Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Really the reason I came back to the LA forum after a seriously long absence from it is just to tell those struggling to assimilate that...it is possible!

Yes! If I can do it then by God anyone can.

Oh how I cried my first years here (moving from the northeast). So so soooooooooooooooo homesick, seriously homesick, crying-homesick to the point where any respectable person would have said "OMG, JerZ, pull up your big girl panties and get on with it!"

Well, I've now officially been here six years and I noticed this year that...all of a sudden this area feels like home. It really and truly feels like home. Not 100% of the time and there are things I still miss, badly, but there are also things that have come to light upon returning to the NE a few times for trips and saw the comparisons in a whole new light...

People are nicer here. Oh, how I fought that one. "They're not nicer -- they're just more fake!" Erm, nope. They really are nicer.

The snooty plastic surgery people aren't everywhere in LA. They don't constitute all of LA. They constitute a percentage of it just as any city has its percentage of complete *ssh* les.

The weather really does kick butt.

The geography is beautiful and fascinating. The mountains are GINORMOUS, especially to someone from another part of the country.

There are a bajillion parks and park areas where you can get your granola crunching quota in (or I get mine in this way, anyway) and lots of mountain areas to camp or stay in.

There's a lot to do.

It has its drawbacks. Some parts of LA S UCK. No doubt about it. Some parts about every area s uck, though. After a while, you get to know what s ucks and what doesn't and what areas are appealing and which make you want to throw up, just like you knew, in your former home, wherever that was (for me it was northern NJ), what areas are appealing and which make you want to throw up. And you start to hang around the appropriate ones.

You find your "favorite areas." You find the places you want to go over and over. And you find new places all the time.

I...I...I (taking deep breath) (struggling) oh for God's sake I can't help it I LIKE IT HERE!!!!!

Just in case anyone was wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Yay!

Nice to read a post that isn't all gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe.

Good for you. Have a donut!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yay!

Good for you. Have a donut!
Perfect, we have a Donut Man within driving distance...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
People are nicer here. Oh, how I fought that one. "They're not nicer -- they're just more fake!" Erm, nope. They really are nicer.

The snooty plastic surgery people aren't everywhere in LA. They don't constitute all of LA.
The text in bold is by far is one of the most prevailing attitudes I see from the clueless. Welcome to Clueville. Welcome to assimilated L.A.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The text in bold is by far is one of the most prevailing attitudes I see from the clueless. Welcome to Clueville. Welcome to assimilated L.A.
Thank you. Share my and DewDropInn's donut?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 PM

One of those strawberry ones from that place in Glendora?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
One of those strawberry ones from that place in Glendora?
Okay, now THAT is funny, I was *just* going to say "It's strawberry!" And yes! It's the place in Glendora. Darned place makes you pay cash! But worth every penny.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM

I'm so there. But I don't share well when it comes to strawberry anything,.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I'm so there. But I don't share well when it comes to strawberry anything,.
In that case...bring cash!

Love ya bud!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I have a donut place like that here in Sherman Oaks, too. They also make you pay cash.

JerZ, I'm so glad you found a way to call So-Cal home! I think we're nicer out here, too.

Most of the fake, pretentious people come from somewhere else. They were the beauty queen in their home town and won a couple of talent shows, to the point that they think being an actor is the next logical step. Yes, I'm generalizing, but this happens all too often.

I have no patience with the Hollywood vibe. I'm on vacation for the next few days, and you know what I'm going to do? I'm going up the coast to Solvang (I've never been there) and I'm going to tour the Regan Library in Simi Valley. I'd go for a hike in the mountains, too, if I didn't have a lousy sense of direction.

It's impossible to classify all 11 million people in L.A. County, and when you throw in another 4 million from Riverside and San Bernardino counties, the task becomes even more difficult. The beauty of this area is that you can create any kind of life you want. With so many of people here, I'm sure that the majority of us are living normal lives.

I've said a lot of this on City-Data before, so sorry for being repetitive. (Going away quietly now to munch on my own donut...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles