Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,257,212 times

Advertisements

Let me see if I understand this.

The tennets gave a 30 day notice. They moved out of the unit. You cleaned the unit and got it ready to rent. You subtracted the cost of that cleanup from their deposit and mailed them a check for the differance. Now they want to sue?

If they has wanted to stay they could have paid for additional days rent. At places that I rented we could give a 30 day notice and then decide to stay longer, pay the rent on the 1st and go on with our life. Then again that may depend on the rental aggrement and size of the complex. When we bought our home our 30 day notice was based on us getting into our home. We ended up paying for 10 additional days in rent. Now if a tennent is trying to get a free place for extra days that is not allowed.

Saying all that I am not following the reasoning. A deposit is not paid back till everything is settled anyway, meaning that the place has to be turned over so it can be rented again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:06 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,002,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
True, they could try and sue, but with the evidence I just presented, there isn't a court in the land that would rule against the landlord.
Sorry, but a statement on a check wouldn't go anywhere in court. Documenting the damage and required cleaning, and associated costs, is what would win the case.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 PM

8,486 posts, read 10,901,341 times
I should have been more specific above.
The signed check, along with the security deposit statement as to what was deducted from it, would accompany the signed check in a court hearing as evidence.
The check becomes a legal, binding document once written, signed, and cashed.
There is no way the court could rule, other than in favor of the landlord.
Bob.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,002,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I should have been more specific above.
The signed check, along with the security deposit statement as to what was deducted from it, would accompany the signed check in a court hearing as evidence.
The check becomes a legal, binding document once written, signed, and cashed.
There is no way the court could rule, other than in favor of the landlord.
Bob.
I don't even know what "legal binding document" means, it certainly isn't a contract if that's what you mean. All the judge cares about is if the charges deducted from the security deposit are reasonable. If you can demonstrate that you will win the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles