U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,973 times

Advertisements

It seems that earth quakes are happening more in South and Northern California is losing its popularity
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 AM

7,760 posts, read 1,733,108 times
I have lived in S. California my whole life. Earthquakes rarely even enter my mind. We have the BIG ones every 20 years or so, the others are small and don't even interrupt your day. Every region has some natural disaster to worry about, and most occur much more often! The benefits of living here definitely outweigh the possibility of an earthquake.

There are tons of smaller quakes, most go unfelt. And if you do feel it, its over in 15 seconds. Like OutofSoCal said, there is no advance notice, so you dont sit in your house worrying about it, or scurry around to prepare. All you have to do is make yourself an earthquake kit, keep it in an easy to access location and then go on with life

Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 AM

18,436 posts, read 16,295,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
Speaking of which... I was born & raised here in the midwest & grew up hearing my momma talk about those stupid people in California who were all going to die one day when the "big on hit" & that if she was smart & had the money she'd buy up all the land East of California because it would eventually be oceanfront property.

lol

She was probably joking when she said that. The coastline is not going to change a whole lot. For one thing, 86% of the California coastline is rising. For another, the San Andreas fault is a strike-slip type- lateral movement- not up and down.

Quote:
I never ever ever considered moving to California because of those ridiculous stories & the earthquakes. Question is, how much does the realities of earthquakes really affect all of you in Cali? My momma may be turning in her grave knowing how badly I am fighting for this move to LA... lol

(Love you momma)
Overall, it is blown out of proportion. Earthquakes above 6.0 and even above 5.0 are relatively rare. Even in large quakes, like the mag. 6.7 1994 Northridge quake, casualties were quite low (about 60). And that was a moderate-sized quake directly under a heavily populated area.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 AM

Location: East Coast Personality. West Coast Flaire. Planted in Minneapolis / “MN Niceland"
1,164 posts, read 1,590,550 times
Trust me, FLEET, she wasn't joking!!! Sure it is exaggerated but when drilled in you from your earliest years, often, it affects your decision making. I clearly wouldn't NOT move there because CALI was going to fall in the ocean if I was consciously thinking it. Anyhow, moms doesn't have a thing to say about it - if someone will rent to me - I AM THERE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
She was probably joking when she said that. The coastline is not going to change a whole lot. For one thing, 86% of the California coastline is rising. For another, the San Andreas fault is a strike-slip type- lateral movement- not up and down.

Overall, it is blown out of proportion. Earthquakes above 6.0 and even above 5.0 are relatively rare. Even in large quakes, like the mag. 6.7 1994 Northridge quake, casualties were quite low (about 60). And that was a moderate-sized quake directly under a heavily populated area.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:08 AM

18,436 posts, read 16,295,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
Trust me, FLEET, she wasn't joking!!! Sure it is exaggerated but when drilled in you from your earliest years, often, it affects your decision making. I clearly wouldn't NOT move there because CALI was going to fall in the ocean if I was consciously thinking it. Anyhow, moms doesn't have a thing to say about it - if someone will rent to me - I AM THERE!!!
What I would have done is check out a few library books on earthquakes and read up on it.
Then you could have separated fact from fiction.

Think of it this way: the ocean off California is less than a mile deep and the crust of California is 10+ miles thick!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:20 AM

Location: East Coast Personality. West Coast Flaire. Planted in Minneapolis / “MN Niceland"
1,164 posts, read 1,590,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What I would have done is check out a few library books on earthquakes and read up on it.
Then you could have separated fact from fiction.

Think of it this way: the ocean off California is less than a mile deep and the crust of California is 10+ miles thick!
My momma didn't operate like that. She knew what she knew even when what she knew was wrong - because my momma was never wrong. Pearls before swine keeps coming to mind. I always knew that even if there was some grain of truth behind her fears - she had a way of taking mole hills & turning them into mountains. Sharing here was just a funny way to say, hey momma, I'm still doing it "my way"... lol

Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 AM

19,144 posts, read 13,976,135 times
"K Sera Sera," whatever will be will be!! That's my personal opinion regarding earthquakes.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 08-31-2007 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

723 posts, read 2,191,654 times
I can't find a 3-point-anything on that map. It's severity was reduced to a 1.7 or 1.8 depending on which USGS site you use...

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,045 times
yeah, felt it in Poway!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,579,412 times
yep felt like a long 3.5 to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles