Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,584 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the city this summer to intern in the music industry. My office is on the sunset strip (near sunset and olive) and I am looking for affordable housing that is within a reasonable commute. Looking on craigslist I have found that most summer sublets are coming out of the Westwood (UCLA) area but some have said that is a tough commute. I am expecting to have roommates so that is no problem. I just need a place for under $750 a month.

Suggestions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM

42 posts, read 69,883 times
Does UCLA have summer housing? If so, that's probably your best option because you don't have to worry about utilities and usally move in/move out dates are flexible. The commute shouldn't be terrible, especially in comparison to LA commutes in general.

Westwood is always huge in the summer sublet market because college students are the only ones who don't need their apartments in summer.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I've been looking in the UCLA area mostly but some people have said it's an awful commute. I can handle 20-30 min if that's what we're talking.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Actually, UCLA to the strip is easy. You just go straight on Sunset. Since you're already east of the 405, there will be minimal traffic on Sunset until you hit Doheny Drive. Then even if you're stuck bumper to bumper, Olive Dr is not far at all. It shouldn't be more than 20-30 min.

Why are you only looking at UCLA area - you realize Westwood is very expensive. West Hollywood is just about as expensive, though both will be affordable if you have a roommate (a same room roommate).

Check out Hollywood - you may even be able to get your own room out there for that budget. And it's a lot more fun than Westwood/UCLA.

I see you're looking at a summer sublet only, I still would look around Hollywood.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'm not strictly looking in Westwood but most of the summer sublets seems to be there because of the students like you said. I'll continue to check Hollywood for sure. Any suggestions on places to look other than Craigslist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Actually, UCLA to the strip is easy. You just go straight on Sunset. Since you're already east of the 405, there will be minimal traffic on Sunset until you hit Doheny Drive. Then even if you're stuck bumper to bumper, Olive Dr is not far at all. It shouldn't be more than 20-30 min.

Why are you only looking at UCLA area - you realize Westwood is very expensive. West Hollywood is just about as expensive, though both will be affordable if you have a roommate (a same room roommate).

Check out Hollywood - you may even be able to get your own room out there for that budget. And it's a lot more fun than Westwood/UCLA.

I see you're looking at a summer sublet only, I still would look around Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: