Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscherie View Post
If some people's comments on here are any read of what I might encounter out there, may God help both my daughter and I because some of the things said are hurtful and ignorant.
Don't worry about what posters on this forum have to say in reguards to section 8 and expensive neighborhoods, They're jealous that you're in a situation that can provide you a place to live in an area they can't afford.

If the government gives you that option, More power to you !

You'll always get negative comments about public assistance (which is even more odd since California hands out more then any other state.) So don't worry about that. California is going to be a huge culture shock for you coming from Ohio.

If you can't get anywhere with Santa Monica, Try Pacific Palisades or El Segundo..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 AM

18 posts, read 56,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Don't worry about what posters on this forum have to say in reguards to section 8 and expensive neighborhoods, They're jealous that you're in a situation that can provide you a place to live in an area they can't afford.

If the government gives you that option, More power to you !

You'll always get negative comments about public assistance (which is even more odd since California hands out more then any other state.) So don't worry about that. California is going to be a huge culture shock for you coming from Ohio.

If you can't get anywhere with Santa Monica, Try Pacific Palisades or El Segundo..
@TXRyan23 I was in the military and have lived around the world including Japan and San Diego amongst other places so the culture shock shouldn't be a problem at all lol
I came back to Ohio after outprocessing but I've never really been an Ohio girl anyways.
Thank you for the positivity and suggestion of alternatives.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:26 AM

197 posts, read 667,308 times
The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) and the Housing Authority of the County of Los Angeles (HACOLA) are the two largest around. You will have a lot more luck porting to one of those PHAs. There are plenty of decent areas under the jurisdiction of these PHAs. They should have some listings with available Section 8 rentals or you can find some on your own (e.g. Craigslist).

Santa Monica is a relatively small housing authority with a limited supply of landlords that take Section 8. If you can get into Santa Monica, more power to you. Unfortunately for Section 8 voucher holders, the supply of Section 8 is much lower in places with high rents and low vacancies like Santa Monica. Landlords do not want to deal with all of the government red tape in dealing with Section 8 if they can rent the unit quickly to market rate people - not to mention some of the negative stereotypes that people have about Section 8 tenants.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 29,383 times
@ mscherie I was criticized big time for wanting to move out to San Diego or Orange County on section 8 housing. I live in Dallas, Texas and the people on those threads are telling me to stay put and not move out to California. They told me the exact same thing that I would end up homeless if I came there. I recieved a LOT of negative feedback. I already checked out the waiting lists and everything and I have been to Orange County a few times to look around and check things out. I think they have it all wrong! Some people on section 8 do abuse it but you can't be critical of other people just because of it. I use to work at a hospital and I worked in that industry for a number of years but I am under a doctors care and they advised me to work part time ONLY! I told my doctor it's hard to live off current income. The only way I know to make it off my income is get on section 8 so that they can help me pay part of my rent. I draw disability and I work part time doing home heath aide. I asked my doctor if he would support me going back to work full time and he said no. My doctor told me to keep my disability because once you lose it it's hard to get it back. So he advised me to work part time and keep what I have. All areas that take section 8 don't have bad areas because I have been to a couple of nice areas that I wouldn't mind living in. Section 8 renters are criticized because of other peoples behaviors and so forth and thats not right. I told the people on my thread I don't play loud music, I love nice things and I enjoy quiet. I don't know whats going on with section 8 and California. Someone told me that they were getting rid of section 8 in that state because they were having money problems. This whole country is having money problems its just not California and I don't see other states talking about they getting rid of there programs.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
I hate to break it to you but CA is worse off than many other states with money problems. Why does someone who is living on Section 8 housing feel the need to move to one of the most(if not thee most) expensive parts of the country to live in?

To the above poster, you should stay in TX. It is more cost effective.

Rents are higher, gas is higher, car insurance is higher in CA. Why would someone who relies on assistance who can only work part time move somewhere where the expenses are going to drastically increase?

That makes no sense.

You better do some research, CA is not the state to move to now if you're looking for assistance.

CA is also in trouble due to the fact so many abused the system. I know two people in CA who are guilty of this.

One says she is agoraphobic and gets CA state disability and hasn't worked in years. Yet she was able to get on a plane and go to Europe for 6 weeks. She is in her late 30s and hasn't worked in at least the last 8 yrs. She will tell you she doesn't like working(well who does)

Another(who is Section 8) in LA county actually lives in Orange County with family and subleases the apt that is Section 8.

You think they're the only two?

Well Jerry Brown is cutting back(he has no choice), years of abuse have made a mess of CA. The well has run dry.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I hate to break it to you but CA is worse off than many other states with money problems. Why does someone who is living on Section 8 housing feel the need to move to one of the most(if not thee most) expensive parts of the country to live in?

To the above poster, you should stay in TX. It is more cost effective.

Rents are higher, gas is higher, car insurance is higher in CA. Why would someone who relies on assistance who can only work part time move somewhere where the expenses are going to drastically increase?

That makes no sense.

You better do some research, CA is not the state to move to now if you're looking for assistance.

CA is also in trouble due to the fact so many abused the system. I know two people in CA who are guilty of this.

One says she is agoraphobic and gets CA state disability and hasn't worked in years. Yet she was able to get on a plane and go to Europe for 6 weeks. She is in her late 30s and hasn't worked in at least the last 8 yrs. She will tell you she doesn't like working(well who does)

Another(who is Section 8) in LA county actually lives in Orange County with family and subleases the apt that is Section 8.

You think they're the only two?

Well Jerry Brown is cutting back(he has no choice), years of abuse have made a mess of CA. The well has run dry.
@seaindublin
Why is it your business? No one asked you to state your opinion or voice your concern. At this point your comments are just redundant and useless. Please don't bother to concern yourself with how I will cover the "increased expenses."
I am 30 years old and have been on my own for quite some time. I'm a responsible person and tired of attempting to explain things to people who quite obviously don't understand my situation fully.
This isn't philosophy or sociology class to ask why people do what they do.
Go sit in a corner somewhere and conduct that conversation with yourself if you're so curious.
I'm not going to sit around all day and worry why people like you feel the need to comment on complete stranger's posts and continue to comment when they stated their opinion clearly the first place. Don't you have better things to do than worry about me?

P.S Section 8 is FEDERALLY funded and I never said I worked part time. You should really read more carefully.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb724 View Post
The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) and the Housing Authority of the County of Los Angeles (HACOLA) are the two largest around. You will have a lot more luck porting to one of those PHAs. There are plenty of decent areas under the jurisdiction of these PHAs. They should have some listings with available Section 8 rentals or you can find some on your own (e.g. Craigslist).

Santa Monica is a relatively small housing authority with a limited supply of landlords that take Section 8. If you can get into Santa Monica, more power to you. Unfortunately for Section 8 voucher holders, the supply of Section 8 is much lower in places with high rents and low vacancies like Santa Monica. Landlords do not want to deal with all of the government red tape in dealing with Section 8 if they can rent the unit quickly to market rate people - not to mention some of the negative stereotypes that people have about Section 8 tenants.
@jbr724 thanks for the input...actually HACOLA does indeed include some of Santa Monica's section 8.
Also for the info- i have actually been able to search both sites and there is some great info on there and more selection should things not work out in Santa Monica.
I also understand exactly where you're coming from on the negative stereotypes and I myself hate thinking about moving into an entire area of housing that would be filled with section 8 because not everyone uses the opportunity to build on their lives and many abuse it. I couldn't imagine myself and my daughter living in project housing or an unsafe area simply because I have section 8. People should be able to receive assistance and maintain a safe living condition.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnsonyvette View Post
@ mscherie I was criticized big time for wanting to move out to San Diego or Orange County on section 8 housing. I live in Dallas, Texas and the people on those threads are telling me to stay put and not move out to California. They told me the exact same thing that I would end up homeless if I came there. I recieved a LOT of negative feedback. I already checked out the waiting lists and everything and I have been to Orange County a few times to look around and check things out. I think they have it all wrong! Some people on section 8 do abuse it but you can't be critical of other people just because of it. I use to work at a hospital and I worked in that industry for a number of years but I am under a doctors care and they advised me to work part time ONLY! I told my doctor it's hard to live off current income. The only way I know to make it off my income is get on section 8 so that they can help me pay part of my rent. I draw disability and I work part time doing home heath aide. I asked my doctor if he would support me going back to work full time and he said no. My doctor told me to keep my disability because once you lose it it's hard to get it back. So he advised me to work part time and keep what I have. All areas that take section 8 don't have bad areas because I have been to a couple of nice areas that I wouldn't mind living in. Section 8 renters are criticized because of other peoples behaviors and so forth and thats not right. I told the people on my thread I don't play loud music, I love nice things and I enjoy quiet. I don't know whats going on with section 8 and California. Someone told me that they were getting rid of section 8 in that state because they were having money problems. This whole country is having money problems its just not California and I don't see other states talking about they getting rid of there programs.
@ajohnsonyvette
unfortunately this is the plight of being judged and misunderstood when you are/were a tax paying citizen who fell upon unfortunate circumstances.
I also dont "run the streets" and use gas often..I like to walk and being in Santa Monica makes that easier. Also living closer to school makes costs way less.
Other posters don't seem to understand that if you live frugally as a habit and are responsible with finances(as most limited income are forced to do) you can find alternative ways to live in a high cost area with thrift. I've done alot of research and Target stores, thrift stores etc are still as prevalent in Cali as they are in Ohio.
Secondhand and consignment shops are everywhere as are craigslist postings for furniture etc. There are a few things that you cant control the cost of living in expensive areas but most are within your control as a consumer/resident.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:44 PM

171 posts, read 530,424 times
mscherie, I hope you didn't think I was being critical of your choice of Santa Monica. It's a lovely city, and if that's where you want to live and you are able to then you should. I lived there with my family for awhile when I was a kid in the 60s. We were working class poor. The city has changed so much, but I'm glad to know that there are at least some places that are available to pople with less money to live on.

Why do so many people think being low-income is something to be ashamed of, almost as if it's a crime? I hope you find a good place for you and your daughter to live.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscherie View Post
@seaindublin
Why is it your business?
Dont mind him, He spends most of his free time complaining on the Florida forum too...

One of the best things about this country is that you move to and live in any place you want. Good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles