Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 12:41 AM

9 posts, read 62,316 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new here and you guys have been so helpful giving us advice on your living experience in certain areas. With that, can I ask some opinion from you for an area near USC that I'm considering?

It's on West 23rd Street between Vermont & Hoover in the zip code of 90007.

What do you think of this area?

Thank you very much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 12:50 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,650 times
If it's near USC, it sucks. Don't move there unless you want to be dodging bullets regularly.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Even when it comes to the areas around USC that is not good. The closer to campus the better, or maybe I should say not as bad. There are some students who live as far north as 23rd st (the USC shuttle tram goes up to 23rd st), but at that point you're really mixing in with the ghetto. Just a block or so north of that and it gets SCARY. I'm guessing you're considering living there because you found a place that looks relatively cheap. There have been a whole bunch of muggings so far this year, both on the north side and the west side of campus-- some of them on the outside campus perimeter. I don't feel safe anywhere around here, but I'd feel even less safe there than say by 30th st. Chances are you're probably okay during the daytime, but you'll want to barricade yourself indoors at night. Getting back home from being on campus at night for classes, events, projects, library, gym, etc, could be a real issue. Are you going to have a car?

Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 28,837 times
I am a senior at USC and I work in downtown LA.. All I have to say is that I would NEVER live around that area. I get 2-5 emails each week from USC DPS Crime Alert about a USC student getting raped, robbed, and sometimes killed. Los Angeles is a HELLHOLE in every way. I live in Monterey Park which is only 14 miles away but can still take me up to an hour and a half to get to school or work.. Commuting sucks and living close sucks.. But if you are only going to go to school, just live as close to campus as possible.. NEVER EVER walk around the area at night or early early morning, don't prance around in $1000 worth of clothing if you are planning on walking around areas outside of USC, and just use common sense (which seems to be severely lacking in USC students). Anyway, good luck.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,674 times
You seem to know a lot about that area. I will be attending Argosy University in Los angeles. I have not heard great things. What do you know about El Segundo or Manhattan Beach area?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noel1023 View Post
You seem to know a lot about that area. I will be attending Argosy University in Los angeles. I have not heard great things. What do you know about El Segundo or Manhattan Beach area?
Manhattan Beach and El Segundo are fine areas in which to live. I'd be more worried about attending Argosy University, which has a rather shady reputation as a "for profit" institution.
Argosy University
FRONTLINE: College, Inc.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
Quote:
What do you know about El Segundo or Manhattan Beach area?
Are you serious?

El Segundo has a reputation of being a very safe area and Manhattan Beach is one of the priciest and most upscale places in the entire nation.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,894 times
Quote:
Why would you move to the Los Angeles area to go to a for-profit "college" that you could go to online?

And Manhattan Beach/El Segundo is a good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles