Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,634 times

Advertisements

Some questions

1. How does LA large immigrant population affect housing cost
2. If the cost of living is so high in LA why is LA the number one
destination for Mexican immigrants
3.If immigrant wages are lower than non immigrant should not those
savings be passed along to the consumers in LA
4. Reason says most immigrants are too poor to afford expensive housing.
So who are the buyers.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
My responses in purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Some questions

Price is a funciton of supply and demand. Immigrants increase demand. Increased demand affects price

a.) close to the border. the LA metro is a huge source of employment only 100 miles north. A lot of demand for their services.
b.) lots of employment opportunities
c.) LA has a historical Latino culture
d.) Year round opportunities for outdoor work

there are probably more reasons but those are the first I could think of in 30 seconds

They are. If an American did the work your restaurant meal, car wash, and landscaping service prices would increase.

So who are the buyers.

This question has been asked many times on the California and sub forums. Consider using the search tool.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Some questions

So who are the buyers.
Just so you'll factor in another confirmation, my P.O.V. from five decades of living in L.A.:

1. Legal immigrants: does not affect at all. People are people like everywhere else. L.A. is an urban draw, 40% of our population was not born in this country, that's the new reality. However, illegal immigrants cause property values to decline, because of antipathy of illegals towards American values and American citizens, and their overall lawlessness that correlates to their demographic (they broke a biggie to get here, and feel they can continue to get away with what they wish to.)

Anyone who lives side by side with them (as do I) can confirm that the myth of illegals hiding in the shadows is just that, a myth. Illegal populations are the largest incubators of our wretched gang problems currently. Maratrucha Salvadora outstrip the traditional Crips in viciousness, influence and widespread membership. Illegals can be insistant on replicating the conditions they moved from, be it debris-strewn dwellings, vandalizing their neighbors, or noise pollution in the extreme (sports stadium-worthy sound systems blasting 24/7.) They are xenophobic towards anyone not from their "home country," and frequently knee-jerk misogynistic. Personal observations these, not abstractions.

2. L.A. is a so-called "sanctuary" city, wherein police enforcement by law are prohibited from even asking legal status of apprehended criminal suspects. This means illegals feel safe from ICE here. An example: I have many legal foreign national neighbors who unfortunately house successive waves of illegal relatives, year after year (some of them starting up car theft rings. Police actually questioned me about these neighbors, hence my knowledge of who was legal in that household and who was not.) It all adds up. By the by, the stat for illegals is 300 enter L.A. daily.

3. How that actually works is that illegals are paid cash under the table, which depresses wages overall for everyone else. American citizens, both born and naturalized, end up with less earned income, less disposable income, and lesser quality of life in an already expensive city.

4. See example in #2. One legal immigrant is figurehead for buying property, funding of which is culled from larger extended family which then moves here illegally. One small 2-bedroom home on my block routinely has about 14 people living there revolving around the breadwinner, based upon who's recently arrived in the country. A City-data poster here introduced me to the apt term "clown house."

Overall, these can explain why people, any age, are leaving L.A. I'm certainly planning to.

Last edited by fastfilm; 01-20-2008 at 08:56 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,634 times
Thanks for your non-politically correct response.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Just so you'll factor in another confirmation, my P.O.V. from five decades of living in L.A.:

1. Legal immigrants: does not affect at all. People are people like everywhere else. L.A. is an urban draw, 40% of our population was not born in this country, that's the new reality. However, illegal immigrants cause property values to decline, because of antipathy of illegals towards American values and American citizens, and their overall lawlessness that correlates to their demographic (they broke a biggie to get here, and feel they can continue to get away with what they wish to.)

Anyone who lives side by side with them (as do I) can confirm that the myth of illegals hiding in the shadows is just that, a myth. Illegal populations are the largest incubators of our wretched gang problems currently. Maratrucha Salvadora outstrip the traditional Crips in viciousness, influence and widespread membership. Illegals can be insistant on replicating the conditions they moved from, be it debris-strewn dwellings, vandalizing their neighbors, or noise pollution in the extreme (sports stadium-worthy sound systems blasting 24/7.) They are xenophobic towards anyone not from their "home country," and frequently knee-jerk misogynistic. Personal observations these, not abstractions.

2. L.A. is a so-called "sanctuary" city, wherein police enforcement by law are prohibited from even asking legal status of apprehended criminal suspects. This means illegals feel safe from ICE here. An example: I have many legal foreign national neighbors who unfortunately house successive waves of illegal relatives, year after year (some of them starting up car theft rings. Police actually questioned me about these neighbors, hence my knowledge of who was legal in that household and who was not.) It all adds up. By the by, the stat for illegals is 300 enter L.A. daily.

3. How that actually works is that illegals are paid cash under the table, which depresses wages overall for everyone else. American citizens, both born and naturalized, end up with less earned income, less disposable income, and lesser quality of life in an already expensive city.

4. See example in #2. One legal immigrant is figurehead for buying property, funding of which is culled from larger extended family which then moves here illegally. One small 2-bedroom home on my block routinely has about 14 people living there revolving around the breadwinner, based upon who's recently arrived in the country. A City-data poster here introduced me to the apt term "clown house."

Overall, these can explain why people, any age, are leaving L.A. I'm certainly planning to.
Wow, I guess I need to be employed quick! You want to move out of Los Angeles? I was planning on moving there, to a safer haven.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:39 PM

232 posts, read 735,826 times
When I researched the move out there I found out a few things: if you don't have a graduate degree, forget it. Your bachelors and masters degrees are the new version of a high school diploma. Instead of 'don't drop out of high school' now they need to have PSAs that say 'don't quit your master's program unless you want to be a team leader for life at WalMart'. Back in 1996, I would have advised you to have about $3000 socked away to cushion your move. In 2008 I would say you need about $10,000. With the economy being the way it is, people being unable to go back to finish their degrees, etc...we are seeing an influx of Californians here in Duluth (Minnesota) even. If nothing else, we are right next to the largest supply of fresh water in the world (Lake Superior) which will undoubtedly become the next oil. It's safe here, there's diversity here (but no gay people which sucks for me), there are lots of health care jobs, your kids can go to public schools without fear, all in all, not a bad place. Yea, it gets cold, but whatever...I can deal with it.

I think the internet has made a lot of us think twice about our journeys to whatever city we planned to run off to, especially when we read so many comments that complain about the same things that we are trying to escape in our own city (lack of jobs, no dating possibilities, jerks, you name it). Maybe that's a good thing, but in a way it kind of takes the wind out of you because you realize that there is no magic place where everything is perfect (we all have that illusion about someplace).

Old 01-21-2008, 03:41 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
I agree with fastfilm...I can't wait to move.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Look at the social scene in south Arizona, and you'll get a picture of beer drinking trashers. I know some people from there, and they say it's a pit.

The young people that are leaving are the ones that can't keep their finances together.
Good riddance! I see way too many people trying to live their "rock and roll" fantasy, but they either don't have a job, or they're working tables... Nothing is wrong with being unemployed or waiting tables, but there IS a problem when you dress like you're a 7 figure diva, but you roll in less than 30k/yr. Good luck to them in AZ!

Good finances and budgeting FOR THE WIN!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
30-40K won't get you far in L.A.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:22 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Look at the social scene in south Arizona, and you'll get a picture of beer drinking trashers. I know some people from there, and they say it's a pit.

The young people that are leaving are the ones that can't keep their finances together.
Good riddance! I see way too many people trying to live their "rock and roll" fantasy, but they either don't have a job, or they're working tables... Nothing is wrong with being unemployed or waiting tables, but there IS a problem when you dress like you're a 7 figure diva, but you roll in less than 30k/yr. Good luck to them in AZ!

Good finances and budgeting FOR THE WIN!!!

That's like a slap in the face to me. It takes more than that to hurt my feelings though.
25 years old...makes 30k. Lives at home because living alone for 1200/mo is not smart. Living in the ghetto with immigrants will never happen.

I'm excellent with my finances and I am such a penny pincher and budgter that everyone around rolls their lil eyes.

Good finances and budgeting FOR THE WIN....outside of Cali someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles