Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM

420 posts, read 877,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
Wow I would really disagree with that. There millions of people in Los Angeles and so many with different lifestyles and backgrounds many of which you can find some sort of connection with. There are Jews, Catholics, Blacks, Samoans, Japanese, Armenian everyone is represented there in L.A.. You can find someone who shares the same likes and dislikes so much easier than any other major city not named New York or Chicago.

I must say people are very introverted in Los Angeles its a city of little worlds. Where a place like New York is very extroverted and there are no barriers or boundaries you share everything in New York with your fellow citizen including space.
Yes I didagree too. It might seem hard if you are used to having people just approach you to make friends. Native L.A. folks are not anti-social. They just mind their own business, maybe a litttle too much, until you appraoch them.
Quote:
My wife loves CA but doesn't like LA. All my memories of that city are filled with sunny skies, sun-kissed faces, warm breezy nights, tacos, laid back vibes and sandy shores. Traffic, late night dining with laughing friends, knowing every street name, LA borough pride (HA!), celebrity sightings, tolerance, acceptance, optimism, Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Pinks, and No accents LMAO!!
And let me add how easy it is to navigate, In and Out, Tommy's Hamburgers, The Garment District, Santa Monica Pier...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,244 times
A lot!! I'll be honest and say that it wasn't always that way. When I first got out here, I didn't know what to make of it. I kept looking for the typical city atmosphere that you find back east. It took my leaving L.A. for a few months to appreciate it for what it is. I love the vast expanse of it now, I love that it is a kind of non-city. I love the feeling that we are living on the edge of the world; the only thing I don't like is the lack of rain for half the year, the heat in the summer time..

Old 04-19-2011, 02:36 PM

126 posts, read 327,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I really like Santa Monica, Venice to me just seems ghetto for a beach area. Maybe I haven't been there enough, I don't know, but I wasn't impressed...

I definitely agree with you though in that there is something about being in Los Angeles where everything seems possible, at least at first, and I like the sense of ambition but I think most people aren't classy about it unfortunately. I always have had my eyes at the top and know where I want to be and what my goals are, but I would never use other people to get there. It's just not my style nor do I need to do that. It seems most of the people near the bottom simply lack the class, talent, or style to make it on their own so they have to think of everyone else as something they can use to get a leg up. It's an attitude that perhaps goes along with the attitude I like (which is ambition), unfortunately, and means it's tough to make friends in L.A. Probably one of the toughest cities in the U.S. for that, really.
Obviously you have never lived in Nashville which is where I live now and happen to be a native of. We are actually relocating to L.A and can't wait. We love it. My husband and I are amazed at the vast difference in the people when we visit. We love the laid back, open vibe vs the " Nashville" vibe. We have a pretty good circle of friends here but I would not want to be a newcomer to Nashville. Making friends can be brutal.

The weather and the lack of diversity for us is a problem especially because we are extremely open minded and do not want to raise our kids this way. Nashville is a very small town.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM

69 posts, read 199,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
The weather and the lack of diversity for us is a problem especially because we are extremely open minded and do not want to raise our kids this way. Nashville is a very small town.

Amen!!! My goodness I would hate to raise my kids here in KY. Our child would be of a mixed race. My goodness people in my part of KY who are non-white are 2nd rate citizens. It doesn't matter who your parents are or how much money you make you will never be considered relevant if you are not white.

I was raised in CA and my classes in grade school were filled with many kids of different colors and backgrounds. I grew up knowing a bit of Spanish, I knew when Hanukkah was, we celebrated black history month, we studied the Armenian genocide, we knew the difference between Vietnamese and Japanese. We recognized Chinese New Year. We were just better informed and culturally aware.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Amen!!! My goodness I would hate to raise my kids here in KY. Our child would be of a mixed race. My goodness people in my part of KY who are non-white are 2nd rate citizens. It doesn't matter who your parents are or how much money you make you will never be considered relevant if you are not white.

I was raised in CA and my classes in grade school were filled with many kids of different colors and backgrounds. I grew up knowing a bit of Spanish, I knew when Hanukkah was, we celebrated black history month, we studied the Armenian genocide, we knew the difference between Vietnamese and Japanese. We recognized Chinese New Year. We were just better informed and culturally aware.
Explain how being non-white makes you irrelevant in the rural deep south. I think that's likely an exaggeration. Louisville is a bastion of crunchy granola that rivals the Bay Area.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM

126 posts, read 327,018 times
I want to clarify my position on diversity.We do live in a neighborhood that for the most part is very tolerant of different lifestyles, backgrounds, races etc. but has become so gentrified over the years that it is starting to lack any uniqueness. Because this is a smaller city it is hard to move around much. Nashville is the south and with this comes " the bible belt " and I don't even want to open that can of worms because to each his own. I just feel for us..we need to move on to a place where we can have different experiences. Plus we really have no choice due to work circumstances.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Santa Monica
Marina Del Rey
Century City
Beverly Hills
Hollywood

The Hollywood Bowl in the summer! Even if the parking is a mess. Take the shuttle.

In n out burger
Various celebrity sightings
SM beach

I like how pet friendly it is.

The major negatives...the schools, the infrastructure (the pasadena freeway, lol), the smog, air quality.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
When I first got out here, I didn't know what to make of it. I kept looking for the typical city atmosphere that you find back east.
A common mistake made by many transplants. Some never overcome it, you did. Good on ya.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:18 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Wow I would really disagree with that. Take it from someone that has been in and out Los Angleles do to my military career. Each time I was able to return I had to relocate to different part of the city and reconnect. Each time I returned I was able meet new friends. There millions of people in Los Angeles and so many with different lifestyles and backgrounds many of which you can find some sort of connection with. There are people are in to country music and people who around who in to gangsta rap. People who gay and straight. Jews, Catholics, Blacks, Samoans, Japanese, Armenian everyone is represented there in L.A.. You can find someone who shares the same likes and dislikes so much easier than any other major city not named New York or Chicago.

I must say people are very introverted in Los Angeles its a city of little worlds. Where a place like New York is very extroverted and there are no barriers or boundaries you share everything in New York with your fellow citizen including space.
Perhaps that is it, I don't know, and this is a positive thread about Los Angeles and I don't want to be negative in here. But I will say I personally think it's a pretty isolating city and that making friends here is borderline impossible. I've spent 4 years here and in that time, I've become much closer friends with one of my PORTLAND friends, because of the time I spend back there, and closer friends with another guy in Portland who works for my dad, we hang out all of the time. So I've strengthened two friendships, but neither is even close to the city of Los Angeles Down here, I had one friend date my sister behind my back, that wasn't highly appreciated. Another is a good enough guy, he moved back home. Two more I never really had a chance to be friends with much because they moved back home way far away. That's L.A. really.

I've also noticed most people have no interest in being friends, they have their own social circles, often from back home, like a group of people who move here from North Carolina or wherever else, and they stick together. When I came here, I actually had 2 close friends in Los Angeles, one was my best friend from high school and we were very good friends still in college (but it deteriorated a bit), the other was a good friend from high school and college who hung out in our group all of the time. I don't speak to or hang out with either of them anymore. My previous best friend I haven't hung out with here in more than a year. Not really sure what happened, sometimes I wonder if it's jealousy, other times I wonder if it's something I don't even know. So if anything I've lost L.A. friends and haven't ever gained any here.

You sometimes pay a very high price for career success. You make sacrifices that other people won't make, you work when other people are partying, and if you are lucky enough to have some success, you may find people you trusted and were friendly with suddenly are either trying to use you for something or no longer want to speak to you. Especially here, in the film industry, because everyone thinks they're better than whoever is doing well. It's far easier to say, "Pshh, that guy doesn't deserve any success, I was directing award-winning shorts when he wasn't even in the business!"

Who knows, maybe Long Beach will be different, I just looked Tuesday and am putting in a cash offer for a nice two bedroom condo Wednesday! Not sure if I'll get it but I'll keep looking if not. Maybe at a beach community you get more laid back people, I'm not sure.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post
Im probably quite a bit older and slower than you. But I totally understand how you feel. I still love all that baout L.A. too. I guess as I got older I lost patience with all the crowding and traffic because when I was in my 20's during the early 80's, it wasnt that way. It was still a huge city. But travel times like you describe, from South OC to say my apt. then, near Pico and Van Ness wouldve only taken me 45-50 mins at maybe 55-65 mph. But you can never beat L.A. for fun, excitment or convenience!
I'm not that young, in my thirties.. Early thirties. I just belong in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles