Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times

Advertisements

Fox Hills, Ladera... six of one, half a dozen of another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 02:29 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
13% and 12% = significant?
Considering the fact that I come from a city where the black population is a little under 6%, I'd say 13-12% is pretty significant in my book. But that's just me, being a minority race in a predominately white and mexican populated city. If you want to go even further, I'm not really black but carribean. I'm Haitian-american. Outside of Florida and New England, there's not many of us anywhere on the west coast. For me to find even a city that is 3% Haitian anywhere past the mid-west is significant. But again, that's just me being a minority race in this city. I'm absolutely sure Asians feel the same way in the southern states. I was just in GA two weeks ago. I was visiting some cities in Gwinnett County. 7.2% Asian. In a predominately white and black populated city like Atlanta AND the state of GA, I'd say that is pretty damn significant. Of course to them and somebody like me who knows what it's like.

Last edited by allenk893; 04-02-2011 at 02:55 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 02:57 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Every time I compose a response to your posts, they're either deleted or edited. Please make up your mind about what you want to post. Thank you.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If you want to go even further, I'm not really black but carribean. I'm Haitian-american.

Haiti is about 97% black (the overwhelming majority of people there are descendants of African slaves). “Caribbean” is not a race.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessyca25 View Post
Im thinking about moving to LA....I need some advice on what to do and which area to consider moving to? PLEASE HELP!!!!
How about some more relevant info other than your race? Where will you work? Renting? Buying? Budget? Kids?

The fact that you mention your race has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything. Cant believe people are actually giving you recommendations based on this. Stupid really. I own a condo south of the blvd in Sherman Oaks and there are blacks, jews, persians, russians, asians, indians, etc. all living in the same area. Its a great area. I live in my home here in Woodland Hills and same thing, I see lots of hispanics, blacks, whites, indians, persians, armenians, etc. Point is, that pretty much ANYWHERE in LA you will find people of all races all mixed in.

So, give us some more information so we can actually give you a recommendation.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
How about some more relevant info other than your race? Where will you work? Renting? Buying? Budget? Kids?

The fact that you mention your race has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything. Cant believe people are actually giving you recommendations based on this. Stupid really. I own a condo south of the blvd in Sherman Oaks and there are blacks, jews, persians, russians, asians, indians, etc. all living in the same area. Its a great area. I live in my home here in Woodland Hills and same thing, I see lots of hispanics, blacks, whites, indians, persians, armenians, etc. Point is, that pretty much ANYWHERE in LA you will find people of all races all mixed in.

So, give us some more information so we can actually give you a recommendation.
I was about to say the same thing. What does race have to do with anything? I am white, my wife is Mexican, we spend time with another couple where the man is black and his wife is Asian. That is about as mixed a group as you can get and we never so much as raise an eye brow.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

Haiti is about 97% black (the overwhelming majority of people there are descendants of African slaves). “Caribbean” is not a race.
First of all, I've never been to Haiti. Stop assuming you know where I've been and what I've been through. If I had been to Haiti, I would have put that on my profile. Notice I said I am Haitian-american. Haitian-american. I was never born nor raised in Haiti. It's not my race. That however is my nationality as that is my parent's birthplace and culture and where they were raised as we were raised into their culture HERE as well as learning the language. It's where my family comes from and where all of them grew up. Me being born here is simply that. I was just born and raised here. It's exactly the same way for alot of people in CA who were born and raised in America but nationalities are Polynesian, Samoan, Australian. I was pointing out the fact that there are a small number of us (Haitians) past the mid-west. Just like Jamaicans, Bahamians, and other Caribbean nationalities out in the Atlantic. Your so trigger happy, you failed to step outside your bubble to see things in another perspective.

Last edited by allenk893; 04-02-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was about to say the same thing. What does race have to do with anything? I am white, my wife is Mexican, we spend time with another couple where the man is black and his wife is Asian. That is about as mixed a group as you can get and we never so much as raise an eye brow.
Black people like to be where there are other black people because of alot of things. Similar social issues, convenience to barber shops and hair salons for OUR type of hair, getting the hook-up about where to go to meet other black singles or clubs or being around black families and so on and so forth. I can definitely say the same for asian people moving to Texas wanting to live near or in asian communities. It's the same thing them in Florida. This is an ethnic issue. It might be different where you live but for the majority of us who live and experience life as a minority race, this is basic standard questions for when we are moving to a new city and state. We, as other races, feel more comfortable around our own race because it makes things less stressful and easier to adapt being in familiarity. If your coming from a state where your a majority race, I would say it's definitely hard to understand what others are going through and why they would like to move to a neighborhood or community with only their race. I'm from Florida and I know first-hand about that. But you gotta step outside and see things through their perspective. I wouldn't bag on any hawaiians or asians who were looking for asian specific communities in Florida to move to because over there, I'm a majority race. In this city I'm living in now, I'm the minority so now for over 5 years that I've lived here. So I see things alot different now and can sympathize with them and what they go through.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Black people like to be where there are other black people because of alot of things. Similar social issues, convenience to barber shops and hair salons for OUR type of hair, getting the hook-up about where to go to meet other black singles or clubs or being around black families and so on and so forth. I can definitely say the same for asian people moving to Texas wanting to live near or in asian communities. It's the same thing them in Florida. This is an ethnic issue. It might be different where you live but for the majority of us who live and experience life as a minority race, this is basic standard questions for when we are moving to a new city and state. We, as other races, feel more comfortable around our own race because it makes things less stressful and easier to adapt being in familiarity. If your coming from a state where your a majority race, I would say it's definitely hard to understand what others are going through and why they would like to move to a neighborhood or community with only their race. I'm from Florida and I know first-hand about that. But you gotta step outside and see things through their perspective. I wouldn't bag on any hawaiians or asians who were looking for asian specific communities in Florida to move to because over there, I'm a majority race. In this city I'm living in now, I'm the minority so now for over 5 years that I've lived here. So I see things alot different now and can sympathize with them and what they go through.
I get what you are saying and maybe for many parts of the nation this is a factor. What I and many others will let you know is that here in the LA metro we are color blind. Not that all people will see it that way. Let me explain.

Dating: People can date who they want and color is not an issue. the same with marriage. No one will blink and eye or look funny when they see a white girl or guy with a black girl or guy.

Housing: You have the right to rent or buy in any community and it will not be frowned upon. If you have the means to live in lets say Brentwood then no one will keep you out.

Majority Race: I guess you could say Hispanic for this part of the world, still all races have plenty of others living here in all parts of the metro area.

Hair care: Many places handle all kinds of hair because of the influx of differant types of hair. Still I understand this one as a valid argument. I will give you this one.

If you are looking to be around those that are of the same race, that is understandable. I get that. Still the point that I want to make is that we are not into segregation here as they are in many parts of the nation.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
You sound confused;very confused. I repeat, “Caribbean” is not a race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893
If you want to go even further, I'm not really black but carribean. I'm Haitian-american.
Where did I say you have ever been to Haiti?
Quote:
First of all, I've never been to Haiti
The rest of what you wrote is unnecessary drivel because I never suggested that “Haitian -American” is a race. I simply pointed out that most Haitians are black since you said you are not really black but Caribbean.

Last edited by pacific2; 04-02-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles