Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 AM

72 posts, read 183,665 times

Advertisements

I'm a black dude, from South CAROLINA, who od'd on 'Save By The Bell'. Those were the days. I actually watched the re-runs well into the early 2000's. The clothes are so dated, that I can't watch it without getting a migraine.

Go Bayside.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
The Valley still seems mostly white to me. I had friends and classmates who were from there, and most of them were white... also had an ex whom I'm still really close with from there who was Chinese-American, but she was admittedly totally whitewashed and now is kind of a hippie who lives in Oregon.

That said, I think that the stereotypes once associated with the Valley - white, wealthy, insulated from reality, concerned with fashion and material pursuits - while still alive and well in certain parts of the SFV/SGV, has migrated south to Orange County, where shows like "The OC" and "Laguna Beach" were filmed. Don't know if anyone rememberd the 2002 Jack Black movie "Orange County," but it's basically about a kid who's grown up in Orance County who has an existential crisis after his best friend dies surfing and realizes he's surrounded by vapid airheads.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM

Also, one thing I think is important to realize is that - don't laugh - a lot of the things that people blame for LA/OC/SFV/SGV's "ditziness" is culutural misunderstanding. The same way that someone from the South can have a drawl but be an intellectual free-thinker who attended Columbia, there are plenty of people from the LA area who will go "Dude!" whenever they see a friend or are presented with something unexpected; say "like" more than is generally acceptable in other areas; begin a story with, "oooooh my god... so...", etc.

I have a coworker who's an Asian-American gal from Irvine, born-and-raised by parents from the LA area. She has the prototypical Valley Girl accent, candor, and verbiage... you'll come in and go, "Hey, ______, how are you today?" and she'll answer, "Ooooh my gawd, sooo... last night... I was, like, heading home on the bus...? And you know how you have those really cool Asics I haven't been able to find for my boyfriend? Like, this guy gets on the bus, and he totally has them and I'm like 'oh my god, wheeeeere did you get those Asics?' And he doesn't remember! I'm like, how can you not remember where you got your Asics? They're soooooo cool!"

zzz.

The thing is that she went to UC Irvine and later UCLA, and studied abroad for a year in Oxford. She's plenty intelligent. She also hates Southern CA, and when I asked her why, her answer was, "Oh my god... people there are, like, so stupid and boring..." She just has an accent that people, unfortunately, generally associate with stupidity.

Not to say that everyone in OC/SFV/SGV is an intelligent, inquisitive, sensible person. I met plenty of people from those areas that lived up to the stereotypes to a T: younger people who were attending school because their parents didn't really give them a choice, who bumbled through stoned and hungover in board shorts and Oakleys, not understanding why they had to get an education and go get a job when their parents totally had enough money as it was. Not really any different from any other upper-middle-class suburb.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Almost every time I tell someone I live in the Valley, the film "Valley Girl" gets mentioned. So I watched the film to get some understanding. I now see that the Valley has changed a lot and it's not like it was back in the 80's so I don't know why the film keeps on being mentioned to this day? Back then it was very white. What changed? Where did all those "Valley girls" go? Did they all move to Brentwood? Santa Monica (especially that mall)? Orange County? San Diego especially North County? I'm not seeing them on a daily basis. There's times where I feel like I hardly see white people anymore.

I'm curious to know how and why the valley changed? I can't seem to find much online so maybe people who were born/raised in the Valley can enlighten me. I understand the Iranian revolution but how did it get such a high Armenian, Russian, Israeli and Mexican population? I'm mainly speaking for the areas of Tarzana, Encino, Sherman Oaks and Van Nuys.

Apparently in the film Valley Girl, the yuppy house party was filmed in Canoga Park but I hear that's a really rough/gang related area now.

When I lived in San Diego (UTC, La Jolla), I found that to be more like the Valley from the 80's.

So I'm curious...
I know what you mean. When I arrived here in 1990 from New York there were so many more White people in the Valley. Right after the LA riots all my White teenage baby-sitters and their families started leaving. I guess they didn't feel safe. I think they went North towards Thousand Oaks, San Luis Obispo, Northern CA, Oregon and Washington. It's really weird. I don't see any American Black people here anymore either. Just lots and lots of new immigrants from everywhere.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What on earth happen to Sherman Oaks Galleria? It use to be a shopping mall!
Dead Malls dot Com: Feature: Sherman Oaks Galleria: Los Angeles, California

The adjacent offices ...
Warner Bros. Animation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FWIW, the Animaniacs episode 'Survey Ladies' used the old Sherman Oaks Galleria as the design model for the mall and escalators.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

I have a coworker who's an Asian-American gal
She has the prototypical Valley Girl accent, candor, and verbiage..
she went to UC Irvine and later UCLA, and studied abroad for a year in Oxford. She's plenty intelligent.
She also hates Southern CA,

when I asked her why, her answer was, "Oh my god... people there are, like, so stupid and boring..."

She's plenty intelligent.
Does she stereotype much?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Does she stereotype much?
Her words, not mine. I like Orange County.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 AM

420 posts, read 877,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Her words, not mine. I like Orange County.
Well ask her if she studied humility or tolerance? She sounds a bit arrogant. Going to college sometimes has that effect on people.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post
Well ask her if she studied humility or tolerance? She sounds a bit arrogant. Going to college sometimes has that effect on people.
I'll pass.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I know what you mean. When I arrived here in 1990 from New York there were so many more White people in the Valley. Right after the LA riots all my White teenage baby-sitters and their families started leaving. I guess they didn't feel safe. I think they went North towards Thousand Oaks, San Luis Obispo, Northern CA, Oregon and Washington. It's really weird. I don't see any American Black people here anymore either. Just lots and lots of new immigrants from everywhere.
According to wikipedia, the Valley is just over 40% Hispanic and 10% Asian, but this also includes Burbank and Glendale. Taking just the "Valley" as we know it (minus those cities), the Valley is probably closer to 50% Hispanic and 12% Asian. Assuming Middle Eastern is not "white," (which is a prevelent statement by many white Europeans) and add in the few percentage of African Americans, then the actual white population of the Valley is probably in the 25% range.

For the African American population, the city of LA is now 9.8% and LA County is 9.6%, which is much smaller than most people anticipate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles