Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM

19 posts, read 161,000 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be visiting Long Beach in a week to check out neighborhoods/areas and look at apartments to get a good idea of what to expect when I move out there in June. Just wondering if these areas are good or wouldn't be worth my time to check out.

1. E Broadway and Alamitos Ave
2. E 4th street between Cherry Ave and Redondo Ave
3. E 3rd street between Long Beach Blvd. and Atlantic Ave

And from what I've read, just double checking, anything along the beach, so Ocean Blvd, is good. And also, Naples and Bixby Knolls.

What about the East Village Arts District?

Thanks!! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
All are ok. Nothing great, nothing disastrous.

Obv NOT Naples or even Bixby, which are basically 2 of the nicest areas of Long Beach.

Urban areas with urban issues. Not really the place for kids, but fine for adults desiring living near or in a downtown of a large city.

I don't know what the arts district is.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:35 PM

38 posts, read 106,205 times
Depends on if you are family orientated or not.
Arts districts for parties.
Bixby more for families.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM

171 posts, read 530,424 times
I've lived in one of those locations (3) for more than 20 years. It's a fine neighborhood. I'd say it's improved over the years, changed in not a bad way anyway. It's fairly quiet for being downtown. This neighborhood is located within the East Village Arts District, though just outside the nicer part which is one block south on Broadway. I like it because it's within walking distance of so many things (2 major grocery stores and 2 farmers markets a week, the restaurants on Pine, the main library) and close to public transportation if you need it.

But people see things differently sometimes. My Dad always thought it looked a bit shoddy (?) but my Mom thought it was lovely. Go figure. Hope you find someplace you like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filxoxo View Post
I'm going to be visiting Long Beach in a week to check out neighborhoods/areas and look at apartments to get a good idea of what to expect when I move out there in June. Just wondering if these areas are good or wouldn't be worth my time to check out.

1. E Broadway and Alamitos Ave
2. E 4th street between Cherry Ave and Redondo Ave
3. E 3rd street between Long Beach Blvd. and Atlantic Ave

And from what I've read, just double checking, anything along the beach, so Ocean Blvd, is good. And also, Naples and Bixby Knolls.

What about the East Village Arts District?

Thanks!! =)

Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I'd say 1 and 2 are the better of the group.

Generally, the further you go west of Atlantic.... seems to be more spotty.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 AM

Thanks for the information. And to give a little more detail, I'm moving with my friend, we are females in our early 20's from the Midwest, so we are not family oriented. We are open to pretty much anything and just want a place to live, even if it is a ****hole, as long as we can feel a sort of comfort walking home during the night. We are used to the traffic and crime of Chicago. We don't want to live in a conservative family oriented neighborhood but we also don't want to be surrounded by party freaks dealing drugs...

Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
A late night walk for two early 20's females in that area is probably not such a great idea, particularly after 10pm. Its an urban downtown area.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Which area? The East Arts District?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM

171 posts, read 530,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filxoxo View Post
Which area? The East Arts District?
It's been my experience that walking in the East Village after 10pm feels safer on Friday and Saturday nights or when there is a convention in town or maybe some other event in the general area that puts more pedistrians and cars out. But then that's pretty much a given in any area. There is safety -- actual or perceived -- in numbers.

Broadway and Alamitos is right on one of the borders of East Village. The area you mention in your 3rd choice is within the East Village.

Here are some good links to get a feel for the area before you come to visit.

East Village Association

Downtown Long Beach - East Village Arts District

Long Beach East Village Arts District

Crime maps and statistics, if you're interested. The East Village is in the South Division.
City of Long Beach, CA - Crime Statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: