U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 AM

68 posts, read 91,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
I remember walking along Broadway 20 years ago, and I noticed how it was girmier and looked like parts of lower Broadway in NYC. But Broadway is a cool street in LA. It is overlooked and it has a lot of character. Venice is a bit grungy but that is part of its allure. LA's character is a lot about its residential streets and the vegetation. The sorriest neighborhoods are those without trees like parts of East LA, etc... But at least for the greater part, the architectural diversity, the plant variety even on modest streets is what sets it apart IMHO.
I agree. I love Broadway in DTLA. It feels like a time portal, reminiscent of NYC in the 70s.

And yes, the mixture of all kinds of vegetation, as well as all kinds of architecture, definitely add to LA's variety and uniqueness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 AM

15 posts, read 21,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
I agree. I love Broadway in DTLA. It feels like a time portal, reminiscent of NYC in the 70s.

And yes, the mixture of all kinds of vegetation, as well as all kinds of architecture, definitely add to LA's variety and uniqueness.
I think it's fair to say NYC hit bottom at some point in the 1970's or early 1980's.

It is a shame Broadway in downtown LA has been so neglected (or under utilized) for so many years; HOWEVER, that is changing.

Spring Street (one block east of Broadway) has been completely transformed in the last 5 to 10 years. That is starting to spillover to Broadway with several high profile projects completed or in the works.

Give it another 5 years or so and Broadway will have less grime and more shine.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 PM

97 posts, read 195,951 times
No Matter what you say....Los Angeles is one of my approved cities and I would love to move there. Griffith Park! Staples Center! Grove Mall! O my soul! Those were very attractive, and this city has motivated me to learn more SPANISH! HAH!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM

13 posts, read 18,936 times
Yeah, L.A. is a high-crime area. It's got a lot of Blacks and Hispanics in the city; did you know that it's only 9% ******? It's true! I'm leaving...for Idaho or Utah, next year, as soon as I graduate from college. You know--"white people-ville"! All these foreigners and other people who either can't speak English or who hang out on the street corner, begging for drug money! I can't take it anymore! No wonder everyone and their brother is leaving California!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:51 PM

29,008 posts, read 19,442,194 times
Plenty of crime in Salt Lake City too - I don't know about Idaho, but I am sure it has problems too. Just don't have too great of expectations - maybe you move to UT or ID and wish in a few years that you hadn't.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 PM

20,984 posts, read 24,819,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gould View Post
Yeah, L.A. is a high-crime area. It's got a lot of Blacks and Hispanics in the city; did you know that it's only 9% ******? It's true! I'm leaving...for Idaho or Utah, next year, as soon as I graduate from college. You know--"white people-ville"! All these foreigners and other people who either can't speak English or who hang out on the street corner, begging for drug money! I can't take it anymore! No wonder everyone and their brother is leaving California!
You don't have to leave California to get away from people who can't speak English or hang out on the street corner, begging for drug money. You can just live in one of the nicer cities in California.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:03 PM

16,584 posts, read 30,907,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gould View Post
Yeah, L.A. is a high-crime area.
But the subject of the topic is grime.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 PM

215 posts, read 382,412 times
Actually Los Angeles isn't very high crime for its size. It used to be, and that reputation has never left. Look it up if you don't believe me, Los Angeles is not even in the top 100 most dangerous cities in 2010. The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mostly Nice Places

Old 10-28-2011, 02:32 AM

29,008 posts, read 19,442,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
Actually Los Angeles isn't very high crime for its size. It used to be, and that reputation has never left. Look it up if you don't believe me, Los Angeles is not even in the top 100 most dangerous cities in 2010. The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mostly Nice Places
I am not sure how anyone can call any city on that list "nice" - the guy thinks Camden is "nice" because of it's aquarium? Whatever! And I suppose if the Cardinals win game 7 tomorrow St. Louis should drop from the # 1 spot.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM

215 posts, read 382,412 times
The article might suck, but the rankings are pulled from the FBI rankings released each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles