Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 AM

75 posts, read 427,317 times

Advertisements

That's kind of sad, tearing down old homes to build a new one for the sake of a new one.
Does it really take 30 minutes to get to I-5? We were looking at houses at the top of Stevenson Ranch, Valencia Westridge, and Valencia Woodlands.
But, after looking at some houses in Calabasas, it appears to be a better choice. Doesn't seem nearly as communal, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
22 miles from La Canada to Beverly Hills.

30 miles from Santa Clarita to Beverly Hills.

Arguably there is the same amount of stuff to do in both areas and I suspect it will be more a matter of personal taste than anything else.

La Canada/Pasadena/Arcadia = closer to Pasadena and Glendale downtowns(large downtowns BTW), closer to mountains, skiing etc. Likely better public schools than Santa Clarita. Most housing stock was built in the 60's and 70's.

Santa Clarita = new build community. Still very good schools. Much more suburban family with young children living. Less access to anything other than new build/chain store etc.
If you want good schools, why not try Burbank? Closer to BH than La Canada and Santa Clarita, although more expensive than Santa Clarita (not as expensive as La Canada though outside of certain neighborhoods...)

Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM

75 posts, read 427,317 times
Thank you for your input.
We were only looking at Beverly Hills for it's proximity to everything that the west side has to offer. So, I believe that's ruled out for the most part. Now it's down to Santa Clarita and Calabasas.
We've done research on both places. We love how the public schools have great markings, we also like the suburban nature. Aesthetically, though, we don't think that Calabasas is as friendly has Santa Clarita. It looks too private, locked up behind the gated neighborhoods. In Santa Clarita, we were looking at a gated community, but it still looks more sociable than Calabasas.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
I will only speak on Santa Clarita as that's where I'm from.

Santa Clarita is a good place if you want to remove yourself from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles.
The Stevenson Ranch/Westridge area has very nice schools that rival anything you might find in the city of LA.
Santa Clarita is a city itself and living there you wouldn't travel into LA unless for work.
The commute into the city can be quite bad if you hit rush hour.
Santa Clarita is more aimed at raising a family and is not the hippest place.
If you choose to live there you will have slightly warmer and colder weather.
Santa Clarita is more conservative than LA.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:50 AM

587 posts, read 1,462,414 times
Has the OP actually visited BH or SCV before?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:26 PM

587 posts, read 1,462,414 times
I'm even more confused. Last year you mentioned that you wanted to live in Manhatten and wanted to know if $60,000 would cover rent with a room mate. You also mentioned your budget would have to stretch to cover Prada and Gucchi clothes you have to have. Then you mentioned being an intern in the Bay area, but considering Portland (where you are from) but still needed help with

In less than one year you are newly qualified Architect who can afford a Beverly Hills home and has a family - not a roommate as you did last year???????????

Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 38,324 times
Comparing Santa Clarita to Beverly Hills is ridiculous. There could not be more of a distinction between the two. Beverly Hills is full of beautiful homes in an area with fabulous weather. Santa Clarita has some nice homes, but is a nightmare to drive through, and is surrounded by crummy developments. Santa Clarita has atrocious weather, windy and hot. And the air smells funny.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM

54 posts, read 169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenstemon View Post
Comparing Santa Clarita to Beverly Hills is ridiculous. There could not be more of a distinction between the two. Beverly Hills is full of beautiful homes in an area with fabulous weather. Santa Clarita has some nice homes, but is a nightmare to drive through, and is surrounded by crummy developments. Santa Clarita has atrocious weather, windy and hot. And the air smells funny.
What does funny air smell like?

Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,079,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker19 View Post
Thank you for your input.
We were only looking at Beverly Hills for it's proximity to everything that the west side has to offer. So, I believe that's ruled out for the most part. Now it's down to Santa Clarita and Calabasas.
You lost me there. Beverly Hills is plenty close to "everything that the west side has to offer". Certainly much closer than Calabasas which doesn't have a direct route to the West Side, so you will be using the 405 and essentially passing by Beverly Hills.

If being close to the West Side is important to you, I would recommend you look in Brentwood (between Wilshire and Sunset, west of the 405), Beverly Hills/Bel Air and even down to Marina del Rey. Outside the area, I am partial to Pasadena as well, having lived off Orange Grove right next to the million-dollar homes, as it is close to Burbank/Glendale for schools and shopping and has plenty of things to do in Old Town.

Nice problem to have, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles