Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 PM

128 posts, read 781,776 times

Advertisements

I lived there, grew up there, and frequent the Filipino food stores in that area. So I have a more nuanced view than most people here, but I won't protest too much on the conclusion that it's a dump. There are TWO Starbucks in the area so it cant be that bad! The Wal-Mart is still standing. But the most successful part is just two blocks south of Roscoe/Van Nuys, which is the former GM Plant shopping center. The single-family residential areas of P.C. are quite nice. In fact, if you read the article carefully, the crimes happen in the dense apartment areas of the PC and North Hills.

If the Valley became its own city, P.C. would be the first visible beneficiary of having government closer. It's got "good bones", i.e, the history, the Metrolink stop, and the huge commercial possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Desertho said,
"But the most successful part is just two blocks south of Roscoe/Van Nuys, which is the former GM Plant shopping center..."

The area south of Roscoe Blvd. is outside of the area discussed in the article.

Blythe St., just across from the stores, had been the worst street in the SFV since the fifties. Has there been any improvment there?

Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I remember eating at Ron Perranoski's restaurant on Sepulveda north or Roscoe back in the early 1970s. Fedco was out there too I think. Don Drysdale had a bar on Oxnard in Van Nuys in the 1960s.
All of those places were very popular then.

The last time that I was in Don Drysdale's Dugout (in the eighties) it was owned by an elderly couple, and business wasn't very good.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
The only gang injunction we in the Valley have been able to obtain has been against the Blythe Street gangsters. So no, the area is not improved: it just means it would be easier to report gang activity were the residents confident enough to do so. But few do, as there are so many illegals.

Were one looking at the small, once nice homes in this former bedroom community of a long gone manufacturing hub, one would think Panorama City and North Hills a reasonable starter area. But in Los Angeles, starter does not mean modest, nor merely lacking some amenities. It means no English spoken or understood, gang area, and dangerous. The area also is the genesis of most of the pedestrian deaths and car-racing crashes in the Valley that hit the newsmedia locally. This article illustrates what your children would be facing daily.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I remember eating at Ron Perranoski's restaurant on Sepulveda north or Roscoe back in the early 1970s. Fedco was out there too I think. Don Drysdale had a bar on Oxnard in Van Nuys in the 1960s.
Fedco was on Raymer street, a small industrial street off of Sepulveda. It's a Target now. I love reading these memories of Van Nuys past.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Desertho said,
"But the most successful part is just two blocks south of Roscoe/Van Nuys, which is the former GM Plant shopping center..."

The area south of Roscoe Blvd. is outside of the area discussed in the article.

Blythe St., just across from the stores, had been the worst street in the SFV since the fifties. Has there been any improvment there?
I don't think so.

Blythe was the primary gang street in the 90s. Cops tried to improve these streets by preventing left turns or right turns off of nearby streets. This was done prevent drive by drug sales (middle class visiting these areas to purchase drugs from their cars).

Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Fedco was on Raymer street, a small industrial street off of Sepulveda. It's a Target now. I love reading these memories of Van Nuys past.
We lived in the neighborhood across the railroad tracks from the old Fedco. I use to walk by there on my way to school (Fulton Jr Hi). We use to go skateboard riding in the parking structure. Didn't it become a Gemco, after Fedco left? I remember something like that, but I'm not sure what.

My brother went to Noble Elementary, and they had gang fights there. Can you believe that - at an elementary school! It was on the north side of Roscoe, in the 'trouble' area, but still.

I cant remember the name of the street, it was right next to the freeway off Roscoe. It had lots of apartments. Well, it was well known, even back then, for drug deals. I think at one point they blocked off the street to traffic.

Another memory I have is walking to Farrells after school for ice cream. It was a pretty long walk, but we didn't care. It probably is not safe to walk in Van Nuys now!

I had a friend who lived near Blythe St (a street that intersected it), we never had any trouble. We didn't bother them & they didn't bother us.

We only lived there a short time, and we escaped unscathed.. Not somewhere I want to visit anytime soon.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
We lived in the neighborhood across the railroad tracks from the old Fedco. I use to walk by there on my way to school (Fulton Jr Hi). We use to go skateboard riding in the parking structure. Didn't it become a Gemco, after Fedco left? I remember something like that, but I'm not sure what.

My brother went to Noble Elementary, and they had gang fights there. Can you believe that - at an elementary school! It was on the north side of Roscoe, in the 'trouble' area, but still.

I cant remember the name of the street, it was right next to the freeway off Roscoe. It had lots of apartments. Well, it was well known, even back then, for drug deals. I think at one point they blocked off the street to traffic.

Another memory I have is walking to Farrells after school for ice cream. It was a pretty long walk, but we didn't care. It probably is not safe to walk in Van Nuys now!

I had a friend who lived near Blythe St (a street that intersected it), we never had any trouble. We didn't bother them & they didn't bother us.

We only lived there a short time, and we escaped unscathed.. Not somewhere I want to visit anytime soon.

Orion was a very, very, very, bad street on both sides of Nordhoff.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM

652 posts, read 2,803,690 times
Fedco was pretty cool. I got a watch, a walkman, and even a Casio keyboard there back in the 80's and 90's.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Fedco was pretty cool. I got a watch, a walkman, and even a Casio keyboard there back in the 80's and 90's.

Oh my gosh! Was the watch a black plastic Casio watch with a calculator. Remember those things? tee hee hee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles