

The landlords who focus on section 8 tend to cluster in low-income areas or more recently built exurban areas (Palmdale, etc). However in these areas, market rents are not that much higher than Section 8, so your voucher might not even be needed.

So it's not to say that you will never find a section 8 property in a nice area of LA County, it's just that the chances aren't all that good, whereas you will have an easier time in a lower-income area. LA is very varied, and Santa Monica is one of the most exclusive addresses in the country if not the world, so it might make sense to scale back your expectations, at least for the first few years, while you work your way through the processes.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 PM

11 posts, read 90,407 times
Tiffany, I am not sure about Santa Monica, but I did A similar move from Michigan to Escondido, CA and it was not easy (and it was more expensive than I planned!) I know that they will only extend your voucher for a certain amount of time before you HAVE to find a place, otherwise you could lose your section 8 voucher. They will only given you 1 or 2 extensions during a portability.

Luckily I had a property company that worked with me on my move, and allowed me to stay a little extra because I explained how much trouble I was having finding a place in CA, so I didn't end up having to stay with anyone. (Of course I still had to pay.)

I am sure the rent is much higher in Santa Monica, but what I would suggest is just looking online for a listing of all the apartment communities, and houses for rent that interest you and then calling them to see who takes Section 8. It could take a few hours and a lot of "no's" but it is one of the only ways I know of. Also when you talk to landlords, ask them if they know of anyone else who might accept your voucher. A lot of landlords know other owners and you might get lucky that way.
And if you call property management companies, that could help. They usually manage and rent lots of properties for owners, and in my experience they are sometimes more willing to accept Section 8.

Keep in mind there are some subsidized apartment communities that may have waiting lists, but some of them have openings sooner, or even right away if you have section 8. One problem though, is that most of them want you to come in person to do an app and an interview, and will not do it over the phone or throught the mail. (I ran into that)

Also, frequently check the website gosection8.com I looked and there is currently one 2 bed 1 bath listed for $1840 a month. Good Luck, I know it is not always easy. People always assume we are all bad tenants and will ruin their property, but I have always worked and have good credit, and 12 years of excellent rental history as well. But unfortunately some people are not good participants, and they give the rest of us a bad name.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 PM

255 posts, read 703,287 times
To the OP:
By now you should know that most people in this world dislike anyone who seems to be getting a free ride.
Anyone who comes out and says they get foodstamps, housing or any other benefits will be criticized by at least one loud mouthed person, who like other posters have said are just JEALOUS because they don't qualify for what you're getting. But really..would they be willingto live on a strict budget, and face the same issues and problems? There is more than meets the eye. But yes, people who accept public aid, whether by welfare, foodstamps or housing are constantly attacked.
I can't stand the "I pay taxes and don't want to support deadbeats" all of us who work pay taxes. What goes around comes around..and uncle sam takes the rest.
Anger shouldn't be directed towards welfare recipients, or rather the system and world we live in. Life itself is unfair, but none of us have the power to changes everyones life. So instead of getting angry and jealous, why not have a heart. All some heard here was this woman wants to live in santa monica..and what right does she have? What about the fact that she worked for years in the military, lived in other states and countries and has a daughter who she wants to give a better life to, but is limited financially. Why can't someone try to help their kids, even if they're poor.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,869 times
Back to the topic of looking at an apartment before renting it, I would further suggest that if you intend to move into multi-family housing in Santa Monica, that you have a conversation with potential neighbors about their relationship with the landlord/management, as frequently tenants move into an apartment only to discover the relationship between building management and tenants is not the most genial.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
I don't follow the line of reasoning that we the people who are against entitlement programs are jealous in any way that we do not qualify for this program or any other because we make too much money. I don't follow the line of reasoning that someone who is disabled can not work and make it on their own, plenty do it. I have a coworker that lives on crutches. She can not walk without them and could qualify for disability. She chooses not to give up because of a physical problem. I met a man that was completly disabled. He was an Engineer that still made money. He had rigged a set up at his home office that allowed him to still work. I think we the people are a resilient bunch and if given the chance we will succeed at life. For those of us that are succeeding we see the posibility that all others can also succeed in life. I remember when I was deep into the educational process of earning my BS and then my MBA. Those that had done it knew I would be successfull. Interestingly many that had little education past the high school level were a drag on my time. "You can't work full time with a wife and kids and go to school." It turns out that you can, and I did it. Like those that have accomplished things of value they have the beliefe system that most people could do what they did. To say that I or others are jealous because we can't get into a giveaway program is preposterous. Most of us have the beliefe that you can make it in life without a handout. We have a beliefe system that we don't need the giveaway system. I am just not that bright of person and if I can accomplish what I have accomplished in life than everyone else can as well. Ask the achievers that live in your area if others can do what they do and you will get the answer that yes you can do it and you can do it without help from the government.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,297 times
MissCherie, I'm assuming you have a HUD/VASH voucher? If so, your case manager should be able to give you additional advice on availability in Santa Monica. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,375 times
Smile Yes, but, what about employment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb724 View Post
The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) and the Housing Authority of the County of Los Angeles (HACOLA) are the two largest around. You will have a lot more luck porting to one of those PHAs. There are plenty of decent areas under the jurisdiction of these PHAs. They should have some listings with available Section 8 rentals or you can find some on your own (e.g. Craigslist).

Santa Monica is a relatively small housing authority with a limited supply of landlords that take Section 8. If you can get into Santa Monica, more power to you. Unfortunately for Section 8 voucher holders, the supply of Section 8 is much lower in places with high rents and low vacancies like Santa Monica. Landlords do not want to deal with all of the government red tape in dealing with Section 8 if they can rent the unit quickly to market rate people - not to mention some of the negative stereotypes that people have about Section 8 tenants.
I am a current film student looking to visit the LA area and it's surrounding inland neighborhoods this summer in hopes on relocating. I started college later in life, so with that I have 6 years experience as a waitress/banquet server, and 5 years experience as a CDL BPS bus driver.

I don't mind having to work two jobs and going to classes on wknds., what my main concern is, reading these posts and doing google research on the LA areas, there doesn't seem to be ANY jobs available, let alone feasible apartment rentals. So, how does one go about being able to afford that type of rent on low income and WHO THE HELL is willing to pay at least $1495 for JUST A STUDIO?

I'm really wanting to know answers from ppl who've lived there most of their lives and what agencies do you go to (NOT LISTED ONLINE) that'll help you in finding an apartment for under $800 per month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or