Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPorterPitt View Post
I and the others on line were flabbergasted. This goes to show you how irrational and useless it is to argue with some people. They just don't get it and some like in this case are so far in their own deluded world that they can't even see that THEY are the problem. The man looked so normal but obviously was incredibly twisted.

Yes, I realize not all of LA are like the weird encounters I've had but I am DEFINITELY seeing big differences out here with people and behavior.
To put this in perspective, I've been in the Greater LA Metro area most of my 55 years and have yet to encounter a line cutter. (And I currently live in a pretty rough area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Most people in Los Angeles will only be kind if THEY WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU!!!!!! These are the most DESPERATE people I have ever met. From the illegal aliens to the starving wannabe models/actors/millionaires.
Odd that your examples involve people NOT from L.A.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
I must admit that my knowledge of LA is pretty much limited to the West Side of LA and Santa Monica

3. What I don't like about people in WEST LA?

Never have time to smile
Don't really talk to you
Care about little else than their agenda
Rude, but only most...some people are very nice
The move, or we'll move you attitude
Traffic- people here really do not have a clue...four-way stops, stop-signs (or hesitate signs), right turns on red...(yes, you can!) pedestrian rules...etc. That frequently gets on my nerves as I try to be a conscientious driver and often find myself angry.
Clique-oriented society...if we don't know you...we really don't want to
Corrected to reflect your experience. LA's a huge place and can't be broad-brushed, as I'm sure you know.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
I was just at a mall in Burbank and while I was reading a sign, this young teenage couple walked in front of me and the girl actually said: "Excuse us please."

That was shocking to me! LOL
I say "excuse me" when I have to trundle in front of someone in a supermarket aisle. It's the way my mid-1920s era Los Angeles-raised parents taught me.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Dew, I'm loving all of your advice! Thanks. You should write an LA blog.

Yes, I have a fairly nice view in the Washington area. And a cashier at Ralph's talked my ear off but I was so moved by her genuine warmth.

The jay walking thing has taken a lot of getting used to. In NY we are SO used to pushing our way aggressively through. So to see people standing and waiting patiently for the light, even when they could safely walk, is very foreign to me.

But I don't want a ticket, so when in Rome, as they say. I haven't jay walked yet.

Beret guy drives a honda. I think his wife tends to drive the Jeep. Oh, I guess it's like that. We see who wears the pants in that family. (And who wears the beret.) ahahah
OK Since you're growing on me here's some more how-to-live-in LA advice: Ready?

Do not push people on the sidewalk. It just isn't done. And yes, we wait for the light. Remember when you are driving that the old lady taking forever to cross has the right-of-way. If there is a cop and he sees you turn in front of the old lady and she has to stop and wait for you, you will get a ticket. Newcomers don't like this. They are the ones in back of you honking. Ignore them. Pedestrians have the right-of-way. Period.

Earthquakes: When one hits turn on the TV asap. If it hits early in the morning you will get to see the news anchors without their hair and makeup done. This may be scary. There are two ladies who explain earthquakes to us. Kate Hutton and Lucy Jones. I am firmly Team Kate. Lucy is a nag.

Dallas Raines. It's almost time for him to start talking about his tomatoes. And yes. He really is that color. When you understand this you know you are putting down roots.

Radio: KNX 1070. Updates on traffic and weather. News. Movie reviews. If there is a car chase KNX will tell you where the bad guy and the 30 cops following him are and will clue you in on what areas to avoid. Also after quakes people call the up and tell the anchors how the quake felt in their location. We call this "free entertainment". People also call in traffic reports and sometims you will hear how traffic is on Hilo. (Listen long enough and you will understand.)

How people dress: Any bloomin' way they want to. Beret guy doesn't care what you think. He likes berets.

The Greek: It's just "The Greek". Do yourself a favor and see a concert there on a warm summer evening. There's no place like it. The Hollywood Bowl gets all the publicity, but the Greek is were it truly happens.

The DMV: May Jesus have mercy on your soul.

The Getty: Go! You pay for parking, entrance is free. Eat lunch on the lawn towards the back.

On a very clear day: Drive to the Queen Mary and walk around. (There is an entrance fee.) Have a drink and lunch admire the view. On a clear day you can see the San Gabriels (do it after it snows) and Catalina. This is one of the things that makes the hassel of LA worth it: Clear days when it's 75 in winter and the cousin you don't like is shoveling snow in the Bronx.

Tail-o-the-Pup. Eat there. Yes it's touristy. It's also a dang good dog.

Grauman's Chinese Theater: Go. Huge screen. Great sound system. Remember all the tourists in the checked shorts and sandals with socks are paying sales tax. You're a local now. Give them directions.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Radio: KNX 1070.
This is my go to station at earthquake time. During the '94 quake I got to hear equipment crashing, people screaming and some man yelling at everyone to get under the tables. The quake was so intense, they forgot to mute the mics in the studio. It was entertaining and kept my mind off my own injury.

Quote:

You're a local now.
Weeeellllll......

EDIT TO ADD: Use the appointment service offered by DMV. Do as much as possible online so you don't have to use even that.

Last edited by Fontucky; 02-16-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Weeeellllll......
I'm trying to give him a boost.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM

And I'm trying to be polite.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM

69 posts, read 149,773 times
Quote:
OK Since you're growing on me here's some more how-to-live-in LA advice: Ready?

Do not push people on the sidewalk. It just isn't done. And yes, we wait for the light. Remember when you are driving that the old lady taking forever to cross has the right-of-way. If there is a cop and he sees you turn in front of the old lady and she has to stop and wait for you, you will get a ticket. Newcomers don't like this. They are the ones in back of you honking. Ignore them. Pedestrians have the right-of-way. Period.

Earthquakes: When one hits turn on the TV asap. If it hits early in the morning you will get to see the news anchors without their hair and makeup done. This may be scary. There are two ladies who explain earthquakes to us. Kate Hutton and Lucy Jones. I am firmly Team Kate. Lucy is a nag.

Dallas Raines. It's almost time for him to start talking about his tomatoes. And yes. He really is that color. When you understand this you know you are putting down roots.

Radio: KNX 1070. Updates on traffic and weather. News. Movie reviews. If there is a car chase KNX will tell you where the bad guy and the 30 cops following him are and will clue you in on what areas to avoid. Also after quakes people call the up and tell the anchors how the quake felt in their location. We call this "free entertainment". People also call in traffic reports and sometims you will hear how traffic is on Hilo. (Listen long enough and you will understand.)

How people dress: Any bloomin' way they want to. Beret guy doesn't care what you think. He likes berets.

The Greek: It's just "The Greek". Do yourself a favor and see a concert there on a warm summer evening. There's no place like it. The Hollywood Bowl gets all the publicity, but the Greek is were it truly happens.

The DMV: May Jesus have mercy on your soul.

The Getty: Go! You pay for parking, entrance is free. Eat lunch on the lawn towards the back.

On a very clear day: Drive to the Queen Mary and walk around. (There is an entrance fee.) Have a drink and lunch admire the view. On a clear day you can see the San Gabriels (do it after it snows) and Catalina. This is one of the things that makes the hassel of LA worth it: Clear days when it's 75 in winter and the cousin you don't like is shoveling snow in the Bronx.

Tail-o-the-Pup. Eat there. Yes it's touristy. It's also a dang good dog.

Grauman's Chinese Theater: Go. Huge screen. Great sound system. Remember all the tourists in the checked shorts and sandals with socks are paying sales tax. You're a local now. Give them directions.
LOL!!! Very entertaining and helpful, too.

Re: Earthquakes. I'm very scared of them. I'm actually hoping to have one soon so I can just not obsess about what it will be like. My sister lives in San Diego and last Easter they had the 5.5 quake. She was terrified.

I just wish there was some notification system. There's just something very weird about knowing that any second one might happen. I was on a ladder today and I thought, "Now if a quake should happen right now, even a small one, I'm pretty much F***ed!" LOL

I'll try not to obsess and when it happens I'll just keep telling myself that it will end soon. (But beret wearing neighbors will not!)

Old 02-17-2011, 01:04 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
But at least we don't have many guidos and other Southern European descent "thug" types looking to pick a fight every two seconds.
On the other hand, we do have plenty of Nordic women who can be superficial, money grubbing, bubble-headed somethings, and I've had more than a handful of problems with men of Northern European ancestry acting like knuckle-dragging Viking thugs, so things can break either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles