U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 AM

12,192 posts, read 21,284,139 times

Advertisements

They became mothers (and now grandmothers) and moved to Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley.

Last edited by David Aguilar; 04-10-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 03:32 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,702,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The became mothers (and now grandmothers) and moved to Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley.
^^^^^^

This. Santa Clarita also. The last LA white flight.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 AM

16,444 posts, read 17,362,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm so old I remember when "dude" referred to someone who couldn't ride a horse...
And when "gay" meant happy...

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 AM

421 posts, read 704,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I noticed that too. It actually pisses me off. I once worked with a girl who would start a sentence with "dude" and end it with "dude". She would talk really loud too, which didn't help.
When i was coming up in L.A. during the late 60's-70's, I thought only the older soul brothas called each other that; "Hey, whats happenin' dude?" And you never heard any ladies refer to themselves that way, which would've been insulting. Times have changed a lot!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,052,078 times
The south Valley was always heavily Jewish, not Russian or Israeli. Tarzana and Studio City was where all the old time Hollywood execs semi retired.

If you read Adam Carolla's book, he talks about the demographics of the Valley during that time. He mentions North Hollywood High. The south Valley was Jewish, the mid Valley was mostly white, and the north Valley at that time was Mexican.

Today, the south Valley is still heavily Jewish and Middle Eastern, but the mid Valley (plus Pacoima/Panorama) is Hispanic and the north Valley is white.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 AM

6,102 posts, read 14,277,636 times
Most of the white people, including the "Valley girls" moved to surrounding areas - Santa Clarita, the Conejo Valley (which includes Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, and Agoura Hills), and Simi Valley. I wasn't a Valley girl back in the day, but the movie was very entertaining.

The demographics were changing even as early as the mid-90s; I remember people being interviewed after the Northridge Earthquake in 1994, and many of them were from Mexico or Central America.

If I didn't mind having a long commute I'd even contemplate moving out of the SF Valley, but I now cherish my 13 miles one way. I've done the 30 mile commute before, and it's no fun. I'd especially never live in Santa Clarita, because of that bottle neck at the 5/14.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 AM

26,347 posts, read 77,210,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Almost every time I tell someone I live in the Valley, the film "Valley Girl" gets mentioned. So I watched the film to get some understanding. I now see that the Valley has changed a lot and it's not like it was back in the 80's so I don't know why the film keeps on being mentioned to this day? Back then it was very white. What changed? Where did all those "Valley girls" go? Did they all move to Brentwood? Santa Monica (especially that mall)? Orange County? San Diego especially North County? I'm not seeing them on a daily basis. There's times where I feel like I hardly see white people anymore.

I'm curious to know how and why the valley changed? I can't seem to find much online so maybe people who were born/raised in the Valley can enlighten me. I understand the Iranian revolution but how did it get such a high Armenian, Russian, Israeli and Mexican population? I'm mainly speaking for the areas of Tarzana, Encino, Sherman Oaks and Van Nuys.

Apparently in the film Valley Girl, the yuppy house party was filmed in Canoga Park but I hear that's a really rough/gang related area now.

When I lived in San Diego (UTC, La Jolla), I found that to be more like the Valley from the 80's.

So I'm curious...
There might not be less "Valley Girls"; there just might be more of everyone else.

"In the 1980s, 75 percent of the Valley's population classified themselves as white. Now, the area boasts the most diversity within Los Angeles.
With a population of 1.8 million, the Valley is 42 percent white, 42 ercent Latino, 10 percent Asian and nearly 4 percent African-American, according to the most recent data."

from

'Valley Girl' at 25: Big hair is gone, but spirit lingers, fer sure - LA Daily News - October 10, 2010

LA's Changing Demographics

Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,067,337 times
Valley girl speak 2011: Like, ay dios mio! para sure, para sure!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM

3,750 posts, read 5,636,542 times
Oh I do remember those "Valley Girl" days in the 1980s. The valley was a fun place back then.:-)

Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM

16,095 posts, read 20,944,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
The south Valley was always heavily Jewish, not Russian or Israeli. Tarzana and Studio City was where all the old time Hollywood execs semi retired.
Given that Studio City and Toluca Lake were very convenient to where their lots were, I wouldn't say they "semi-retired" there!

Quote:
If you read Adam Carolla's book, he talks about the demographics of the Valley during that time. He mentions North Hollywood High. The south Valley was Jewish, the mid Valley was mostly white, and the north Valley at that time was Mexican.

Today, the south Valley is still heavily Jewish and Middle Eastern, but the mid Valley (plus Pacoima/Panorama) is Hispanic and the north Valley is white.
Since when are San Fernando and Sun Valley mostly non-Latino white? Arleta, Lakeview Terrace, Mission Hills, North Hills, and Sylmar haven't been majority non-Latino white in many years.

The most non-Latino, non-Middle Eastern whites in the Valley are in Burbank where they co-exist with their Latino and Armenian neighbors quite well - much better than in other parts of the Valley. Not being part of LAUSD kept Burbank immune from white flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles