Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 35,503 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted to attend CalArts for an MFA in Composition - and I intend to go there for at least two years. CalArts (California Institute of the Arts) is located in Valencia in the Santa Clarita Valley. I've never moved in my life - even while getting my undergraduate, I lived at home with my family. I'll be transplanting from DeLand, FL, which is located near Daytona Beach, FL. I also have a husband who will going to CalArts as well.

Is it convenient enough to get around the Santa Clarita area without a car? Should I consider selling it to offset LA area rent, gas prices, and car insurance? Central Florida has minimal transportation, and it's always been more convenient to drive, so I drive ALL THE TIME, but I know I can adjust. My husband and I also have bicycles.

Also, how expensive are LA groceries in comparison to the rest of the country?

I've found an apartment for $950 a month - 1 bed/1 bath and about 700 square feet, includes washer and dryer, water and trash. Is this a reasonable price? It's within four miles of the CalArts campus. Keep in mind that I'm used to $525 a month for rent in central FL.

I've heard that most folks keep the windows open most of the year in LA - is this true for the most part?

Does anyone know of a church in the area that needs an experienced choir director/ accompanist/ contemporary worship leader/ singer? I'll need a job right away.

If anyone lives or has lived in Santa Clarita and would like to offer advice not pertaining to either of these things, I would surely appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieThePiano View Post
Is it convenient enough to get around the Santa Clarita area without a car? Should I consider selling it to offset LA area rent, gas prices, and car insurance? Central Florida has minimal transportation, and it's always been more convenient to drive, so I drive ALL THE TIME, but I know I can adjust. My husband and I also have bicycles.
No, no, no! Bring the car! The Los Angeles area is not mass transit friendly except in a few specific areas (depends on where you work, live, etc.). Expect a rude shock when you get your insurance quotes. And of course the cost of gas but you already know that. I hope your car is an economy model.

You're in luck with the bicycles, bring 'em too! There's lots of bike paths and bike lanes, plenty of places to go.

I worked in the Valencia & Santa Clarita area for about 5 years. (I live in the San Fernando Valley just to the south of the Santa Clarita valley.) I'd be happy living in Valencia or Santa Clarita, lots of nice recent construction, nice shopping, pretty area, clean streets.

Quote:
I've found an apartment for $950 a month - 1 bed/1 bath and about 700 square feet, includes washer and dryer, water and trash. Is this a reasonable price? It's within four miles of the CalArts campus. Keep in mind that I'm used to $525 a month for rent in central FL.
I've just the last week went apartment hunting helping a friend who is moving back to SFV and your $950 for 700 square feet sounds like pretty reasonable rent compared to the apartments my friend was looking at, particularly if you're in a newer building. He was looking for 1-2 BR about 850 square feet and found prices in the $1100-$1200 area, saw one much smaller 1BR in an older building for about $850. I'm not sure how SFV prices compare to SCV prices, but probably not too far off, probably higher here. Be very careful to understand which utilities are included and which you pay yourself.

Quote:
I've heard that most folks keep the windows open most of the year in LA - is this true for the most part?
I open my windows most good weather days and most days are good enough weather for that. I almost always leave my bedroom window open a bit at night even in bad weather because I like the fresh air and sleep better when it's cold. SFV and SCV weather are very similar although SCV is higher in elevation and very rarely can get snow, but it's so rare and so little that it's a novelty and not anything to expect most years. It can get quite hot in both valleys in summer and fall, and you will definitely use your air conditioner. I hope your apartment building has a swimming pool!

Quote:
If anyone lives or has lived in Santa Clarita and would like to offer advice not pertaining to either of these things, I would surely appreciate it.
You're moving to a nice area, plenty of shopping, plenty of restaurants, great for outdoors lovers. I'd be happy to live there too except I just retired and I'm moving out of state to find lower cost of living to stretch my retirement dollars. I hope you have a good time there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles