Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,934,002 times

Advertisements

Hey

My job now allows me to work from home so I don't have to worry about commuting everyday. I want to move to North Hollywood, anywhere south of Burbank Blvd, the Arts District. I feel that NoHo is one of the most diverse part of the Valley. I'm a bit bored of Encino and I feel it's time to leave the Middle East. I need diversity in my life.

I wanted to know if there's anything I should be aware of living in the Arts District? What's it like near NoHo park after dark?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,901,118 times
NoHo Arts District is pretty cool. There isn't a whole ton of stuff to do, but it's there. I prefer Ventura Blvd. nightlife to NoHo. The newer buildings in NoHo (i.e. the nice ones) are pretty expensive and I guarantee you are paying less in Encino. You could also take the subway into Hollywood from NoHo.

The rest of North Hollywood is pretty sketchy and a lot of it is ghetto, no way around that. North Hollywood is also not very diverse. The neighborhood is predominantly Mexican with the Arts District being a mix, but probably more white ethnic groups (Persian, Russian, Jewish, i.e. Encino).

Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
NoHo Arts District is pretty cool. There isn't a whole ton of stuff to do, but it's there. I prefer Ventura Blvd. nightlife to NoHo. The newer buildings in NoHo (i.e. the nice ones) are pretty expensive and I guarantee you are paying less in Encino. You could also take the subway into Hollywood from NoHo.

The rest of North Hollywood is pretty sketchy and a lot of it is ghetto, no way around that. North Hollywood is also not very diverse. The neighborhood is predominantly Mexican with the Arts District being a mix, but probably more white ethnic groups (Persian, Russian, Jewish, i.e. Encino).
That's why I want to stay in the Arts District. I find that I rarely hangout in the neighbourhoods I live in but it's nice to know what's on my doorstep. Plus it seems that the area is growing a lot too.

I've seen some really nice apartments with balconies and wooden flooring in the arts area of $1050 to $1200 which i'm completely fine with.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 PM

76 posts, read 235,616 times
The previous poster doesn't know what they're talking about. NoHo is probably one of the most diverse places you'll live. I actually live here in the Arts district and every neighbor of mine is a different race. Black, White, Thai, Filipino, Indian, Vietnamese, Persian and that's just on my floor. That's one of the main reasons I like it here. Oh and if you couldn't tell from my name, also French.

Besides that, there's plenty to do here, especially nightlife. Lots of great restaurants (a LOT of Thai if you're into that), cafes, bars, pool, park, I could keep going. If you haven't done so already, go here: Your Monday Guide to NoHo/Toluca Lake - North Hollywood-Toluca Lake, CA Patch
It gives lots of good ideas on things to do here. It changes everyday, so check back.

To answer your other question, the area near the park is quite safe. South of Magnolia, you'll find older apartments (with charm) and they'll be more affordable than the new construction.

Last edited by Jean Jeunet; 04-18-2011 at 10:09 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 PM

68 posts, read 168,457 times
Miss Pip, you will absolutely get that diversity-rich lifestyle you're seeking in NoHo, especially the arts district. I have friends who live there and when I visit I see every walk of life; it's comical really. You see so many different races, I expect everyone to start breaking out to the song "We are the world, we are the children."

It's a nice little blend of everything. You have different cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientation, you name it. People there seem to have a live and let live attitude. I'm not sure about NoHo after dark, but the general rule anywhere in LA is to hide your stuff if you plan to leave it in your car. That's the easiest way to get something stolen.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Jeunet View Post
The previous poster doesn't know what they're talking about. NoHo is probably one of the most diverse places you'll live. I actually live here in the Arts district and every neighbor of mine is a different race. Black, White, Thai, Filipino, Indian, Vietnamese, Persian and that's just on my floor. That's one of the main reasons I like it here. Oh and if you couldn't tell from my name, also French....
I agree with you. I've been going there every weekend and it's definitely diverse with a lot going on.

Thanks for the info and for answering my question about the park. I plan to play tennis there every Saturday. I know it gets crowded but I'll just get there extra early.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,394,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Hey

My job now allows me to work from home so I don't have to worry about commuting everyday. I want to move to North Hollywood, anywhere south of Burbank Blvd, the Arts District. I feel that NoHo is one of the most diverse part of the Valley. I'm a bit bored of Encino and I feel it's time to leave the Middle East. I need diversity in my life.

I wanted to know if there's anything I should be aware of living in the Arts District? What's it like near NoHo park after dark?

Thanks
First, congratulations on being able to work from home.

But gotta ask, if you'd mind explaining your reference to Encino as the Middle East.. Disclaimer.. I am not a member of the thought police..

NoHo, I know very well. I like it; it ain't yet full grown but they've got high hopes and good instincts.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,901,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Jeunet View Post
The previous poster doesn't know what they're talking about. NoHo is probably one of the most diverse places you'll live. I actually live here in the Arts district and every neighbor of mine is a different race. Black, White, Thai, Filipino, Indian, Vietnamese, Persian and that's just on my floor. That's one of the main reasons I like it here. Oh and if you couldn't tell from my name, also French.

Besides that, there's plenty to do here, especially nightlife. Lots of great restaurants (a LOT of Thai if you're into that), cafes, bars, pool, park, I could keep going. If you haven't done so already, go here: Your Monday Guide to NoHo/Toluca Lake - North Hollywood-Toluca Lake, CA Patch
It gives lots of good ideas on things to do here. It changes everyday, so check back.

To answer your other question, the area near the park is quite safe. South of Magnolia, you'll find older apartments (with charm) and they'll be more affordable than the new construction.
Go look at the Noho demographics. North Hollywood is almost 60% Hispanic. That's well over a majority. That's the neighborhood in it's entirety. I agree the Arts District is more diverse as I stated in my post.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
First, congratulations on being able to work from home.

But gotta ask, if you'd mind explaining your reference to Encino as the Middle East...
Thanks. I live around Lindsey and Ventura Blvd...

Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Go look at the Noho demographics. North Hollywood is almost 60% Hispanic. That's well over a majority. That's the neighborhood in it's entirety. I agree the Arts District is more diverse as I stated in my post.
I appreciate the additional info but I'm only interested in The Arts District hence post title. I've seen the rest of North Hollywood and I don't care for it, which is why I'm not asking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles