U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't follow the line of reasoning that we the people who are against entitlement programs are jealous in any way that we do not qualify for this program or any other because we make too much money. I don't follow the line of reasoning that someone who is disabled can not work and make it on their own, plenty do it. I have a coworker that lives on crutches. She can not walk without them and could qualify for disability. She chooses not to give up because of a physical problem. I met a man that was completly disabled. He was an Engineer that still made money. He had rigged a set up at his home office that allowed him to still work. I think we the people are a resilient bunch and if given the chance we will succeed at life. For those of us that are succeeding we see the posibility that all others can also succeed in life. I remember when I was deep into the educational process of earning my BS and then my MBA. Those that had done it knew I would be successfull. Interestingly many that had little education past the high school level were a drag on my time. "You can't work full time with a wife and kids and go to school." It turns out that you can, and I did it. Like those that have accomplished things of value they have the beliefe system that most people could do what they did. To say that I or others are jealous because we can't get into a giveaway program is preposterous. Most of us have the beliefe that you can make it in life without a handout. We have a beliefe system that we don't need the giveaway system. I am just not that bright of person and if I can accomplish what I have accomplished in life than everyone else can as well. Ask the achievers that live in your area if others can do what they do and you will get the answer that yes you can do it and you can do it without help from the government.
I am a current film student looking to visit the LA area and it's surrounding inland neighborhoods this summer in hopes of relocating. I started college later in life, so with that I have 6 years experience as a waitress/banquet server, and 5 years experience as a CDL BPS bus driver.

I don't mind having to work two jobs and going to classes on wknds., what my main concern is, reading these posts and doing google research on the LA areas, there doesn't seem to be ANY jobs available, let alone feasible apartment rentals. So, how does a single person go about being able to afford that type of rent on low income and WHO THE HELL is willing to pay at least $1495 for JUST A STUDIO?

I'm really wanting to know answers from ppl who've lived there most of their lives on which rental agencies do you go to (THAT MAY NOT BE LISTED ONLINE) that'll help one in finding an apartment for under $800 per month (my car payments I'm stuck with is what's killing my pay)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 AM

151 posts, read 570,313 times
bebe79, you really need to start your own thread.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM

12 posts, read 38,394 times
Default their jealous

first of all dont listen to these people, on here they are jealous you can live where ever you want in america on section 8. they even got section 8 in scottsdale arizona, most of these people who are putting you down are on the program their self or mad because they cant get it and cant live in the santa monica area, cause they cant afford it their is a poor beverly hills to that except section 8 keep looking you can find section 8 in santa monica, california. I respect you for serving your country most loosers that are putting you down havent even lift a finger to serve im on my way moving to santa monia california. all you have to do is visit rent a car and look for housing they want you to believe that section 8 isn't here its in every city and you have served this country long enough you deserve a break and deserve to be on section 8 so to all the jealous hearted people in ths post pleae do me a favor and get a life something you might not have that is the good thing about being an america citizen you can reap these type of programs. stop pointing the fnger when 3 is pointing at you i have no time for ignorance and thats what most of you on this post is ignorant. all that person ask is for your help just cause you cant move to santa monica you wana be jealous

Last edited by hammerhead21; 04-27-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead21 View Post
first of all dont listen to these people, on here they are jealous you can live where ever you want in america on section 8. they even got section 8 in scottsdale arizona, most of these people who are putting you down are on the program their self or mad because they cant get it and cant live in the santa monica area, cause they cant afford it their is a poor beverly hills to that except section 8 keep looking you can find section 8 in santa monica, california. I respect you for serving your country most loosers that are putting you down havent even lift a finger to serve im on my way moving to santa monia california. all you have to do is visit rent a car and look for housing they want you to believe that section 8 isn't here its in every city and you have served this country long enough you deserve a break and deserve to be on section 8 so to all the jealous hearted people in ths post pleae do me a favor and get a life something you might not have that is the good thing about being an america citizen you can reap these type of programs. stop pointing the fnger when 3 is pointing at you i have no time for ignorance and thats what most of you on this post is ignorant. all that person ask is for your help just cause you cant move to santa monica you wana be jealous
Huh?
I wouldn't be jealous of any section 8 housing.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,692 times
Default How do people even pay the 30%?

Section 8 people are required to pay 30% of their income on rent. How can SSI disabled people pay more than $430 when their total income is only $835 per mo. Are any of the Los Angeles Housing Authorities willing to forego the 30%? Are there other programs that might help? Section 8 does not allow anyone to rent a room to anyone else, so just where is that 30% supposed to come from? Which is better in terms of a housing authority and available, affordable, section 8 rentals: Pomona, Burbank, Redondo Beach or Santa Monica. The rents are outrageous. They are double of what one pays in Northern California.

Last edited by disabled senior; 07-16-2011 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,692 times
some housing authorities in California want caregivers to sleep in the living room of disabled seniors which puts a tiny household into chaos. Some housing authorities in the Los Angeles area want to put transferring people through the whole process again which causes huges delays. I get the feeling that the section 8 people do everything in their power to deny two bedrooms for disabled people needing caregivers.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:10 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead21 View Post
I wouldn't be calling anyone ignorant after trying to read your post.

I can't believe the number of spelling and grammatical errors.

Too many to go through.

But it is "They're Jealous", not "Their Jealous".

And people wonder why good jobs are going out of the country.

I really hope your post is a joke.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:56 PM

497 posts, read 1,236,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe79 View Post
I am a current film student looking to visit the LA area and it's surrounding inland neighborhoods this summer in hopes of relocating. I started college later in life, so with that I have 6 years experience as a waitress/banquet server, and 5 years experience as a CDL BPS bus driver.

I don't mind having to work two jobs and going to classes on wknds., what my main concern is, reading these posts and doing google research on the LA areas, there doesn't seem to be ANY jobs available, let alone feasible apartment rentals. So, how does a single person go about being able to afford that type of rent on low income and WHO THE HELL is willing to pay at least $1495 for JUST A STUDIO?

I'm really wanting to know answers from ppl who've lived there most of their lives on which rental agencies do you go to (THAT MAY NOT BE LISTED ONLINE) that'll help one in finding an apartment for under $800 per month (my car payments I'm stuck with is what's killing my pay)?

Get rid of your car and here you go for an apartment:

MOVE-IN-SPECIALS FROM $698INCLUDING UTILITIES 1BLOCK TO BEACH &ROSE AV (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2490151039.html - broken link)

Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 AM

21 posts, read 61,172 times
To think of living at the beach is really an enticing idea. But the truth is that the santa monica area is a tough place to live. it is a conflict between the very rich and celebrated persons to the overload of bums. santa monica real estate is very very high at the same time it has many many programs for the homeless. so at the beach you see psychotic filthy bums side by side with healthy looking tanned upper class. it is a huge conflict. right next to santa monica is venice. venice is a strongly gang held territory in l.a. dangerous, but again, has a beach life to it. if i had a child and wanted to live in california i'd go further up north. monterey, san francisco, santa rosa. l.a. is no place to bring a child. Moderator cut: trolling

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-27-2011 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: trolling

Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 PM

497 posts, read 1,236,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy lady View Post
To think of living at the beach is really an enticing idea. But the truth is that the santa monica area is a tough place to live. it is a conflict between the very rich and celebrated persons to the overload of bums. santa monica real estate is very very high at the same time it has many many programs for the homeless. so at the beach you see psychotic filthy bums side by side with healthy looking tanned upper class. it is a huge conflict. right next to santa monica is venice. venice is a strongly gang held territory in l.a. dangerous, but again, has a beach life to it. if i had a child and wanted to live in california i'd go further up north. monterey, san francisco, santa rosa. l.a. is no place to bring a child. Moderator cut: trolling
It sounds like you have spent very limited time in santa monica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or