Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 40,982 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a reputable pet transport service? I'm moving from Boston to LA and need to be there by the 15th of August. I would like my cats to join me by September 1st when I will hopefully have an apartment. Thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,320,457 times
I'd use the airlines to make their trip the shortest. Don't use United. They are awful with pets. If you send them separately, they will require health certificates dated within the last 10 days, rabies shots and most carriers won't fly if air temp is over 85 during any portion of the flight. This is usually done by checking arrival and departure city forecasts for that day. Send them at night on a direct flight if possible. To book, you have to send them as cargo unless you're flying yourself, then (depending on the airline) you can book them as baggage. You can carry one on board with you if it's good on some airlines.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,170,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I'd use the airlines to make their trip the shortest. Don't use United. They are awful with pets. If you send them separately, they will require health certificates dated within the last 10 days, rabies shots and most carriers won't fly if air temp is over 85 during any portion of the flight. This is usually done by checking arrival and departure city forecasts for that day. Send them at night on a direct flight if possible. To book, you have to send them as cargo unless you're flying yourself, then (depending on the airline) you can book them as baggage. You can carry one on board with you if it's good on some airlines.
So funny. We willl be moving from L.A. to Boston the end of this month. I have four dogs but will be driving cross country with them, a kid and hubby in a Jeep. You could do this and crate them in the car or if you must fly, google flying with pets/airlines. Pet transport services are very expensive, but if that is the way you want to go, you could check with your vet for a reference.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
So funny. We willl be moving from L.A. to Boston the end of this month. I have four dogs but will be driving cross country with them, a kid and hubby in a Jeep. You could do this and crate them in the car or if you must fly, google flying with pets/airlines. Pet transport services are very expensive, but if that is the way you want to go, you could check with your vet for a reference.
I'm glad to hear you finally get to go back home. I know how homesick you've been. I know what it's like...it seemed like forever getting back home to L.A.

We took my dog Sadie (R.I.P.) on a cross country trip with us back in '03 right before we moved from Pasadena to Hawaii. This is an abandoned Methodist church in Texas. She wasn't fond of Arizona or Kansas but she enjoyed the trip with us:

Old 08-03-2007, 08:07 PM

32 posts, read 160,071 times
oh...what a cutie petutie doggie!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:58 AM

8 posts, read 40,982 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm looking into using a pet transport service recommended to me by a colleague. Now all I have to do is find an apartment that accepts cats. Think I can find one for under $1600 ($1700 tops!) in the Los Feliz, Silverlake, Echo Park or Pasadena areas?

Puffle, are you originally from Boston?

Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 PM

8 posts, read 55,576 times
Disco - I just finished up my search for an apartment and found some 1bedrooms that are just within your price range in Silverlake/Echo Park, but they're hard to come by - lots and lots of craigslist.com searches do help! (westsiderentals.com may also be of some use, but is not exactly the right area).

-VeloSol

Old 08-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discosupafly View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm looking into using a pet transport service recommended to me by a colleague. Now all I have to do is find an apartment that accepts cats. Think I can find one for under $1600 ($1700 tops!) in the Los Feliz, Silverlake, Echo Park or Pasadena areas?

Oh God yes. You can find a great apartment in any of these areas for that amount.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,376,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discosupafly View Post
Does anyone know of a reputable pet transport service? I'm moving from Boston to LA and need to be there by the 15th of August. I would like my cats to join me by September 1st when I will hopefully have an apartment. Thanks for the help in advance.
I've taken my animals all over the country and even into Australia. I use American Airlines when traveling Boston to Los Angeles. You want to get a non-stop flight. I try to get evening flights when the weather is cooler. You can also take the cats with you on board the plane. If they travel in the cargo, you can put two cats in the same carrier. American charge $80 when traveling with a passenger. You can get a pet transport company, if it makes you feel good, but you don't really need to. You can just schedule the flight on your own and have your friends bring the kitties to the airport. It's really very easy. The only time I hired a pet transport company was when I was moving to Australia, but that was very complicated.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:54 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,170,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I'm glad to hear you finally get to go back home. I know how homesick you've been. I know what it's like...it seemed like forever getting back home to L.A.

We took my dog Sadie (R.I.P.) on a cross country trip with us back in '03 right before we moved from Pasadena to Hawaii. This is an abandoned Methodist church in Texas. She wasn't fond of Arizona or Kansas but she enjoyed the trip with us:

Thanks. Actually, Los Angeles is my home since I was 5. Only spent a year in Ma. but fell in love with it. It was just time for a change. Hate the heat and love the cold. Weird for a Californian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles