Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,939 times

Advertisements

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these neighborhoods or apartments that I have been looking into, I have searched the forum and there has been great information posted on similar topics but I want a more personal answer.

I have a job lined up in Culver City near the Westfield Mall there and I have been looking at apartments in that neighborhood but it doesnt seem like it is too pedestrian friendly. I have read other posts here saying that the mall in Culver City is still really bad even though it looks nice, is that true? Is the southern end of Culver City a nice neighborhood where I could walk to shops and not have to feel scared.

Another neighborhood I have looked at because it seems really pedestrian friendly and looks kind of like San Francisco or some places around the Bay Area, is 90036 zip code, miracle mile or mid wilshire. Is this neighborhood a safe one to walk around in?

Basically what I am looking for is a safe neighborhood that I can easily get to shops or entertainment without needing to drive too much. Obviously I am aware of the rent down in LA, its the same situation in San Francisco, right now I pay $1400/month for a studio apartment.

Anyway some of the apartments I have been looking at are;
The Meadows in Culver City
6300 Green Valley

Park La Brea
6200 W.3rd Street

Museum Terrace Apartments
600 South Curson Ave.

Are there any others that anybody could suggest? or perhaps suggest staying away from any of the 3 I've listed. I am looking to only spend up to $1500 on rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
the westfield mall was recently revamped and is very nice. it does draw diverse crowd, but some people see that as a positive. i wouldn't want to live around there, not much else besides the mall and other chain stores. you may also check out living near the downtown culver city area. south of venice blvd. is mostly houses which are probably too expensive for you, but north of venice blvd there are tons of reasonably prices apartments. the miracle mile area is nice as well and more pedestrian friendly, but it's a bit of a drive down to culver city (probably 20-30 minute commute each way). i would also read the reviews on park la brea as i haven't heard too many positive things about it besides central location.

however, you're not going to find SF in LA, it just doesn't exist though urban types tend to really like venice and santa monica though (which are no farther from culver cith than the miracle mile). you may even like the parts of marina del rey that are near to washington blvd. ultimately, you'll need to take a trip down here and get a feel for the areas you are considering. good luck!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikariyuugi View Post
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these neighborhoods or apartments that I have been looking into, I have searched the forum and there has been great information posted on similar topics but I want a more personal answer.

I have a job lined up in Culver City near the Westfield Mall there and I have been looking at apartments in that neighborhood but it doesnt seem like it is too pedestrian friendly. I have read other posts here saying that the mall in Culver City is still really bad even though it looks nice, is that true? Is the southern end of Culver City a nice neighborhood where I could walk to shops and not have to feel scared.

Another neighborhood I have looked at because it seems really pedestrian friendly and looks kind of like San Francisco or some places around the Bay Area, is 90036 zip code, miracle mile or mid wilshire. Is this neighborhood a safe one to walk around in?

Basically what I am looking for is a safe neighborhood that I can easily get to shops or entertainment without needing to drive too much. Obviously I am aware of the rent down in LA, its the same situation in San Francisco, right now I pay $1400/month for a studio apartment.

Anyway some of the apartments I have been looking at are;
The Meadows in Culver City
6300 Green Valley

Park La Brea
6200 W.3rd Street

Museum Terrace Apartments
600 South Curson Ave.

Are there any others that anybody could suggest? or perhaps suggest staying away from any of the 3 I've listed. I am looking to only spend up to $1500 on rent.
Mid-wilshire/miracle mile is the perfect area for pedestrian life. Everything is walkable and close. Only West Hollywood rivals it.

Park La Brea is one of the largest apartment complexes in LA and has a horrible reputation. Google it. Then again, thousands of people seem to live there okay. But so many complaints, I'd be wary.

So the meadows is right next to your work but it's a pretty dull area. I dont' know how much excitement you're looking for.

While I'd say miracle mile/mid wilshire is going to be much more fun and cool to live than Culver City, it's a significant commute. an aparmtent in culver city (maybe the more fun part by downtown) would still be fairly social and walkable, but much closer to work

Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,939 times
Hey, thank you both so much for your replies. There is so much to think about for this move and its so overwhelming and just to hear that these places are pretty nice areas puts my mind more at ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles