U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM

421 posts, read 705,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB
It seems most of the people near the bottom simply lack the class, talent, or style to make it on their own so they have to think of everyone else as something they can use to get a leg up. ...and means it's tough to make friends in L.A. Probably one of the toughest cities in the U.S. for that, really.
IMO, I dont think class or style has anything to with how soon, people reaching their potential.
Those things are what people utilize to polish the finshed 'product'. L.A. is like someone said earlier, "a non-city", a facility, in the sense that while growing up there, it seemed to me more like a place where anbitious goal oriented people came to fulfill big dreams of fortune and fame. And this adds to the diversity, which should make it easy to make friends, if you dont compare the evironment to somehere else. LA. natives are not "howdy neighbor" on a one to one level. Dont expect that on the street or in Food for Less. But they are approachable and recognize a kinship on the civic level. If you are outgoing and friendly, you will make friends there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,941 times
i like everything about los angeles..its weather its location...

Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 AM

69 posts, read 166,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Explain how being non-white makes you irrelevant in the rural deep south. I think that's likely an exaggeration. Louisville is a bastion of crunchy granola that rivals the Bay Area.

Are you white do you or have you lived in the south for a extended period of time? It would take more than this space to explain things about the south. Louisville HAHA! rivaling the bay area, that's has to be seen as a difficult reach. You must be trying to make us giggle. Okay I just did. Thanks for he laugh.

Seriously. I am from Alabama and have lived throughout the south when I served in the military. I've lived in KY for about 10 years and I have previously lived in CA for about 20 years. I think I can speak for the south.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,125,137 times
I like that Los Angeles in on the west coast and it has a lot of legends.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 AM

23 posts, read 30,836 times
Something about it is just amazing.
Some New Yorkers and Chicagoans say it isn't a "real city" but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Infact, I like the fact that it is so unique. I don't know anything else quite like Los Angeles.

I know it's spread out, but in a way that can be a positive.
Because anywhere you go, there will usually be something interesting to see or do nearby.

I know it's all very fantasy. A lot of people dream of making it big in LA.
And not everyone does, obviously. But despite that, the feeling is amazing.
Like mentioned previously, the people have a lot of ambition.
People take the risk and go for it there and that's why it's such a bustling place.

There are downsides, but it's what you make of it.
The weather is pretty fantastic! I love the sunshine.
I actually love the look of downtown!
The Sunset Strip, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Hollywood.
The mountains in the valley! Universal Studios.
The beaches. And that it's close to Orange County which is great!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 PM

14 posts, read 38,228 times
What I love about LA is the diversity. Every city has it's different feel. I mean Topanga? Seriously?!? That is in LA? And what about Venice? Malibu? West Hollywood? They are all so different from the other. That is what is so awesome about L.A. Here's my three favs: Everything L.A.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,059,651 times
I am from Chicago and currently live in LA and never plan to leave. This city is much larger (land wise), diverse (demographics, neighborhoods, housing choices), and overall better than Chicago and NYC. I am never leaving.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:56 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,042,155 times
The sun/weather, ocean, mountains, lack of mosquitoes, friendly people, great food, multi-cultural, ALWAYS something fun to do, the music, the driving (as compared to Boston, heh), the excitement of living somewhere that people go to to fulfill their dreams.

I love how things are... possible here. I've read on other threads "Just do what you do where you are now. You don't need to come to LA," (writing, acting, music, ec...) and that's really not true. Since we (husband, baby, & I) moved back here in November to pursue our creative interests, all kinds of amazing creative things have happened to us. Stuff that NEVER would have happened in Boston (where I'm from) or Chicago (where my husband's from).

Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,541,655 times
These are a few things of what I love about L.A.

1) Diversity of People,Communities and Culture from all over the World.

2) It's an Open Minded City and also open to New Ideas.

3) Varied Weather without the Humidity.

4) Variety of Entertainment,Shopping,Dining,Attractions for all types of People and Ages.

5) You got the Beaches,Mountains,Hills,Valleys,Deserts all within the same County,so it's great for Outdoor Activities.

6) Close proximity to San Diego,Las Vegas and Mexico and we have wonderful coastal communities nearby too.

7) You can escape to secluded areas nearby for relaxation and not realize your in a city with millions of people.

And it's also the only city that can be referred to by it's abbreviation (L.A) and still sound cool...Even the international airport L.A X sounds cool too

Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,433,017 times
I can't wait to move to LA. I am now in NYC, and I feel NYC is very isolating. It's strange i know to hear that, it's probably the most populated city in the country, but it's amazing how you can walk down the street here and feel completely alone.

The weather in LA alone is enough to make me happy. The humidity here in the northeast is disgusting. We hardly get to enjoy any nice weather here because once the winter ends, we pretty much go right into hot, humid summers. Even though I like the warm weather, I don't find that enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles