Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2007, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,624 times

Advertisements

Pasadena a nice area with million dollar homes is having serious gang problems.Anyone who is thinking of moving to LA should understand what this place is becoming.Unless you are a movie star with millions (most of the smart ones dont claim California as their residence to get out of taxes) you are really not able to live in a safe area.

After drop, gang violence flares up in Pasadena - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pasadena28jul28,0,2008657.story?coll=la-home-center - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 AM

332 posts, read 2,149,324 times
Pasadena is fine and very safe. The LA times article talks about shootings in areas north of the 134/210 and in Altadena, which have higher black and latino populations. Old town Pasadena is probably the safest place in LA for nightlife, and the residential areas around Caltech, as well as around the 110 freeway and bordering San Marino are some of the nicest, safest places to live in LA.

BTW, my family is worth much, much less than $1 million once you take away our house equity and we live in La Canada. no, you don't need to be filthy rich to live in a safe area.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
I'm not rich at all and I rent in a safe area in WLA. To make a blanket statement that only celebrities can live in a safe area in LA is asinine. Try selling your trolling elsewhere, cause we ain't buying it here!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:37 PM

184 posts, read 353,399 times
Currently renting in "safe/nice" areas of L.A is significantly cheaper than buying. I did hear about the recent gang violence in/near Pasadena. I think that as it is in other big cities there are hotbeds of crime in some areas but then a few miles away it can be a LOT different. In West L.A itself i haven't really witnessed gang activity (knock on wood) ...These gang members know where they can get away with stuff and they aren't going to go into certain areas. To make a blanket statement that L.A is overrun with gangmembers is not really fair.

On the other hand I always find it crazy that there is so much crime in areas where home values are relatively high..places that cost as much as nice houses in the exclusive areas of there cities in the U.S. For example Compton, often stated as one of the most dangerous areas in Southern Cali to live, hard to find a home under $350,000 there I would bet these days.

Although it is obviously not politically correct , I am pretty sure that rent control/subsidized housing is largely the cause of this. If L.A did away with rent control/sec 8, many of these people wouldn't have a choice but to move. But then it would also effect the people that help the economy by working in a place they can't afford at market rents, and would most likely ruin the local economy.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:50 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
On the other hand I always find it crazy that there is so much crime in areas where home values are relatively high..places that cost as much as nice houses in the exclusive areas of there cities in the U.S. For example Compton, often stated as one of the most dangerous areas in Southern Cali to live, hard to find a home under $350,000 there I would bet these days.
I did a recent search for homes for sale in Los Angeles. Very few homes appeared under $500,000. And those that did appear were tiny shot gun homes. My search didn't include compton but it did include areas that are considered high crime. Prices are high everywhere.

Search Pacoima and Panorma city. Homes are listed for $600,000 - $700,000.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:21 PM

97 posts, read 646,571 times
I dont really think pasadena is a bad area at all.The gangs are in one area of a large place.If a guy blows someone away in a gang dispute in the middle of Times Square I could not say all of NYC is a terrible unsafe place.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:24 PM

97 posts, read 646,571 times
I agree with you 100% on the high taxes.The income tax needs to be cut in half in order for us to compete with Nevada and Arizona.Also corporate taxes are outrageous.Financial institutions such as banks pay over 10% yearly rate not including all the Fed taxes.Banks and Finance institutions employee alot of people and those jobs are slowly moving to any state but here over the tax issue

Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Why did you post a smiley face next to the title? Are you some psychotic nutcase? LA's crime rate has dropped over 60% in the last year and a half.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Northwest Pasadena has been rough since the 50's. I lived in Pasadena and know it intimately. With the exception of the mentioned quadrant in NW Pasadena, it's a dream to live there. I lived in Old Pas and it's very safe. Just another muckraking news article. Remember, news is a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles