Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,535 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm interviewing with the company I currently work at for a position in Long Beach. I'm trying to scope everything out, and see whether or not I think it would really work for me. =)

First, I'd be working at the Long Beach airport, so I'd want to be able to get there fairly easily.

I'm a middle aged chubby white woman travelling alone. (But I've lived in some ghettos in my life, someone selling pot on the corner doesn't bother me, needing Kevlar to get to my car does.)

My budget for rent will likely be in the $900-1,200 range. I have a small dog I'd want to bring with me, (although I have a doctors note for him as an emotional support animal, not sure if the laws in CA are the same as UT.) I don't have much in the way of stuff (that I'd bother to move), and as I said, I'm alone, so I'm totally fine with a studio/one bedroom.

I tend to be a very laid back person, spend quite a bit of time at home, would like to be within a comfortable walk to the beach (both in distance and not needing Kevlar!) but that's only a desire, not a need. I've had enough roommate drama in my life that I'd really prefer to avoid them, but if that's the only way to get an affordable place that isn't terrifying, I'd do it.

My biggest concern is I just recently had a bankruptcy discharged, and I'm worried that means I won't be able to find places to rent. How stringent are people on credit requirements there?

I'm also worried about culture. I'm fairly introverted, don't do club scenes, (although I love karaoke), and really am not trying to "make it" in the entertainment industry. I'm the type of person that's fairly happy working my service job and hanging out with a good book in the sunshine. I don't ever want to buy a $600,000 house, I'm fine with permanently renting kitchy little places with charm. I don't need a pool in an apartment (that's what the ocean is for), couldn't care less about assorted amenities (although onsite laundry could be quite useful!), etc. I went to high school in the Bay Area, and spent some time stationed at 32nd Street in San Diego, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with California, but most of my LA experience has been either driving thru it, or hitting Disneyland/Knotts/Universal/assorted theme parks.

So, any thoughts? Am I going to hate it? Are there places to live in my price range that I'm safe alone? If they exist, can I get into them with a recently discharged bankruptcy?

Yeah, questions. Yay!

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,467 times
Los Angeles isn't all about the entertainment industry and there is more to it than that.

I think it would be possible to find something close to the beach within your price range in Long Beach, but I will be honest and say that I don't know LB that well, so I can't tell you what areas you would want to avoid.

As for bankruptcy... That may be tough, but I can't say. I know the place I am working on renting was just looking for evictions, but everyone is different. Perhaps try to find a place that is privately owned instead of owned by a giant company. Also, consider offering a higher amount for a security deposit if they seem hesitant/unwilling to rent to you.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
A couple of things that you need to know about Long Beach. The east side is nicer and more expensive than the west/downtown side. There are some ghetto neighborhoods, but, you can trust your eyes: if it looks terrible, it is terrible. If it looks okay, it is mostly okay. The west/downtown beaches are maybe not so good for swimming in: the breakwater from the port kills the waves, and without moving water, the water is a little less healthy than other beaches.

Another nearby, somewhat affordable, beach neighborhood is San Pedro.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,535 times
Thanks! =) I'm flying out this week for my interview, so I'll try and drive around a bit and see what looks good. As long as I can trust my eyes, I should be fine.

I'm mostly worried about the bankruptcy, TBH. =/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles