Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:03 PM

18 posts, read 29,087 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

So my boyfriend and I are moving in together starting June 1 at the latest. My question is about when to start the apartment search in earnest - visiting, buying any pay site logins, etc.

For reference, we're looking for a 2br, 1.5+ba somewhere in the Culver City area. Ideally, it'd be close to Venice/Robertson (maybe Jefferson/La Cienega?) as I want to eventually use the train to get to work (Expo Line phase 1 gets done this fall, supposedly).

I figured June 1 might be a sizeable student move-out date - when do you think managers would know about any vacancies for then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
available units USUALLY move fairly quickly, which means that landlords will probably not hold a unit for you for very long. knowing that, you probably shouldn't start looking for places until the beginning of may at the earliest. be prepared to pay double rent if you find a place you really like early in your search. fwiw, i once had a landlord hold a place for me for 3 weeks, but i really had to beg and plead for that.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM

18 posts, read 29,087 times
Thanks so much for the reply - I suspected that I'd have to wait, but man am I getting antsy to find a cool place and lock it down! I guess I'm just too much of a no-surprises planner type of person. :-P

Also, in your (and everyone else's) opinion, are the pay sites like Westside Rentals worth the money? I would like a search that's as quick and hassle-free as we can get, but I've never used a pay site so I don't know how much easier the process is with them.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM

362 posts, read 817,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethyD View Post
Thanks so much for the reply - I suspected that I'd have to wait, but man am I getting antsy to find a cool place and lock it down! I guess I'm just too much of a no-surprises planner type of person. :-P

Also, in your (and everyone else's) opinion, are the pay sites like Westside Rentals worth the money? I would like a search that's as quick and hassle-free as we can get, but I've never used a pay site so I don't know how much easier the process is with them.
Quite honestly... yes.

Craigslist used to be about as useful as WR, but is now loaded with spam, fake postings, and foreclosure loan scams...

Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 PM

42 posts, read 69,856 times
Here's my advice as someone who is also in the market for a new apartment to rent. Use www.padmapper.com. It combines various website listings into one. It is also updated every few hours. They also pull from Craigslist.

If you use Craigslist, make sure the place has a picture. That's the motto I use. If it has a picture, then it is probably legit. Also look up the Management Company that is on the ad because on their website they will generally have the same information for that available apartment.

Since it is LA, stuff does move FAST. Set up appointments only two days before you want to start viewing the units.

Here's a little trick. Since there is so much availability right now, monitor sites like Padmapper. A lot of apartments are listed for a few days then taken down, then relisted for a few more days, then taken down, etc, etc. The reason for this is that they cannot rent these units due to so much availability and they want to give the appearance that each place they are listing goes fast. Use this to your advantage because these landlords may be willing to negotiate lower rents just to unload the place.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethyD View Post

Yes, its worth it.

Theres other ways to find rentals too.

But with what you are looking for...as long as your budget is reasonable, you really shouldn't have a problem.

I spent almost 3 months researching online and driving through areas last year.

When it got to within 30 days of my targeted move-in, I set up appointments. Most places allow you to hold a place for a minimal deposit for up to 30 days. Each place I went to, I had already researched, read online reviews, researched the owners, and driven through the neighborhood. Signed a lease at a place I looked at on the first day, moved in 3 weeks later.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
the last two replies are great advice. i just moved out here. i was too eager as you about finding a place and would browse apartments weeks before i got there. most listings and places are gone within 3-5 days. it's best to start searching just a couple of days before you move then proceed by making an appt to view the place.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
the last two replies are great advice. i just moved out here. i was too eager as you about finding a place and would browse apartments weeks before i got there. most listings and places are gone within 3-5 days. it's best to start searching just a couple of days before you move then proceed by making an appt to view the place.
Which neighborhoods did you focus on mostly?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
mainly glendale, burbank, and pasadena since my work is downtown. i found a decent deal in burbank and signed a lease soon after viewing the place in person. only saw 3 places luckily.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Glad it worked out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles