Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM

7 posts, read 180,206 times

Advertisements

We were/still are hoping to be transferred to San Diego with Dh's job, BUT it appears as though it could be Los Angeles instead. Forgive my ignorance, please - I have only visited LA a few times and don't know a lot about the City and it's areas.

If my husband were to be working downtown, where should we look at for a family friendly neighborhood with good elementary schools?

Is the cost of living similar to San Diego?

THANK YOU!!
Connie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,023,765 times
Well, it's a little more expensive in Los Angeles and I wouldn't consider LA family friendly nor a good place to raise children. Neighboring suburbs like Torrance, Burbank, the beach cities, Glendale, and South Pasadena are good places, as long as it's not in the City of Los Angeles.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 31,314 times
You don't mention a budget, or if you plan on renting or buying, but I would suggest looking at South Pasadena first.. If you want "good" elementary schools but don't insist on "stellar" elementary schools (going by test scores/API), consider Pasadena or maybe Eagle Rock too.. One could presumably commute by bus or rail to downtown to any of these areas and I don't think the drive is that crazy compared to some other areas..

Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,622,952 times
there are many places in LACo, even within LA city that are great for raising a family. some might disagree, but they probably have never tried raising kids in the city.

i have, its been fine, and i live in an area where some would never come to.

if your husband is working in DTLA, then i suggest staying north/north east. mt. washington and eagle rock are nice, further north are south pas and pasadena, both desirable cities. you can check school scores on this website California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times

it really all depends on budget. some west side areas are pretty good, but i ll let a west sider inform you better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy12 View Post
We were/still are hoping to be transferred to San Diego with Dh's job, BUT it appears as though it could be Los Angeles instead. Forgive my ignorance, please - I have only visited LA a few times and don't know a lot about the City and it's areas.

If my husband were to be working downtown, where should we look at for a family friendly neighborhood with good elementary schools?

THANK YOU!!
Connie

Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,580,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy12 View Post

THANK YOU!!
Connie
Rent = Same as San Diego equivalent neighborhoods
Buying = More than equivalent San Diego neighborhoods.

Best communities with good elementary schools closest to downtown LA are South Pasadena, parts of Glendale, Burbank, and LaCresenta, La Canada.

Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Toluca Lake, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, and Eagle Rock are also fairly close and may have decent elementary schools(but may not...varies), but all are LAUSD and as such have busing issues and also issues at anything beyond elementary.

All of the above are no more than a 45 minute drive from downtown LA in the worst of traffic(Sherman Oaks...depending on where you are...may be longer at the worst times). Most are going to be a 15-20 minute commute most days. Something like Burbank might be 35 minutes in bad traffic...at 8am or so. South Pasadena, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Eagle Rock, and Glendale are closest.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,262,200 times
ALMOST NO NEIGHBORHOOD in the city of LA is family friendly. One could argue that Pacific Palisades and the northern parts of Brentwood are, but they are also the most expensive parts of City of LA to live in. (and also not close to downtown)

I agree with the other posters and recommend the cities of Pasadena, Glendale, or Burbank. They are decently family friendly, much more so than most parts of City Of LA. And are not too far from downtown

Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,947,042 times
For really family friendly (aka the suburbs), you're probably going to have to venture further north or further east.

Now with work in Downtown ... will they be regular working hours? Reason being is that if the Metrolink schedule can work out, then that really opens up your options to live further away and not have to deal with the stress of the commute.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 PM

1,962 posts, read 6,780,552 times
All the areas posted above could work. You have to realize that the LA area and the whole southern CA is more like having variable pockets. Things might be great in a specific area but 2 blocks away is not so good. This pattern repeats itself. You just have to research and initially rent until you see what area works best for you as far as commute/schools and price.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,627,064 times
We lived in South Pasadena, and found it to be the perfect family-friendly location. It's by no means the ONLY family-friendly option in the area, but it's very nice. Easy commute to downtown, too. Very safe, good schools, wonderful parks, nice sense of community. We loved our time there, and only moved due to a job relocation.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM

7 posts, read 180,206 times
I can't thank you all enough!! This has been SO helpful! We are patiently awaiting news, but it looks like it could potentially be Santa Ana as well, and we'd prefer that over downtown LA for sure. We will see, and I will continue to do some LA research based on all of your recommendations and advice.

Thank you SO much!
Connie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles