Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times

Advertisements

I say go for it! If you don't like it, you can always relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 PM

LA in general can be overwhelming if one isn't used to the variety of cultures in the city, particular between Woodland Hills and NoHo. In very few places in the US, let alone the world, do you have such a melting pot of cultures. Persian, Armenian, Jewish, Russian, Hispanic, Black, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, all together in such a small area.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
LA in general can be overwhelming if one isn't used to the variety of cultures in the city, particular between Woodland Hills and NoHo. In very few places in the US, let alone the world, do you have such a melting pot of cultures. Persian, Armenian, Jewish, Russian, Hispanic, Black, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, all together in such a small area.
Having lived all along Ventura Blvd and all over the Valley most my life (Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Woodland Hills, Encino, Panorama City, Valley Village, Toluca Lake, NoHo), I can say that NoHo is likely the most diverse. Not referring to North Hollywood proper, but NoHo as in the arts district. Some people may gauge diversity based on driving through a community and just looking at the people walking on the streets. That is a completely false reading on a neighborhood.

You have to go into the shops, cafes, dance studios, parks, theaters, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, etc to get a true measure of an area's diversity. Being a mixed breed myself, I appreciate an area with diversity. There's less cliquey-ness based on race.

Miss Pip, you will enjoy NoHo. Let us know how you make out.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Huh? I wonder if I misread you or if you misunderstood me because i'm not quite sure why you're saying this. I AM use to diversity. I'm from London. This is why I want to move to NoHo Arts District. The part of Encino I lived in was not diverse to me at all, especially coming from London.

By the way, the list you just gave out of cultures hardly mentions any Europeans and no South Asians. Not so much of a melting pot.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
You have to go into the shops, cafes, dance studios, parks, theaters, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, etc to get a true measure of an area's diversity. Being a mixed breed myself, I appreciate an area with diversity. There's less cliquey-ness based on race.

Miss Pip, you will enjoy NoHo. Let us know how you make out.
So true! I always noticed that! All my European friends that come out here to visit say the same thing too.

and thanks! I will do

Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I say go for it! If you don't like it, you can always relocate.
Very true. There's no rules.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 AM

Last night I was hanging out in Noho Arts District. I checked out Skinny Lounge and The Federal and it was really cool. Nice people, great music, good bands played. That's the kinda local stuff I like to have, especially for when friends come out to visit. I'm definitely moving there.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Awesome. Are you moving to a newer, larger complex or a smaller one?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Awesome. Are you moving to a newer, larger complex or a smaller one?
Definitely newer. I don't know about larger or smaller complex yet. Can't wait to get out of Encino. I went from loving it to being irritated by it but it's only because it lacks diversity.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
First, congratulations on being able to work from home.

But gotta ask, if you'd mind explaining your reference to Encino as the Middle East.. Disclaimer.. I am not a member of the thought police..

NoHo, I know very well. I like it; it ain't yet full grown but they've got high hopes and good instincts.
(Persian, Russian, Jewish, i.e. Encino).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles